Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone selling a full cage for a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004 | 01:48 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know someone selling a full custom cage for a 993. PM me.
Old 07-21-2004 | 08:39 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well...

You can probably guess how I feel about cages that come in a box!
http://redlinerennsport.homestead.com/CagePage.html
You won't find anything that will please and protect you as much as Mike's, or the ones pictured on my site. WORD!
Old 07-21-2004 | 08:54 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Chris - Who's Mitch Piper?

I should probably finish up my rookie races before I think of moving up a class or three...

MetalSolid - Thank you. Will do at some point today.

John - Yeah, I know you hate the cage-in-a-box thing but I have to deal with the money-in-my-wallet issue. I certainly won't discount the custom cages.

Thanks, guys!
Old 07-21-2004 | 11:32 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

I remember when we installed my welded cage in the C2...the welder looked and me and said "you sure you wanna do this? There's no turnin' back after I'm done"...of course, at that point, I knew my C2 would never be a street car again.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a custom cage, but at the time, I was reaching the end of my annual racing buget (heck, I think I was advanced three years at that point) and the OG Racing cage suited me just fine and to be honest, it still does. Still, I'd like to have one of those nifty roof cross braces I see on the 964 cup cars
Old 07-21-2004 | 12:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Manny. I'm definitely considering it.
Old 07-21-2004 | 12:32 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Moving up classes - already...Boy have you got it bad...

What are you thinking? Where do you want to run and what mods are you planning. The sooner I can get you out of D the sooner I can start club racing.

-Skip
Old 07-21-2004 | 01:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swftiii
Moving up classes - already...Boy have you got it bad...

What are you thinking? Where do you want to run and what mods are you planning. The sooner I can get you out of D the sooner I can start club racing.

-Skip
No, no, no. I'm not moving anywhere. If this is your attempt to jedi mindtrick me into leaving D, ain't gonna work; you and I will have to find a way to "co-exist" in this class.

No other mods planned. Getting a cage and a HANS device are the last items on my to-do list.
Old 07-21-2004 | 02:25 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Default On the rear X

This was brought up by the (not sure if current) race director with NASA-VA. Felt it was worth mentioning (quote from http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=906796) if you are looking to do a cage like on the previous page.

15.5.11 Rear Braces
The main hoop must have two (2) braces extending to the rear. The braces shall be
attached as near as possible to the top of the main hoop, and no more than six (6)
inches below the top. The braces must not contain any bends. There must be at
least 30 degrees between the plane of the main hoop and the plane of the rear braces.
The main hoop rear braces shall be installed to form no more than a one hundred five
(105) degree angle or no less than a seventy (75) degree angle with the main hoop
when viewed from the top. The main hoop braces may be mounted at the rear shock
mounts or suspension pickup points (providing that the braces remain in compliance with
all other sections of the CCR). They may go through any rear bulkheads provided the
bulkhead is sealed around the cage braces.

When viewed from the top the rear supports for the main hoop of the roll cage CANNOT
be more than 15 degrees off a line extending 90 degrees to the rear, when extending to the rear mounts.

Do your "X" rear supports meet this requirement??

PS.. SCCA has no rule about this and allows "X" supported main hoops.
Personally, I would not want to rely on a single bar at its intersection for the support of the rear half of the cage. Your opinion may differ but just an FYI as it might not conform to the rules of the particular sanctioning body you wish to race with (or have the option to race with).
Old 07-21-2004 | 02:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Adam, I appreciate it. I saw the rules but haven't had a chance to print out the 9 million pages.

I thought NASA might be a fun alternative to PCA since I saw so many other of my racing buddies doing NASA events. I don't recall any of these guys having issues in getting their off-the-rack cages to meet the rules, but, clearly, more research is needed, and part of the reason I had put off even asking about cages in the first place.
Old 07-21-2004 | 02:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Kim,

Shoot, I forgot to add the words "this year."

Seriously, I am mostly done for a while. ie for the next twelve months.
Old 07-21-2004 | 03:02 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Mark in B, a bubble wraped cage probably would pass tech in this respect as most designs I have seen have two rear legs roughly parallel to each other with either a cross or a diagonal. As for your mods ... I would suggest that the best suspension and safety and pimp factor mod you can make, all wrapped up into one, is the cage. Provided it is well designed, well executed and legal for the series you wish to run (and I am not a fan of bolt in cages for racing and don't think they preserve the car that well for "resale" either if that is the intent).

Best of luck.
Old 07-21-2004 | 05:31 PM
DCLee
Pro

Default 993 cage

I know a guy who has a disassembled 993 custom cage for sale. It just came out of his T-T. I have a few pix. Let me know if there's interest...

Lee in D.C.
(happy Safety Devices user)
Old 07-21-2004 | 05:47 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Adam - Is "two rear legs roughly parallel to each other with either a cross or a diagonal" good or bad? Sounds good to me, but your post leads me to believe it's bad.

Lee - Can you PM me with the guy's info? Thanks!
Old 07-21-2004 | 06:08 PM
DCLee
Pro

Default Mark: send me your e-mail, will respond

Not sure how to send u a private msg. My e-mail is lee_walczak@businessweek.com
Old 07-21-2004 | 06:44 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adam;

Are you saying - or does NASA say - ONLY two rear stays? The snip of the rules you quoted here does not say that to me. It says there "must be two." I take that to mean AT LEAST two, and then specifies their angles to the main hoop, which are logical. It does not say that there must ONLY be two, or that there can't be more.

The rear X is a good thing, Mark. It not only triangulates the rear chassis for stiffness, but increases the roll resistance of the cage quite a bit under certain circumstances. About the only bad thing is that they can be tricky to pass through a firewall, and they can foul your rearward view.

Quick Reply: Is anyone selling a full cage for a 993?