Sponsored by:

ERP Camber Plates

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ERP Camber Plates

I apologize up front if this is in the wrong forum. There is little traffic in the two forums I considered for this post (964 Turbo and Mods), so I thought I'd try here, where the experts are...

My question:

How do I get more negative camber out of my stock-ish (H&R lowering kit) Turbo 3.6 suspension? I do not have the budget to install a "proper" track suspension but need to get more negative camber (only at -.7, I'm told that's all there is) because I'm killing tires fast!

Will the ERP camber plates work with my stock struts? If so, will they give me -2 to -3 degrees of negative camber?

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:27 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Craig Watkins at Smart Racing Products, his knowledge and first rate products paired with a good porsche alignment shop will set you up. HIs catalog is online at SmartRacingProducts.com and discusses lots of suspension bits. What tires are you running? If hoosiers, I'm sure you'll need another 1.5 degrees or so, maybe a set of monoballs and a good alignment will simply do the trick.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:46 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think slotted camber plates would give you the setting you need because they allow you to move the tops of the struts closer together. I don't see why they would not work with stock struts although you may need to fabricate some special spacer(s) that go between the strut rod and the monoball. It's hard to describe the spacers but they are used to position the strut rod inside the monoball allowing the monoball the proper range of motion.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:50 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JC in NY
I would think slotted camber plates would give you the setting you need because they allow you to move the tops of the struts closer together. I don't see why they would not work with stock struts although you may need to fabricate some special spacer(s) that go between the strut rod and the monoball. It's hard to describe the spacers but they are used to position the strut rod inside the monoball allowing the monoball the proper range of motion.
URL for part?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:11 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Does everything have a URL?

I found this on the Racer's group site:

http://www.theracersgroup.com/parts/...er%20plate.jpg

If you look at the photo of the rear camber plates you will see the spacers I am talking about.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:28 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey C;

First, I have no direct experience with the ERP plates or your application.

The ERP plates do not look like they offer a whole ton of adjustment, but they may do the job. I note that they pivot on one bolt while the other bolts in the bearing plate slide in an arced pattern. I must assume this is for a reason, but it confuses me a bit. I would think this would alter caster, but it may be just a perception, or be so minor as to be inconsequential.

The spacers that JC refers to are reducer bushings that size the metric strut rod to the sligthly larger ID of the SAE spherical bearing. I might think they come with the camber plates, but if not they can probably be had from various sources.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:08 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
The spacers that JC refers to are reducer bushings that size the metric strut rod to the sligthly larger ID of the SAE spherical bearing. I might think they come with the camber plates, but if not they can probably be had from various sources.
Hi John. Yes normally they come with the camber plates. But the camber plates are usually used with the RSR struts which may have a different shaft diameter than the stock struts. That was my concern. I'd hate to see Dr. Jupeman overnight the parts in an attempt to get ready for a track event the next morning and be stuck with the wrong spacers.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:04 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a pic of my ERP plates on my 993. Note, the shock opening and strut brace had to be machined to get full adjustability on the plates.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple things you can do here. The first option would be the ERP Plates and they will give you all the adjustment you need. They come with the reducers you need for a M14 shaft which your stock shocks should have. With the amount of camber you are looking for on your car, you may not have to do any extra cutting but to get the full range of the plates you will have to do a little. The other option to try is this: Your C2 is unique in that it uses a wider A-arm location that a standard C2. In order to achieve stock camber the stock upper shock mounts are rotated 180 degrees. You can rotate them back like a standard C2 and see if you can get the camber you want that way. I have a feeling though it might be too much negative but, give it a try.

Quick Reply: ERP Camber Plates