Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone selling a full cage for a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004 | 12:44 PM
smokey
Pro

Mike Buck, your Piper cage is elegant. Two questions: how did they get the tubes through the dash? Did they have to remove the dash or the window, or just cut the appropriate holes? And where did you get the insert and strap for the driver's door that replaces the standard door pull and pocket? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2004 | 05:52 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

To run the tubes through the dash, Mitch pulls the windshield. It will break, so factor ~$420 into the cage price.

The door pull I made myself. The map pocket and factory pull must removed because of the door bars. I used a nylon strap from a set of factory floormat holders and connected though an existing bolt hole in the door. It might be the only thing I've ever made myself that works
Old 07-22-2004 | 09:05 PM
smokey
Pro

Thanks for the info, Mike. I just put in a new windshield after a crash at Mosport, so I may try another route. The other method I've seen is to route the tube through the vents. I'll have to find out whether that can be done without removing the windshield. Not as elegant as yours, but should provide almost as much foot room for getting in and out. If I has known better, I would have left the windshield out and had the cage installed. Anyway, you have a great solution. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-22-2004 | 10:46 PM
Jack667
Drifting

I have a Safety Devices cage and I like it. I started with a roll bar which consists of a main hoop and two parallel supports that run to the rear, just under the rear end of the back window, on the fenderwell with a welded on backing plate. There is also a diagonal from the upper driver's side, close to the bend, down to the rear passenger mount of that parallel bar mentioned above. Finally, there is a cross bar, running parallel to the top of the main hoop, which runs from the the driver's to the passenger's side of the main hoop. There's a bend on each end of the pipe, moving most of the length furth towrd the rear. This bar has harness loops in it. I have no cross in the back of the car, although I suppose I could add that later. The front is pretty standard, with bars going along the door frame, basically - across the top and bottom. The top and front (A pillar) section hugs the interior pretty well, and the door bars are high enough that I have to expend some effort to lift my leg over. I have a bar that goes across the top of the windshield, but not one through the dash. I was advised that it was more trouble than it was worth. I was also told that if it didn't go through the dash like the one pictured earlier in this thread (gorgeous!), but was exposed, it might do more harm than good, as it could really mess up my knees as I am over 6'. I may get a second opinion on that one - any thoughts from the experts on the board?
(Mainly wanted to say that I have the SD cage, and I like it, and it should meet the NASA rules. No affiliation, other than a satisfied customer)
Old 07-22-2004 | 10:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, Jack!
Old 07-23-2004 | 12:26 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark:
I see the following letters in your future - MoTeC
Old 07-23-2004 | 12:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Sam,

Well, hell has frozen over, and the devil is doing pirouettes with his skirt in the air: you've finally posted an avatar! Looks great.

Quit writin' checks for me!
Old 07-23-2004 | 01:00 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks! The time had come Mark. Digital Pete snapped that one and was excellent to deal with it. (There are numerous photos on his page of various Summit events) John D assisted in the resizing of the photo. Thanks to both for their help.

Motec, airjacks, fuel cell, when does it end??

Quick Reply: Is anyone selling a full cage for a 993?