Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best "affordable" GT car for a developing DE driver

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 03:42 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Everyone has a different notion of what is "affordable"..

I would suggest an older, early boxster or even better an early Cayman S. Look for 2006-2008... Lower cost of entry and without huge power that can mask poor driving habits.

And - If you think a 2006 Cayman/S is not worthy.
Check out what well driven a 2006 Spec Cayman/S can do compared to many new cars.

Oh Sure - I'd love a cup car. I loved my 996/GT3 too. But these are not affordable GT cars for a developing DE driver.
Old Yesterday | 03:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,352 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Everyone has a different notion of what is "affordable"..

If you think a 2006 Cayman/S is not worthy, check out what well driven a 2006 Spec Cayman/S can do compared to many new cars.
Hah! Agreed! Well driven SPC cars are quicker than nearly all DE-driven 981 and 718 GT4 street cars. On big tracks, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old Yesterday | 05:11 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
Nope. I 100% think thats a plenty capable car.

In the original post, the OP mentioned doing 3-5 track days a year and being an intermediate driver. I think we often forget just how much car all of these actually are. My vote would be to keep the Carrera T for now and continue to develop skill set.

Maybe put a deeper race type seat in the car so not sliding around as much, but nothing else at this point. Then get a coach or instructor to sit right seat at least once a day every day on track. Have a plan on what you what to work on, and where you want to work on it depending on the track. Starting with vision add smoothness. Focus on working on braking (its not where you start your braking but where you end it) and having an incredibly smooth release to the point of no being able to tell when the very last bit of brake is released. Maybe once you can do that, go to a bit more aggressive brake pad and again working on the braking.

Its way too often that instructors see people in newer, very powerful cars and literally have no ability to drive (the car and electronics do everything). Its much harder to learn that smoothness and nuance in a higher performance platform. There is still so much to learn here with what you are driving. I'd even venture to say that if you got a great instructor or coach, that person could likely help you shave 5 or more seconds a lap your first event - and you would be a much safer driver even though going much faster.

That would be my counsel (and thats coming from a guy with a Cup Car).
Driving a GT car is almost like using a cheat code in a game. I drove my friends sorted GT4 last time on track and set a PB for the track after just 2 laps, lol. By turn 2, I already felt the car had so much more grip than in my own car. I got lots of comments that it was time for me to trade my 911 (991.2 C4S) for a GT4 (probably a lateral move pricewise), but nope, I track about 6x per year, but drive on the street more and I know I need to work on my own driving skills (car is also not optimized - camber/tire, but that's just my excuse).
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 06:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,352 Likes on 1,904 Posts

I'll only say that after working with tens of thousands of drivers in a DE environment over the last couple decades, and hundreds of serious 981 GT4 CS. 718 GT4 CS, 718 GT4 RS CS as well as the last five versions of the GT3 Cup back to the 996 Cup, the platform that is the best for a developing DE driver is still the mid-engine platform of the last twelve years.

The street GT4's are great dual-purpose cars, well balanced, with nothing out of proportion to anything else (good balance between ALL the capabilities, braking, acceleration, lateral acceleration, transitional handling and power).

Not that the rear engine platform isn't a visceral charge and ultimately equally if not more competent. but it takes more practice and is a fair bit tougher to learn the limits of such a platform and GET close to them.

it's just my personal opinion and experience that the mid-engine platform allows most casual drivers (less than a dozen times a year) to progress more quickly, safely.

Last edited by ProCoach; Yesterday at 06:14 PM.
Old Yesterday | 08:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,579 Likes on 2,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
For one thing, properly, using the transmission/clutch/flywheel is very different than in a street car. The driver's timing has to be much quicker, particularly on the downshift and heel & toe blip, than you would on a street car.
I thought he was referring to the 996 GT3 street car and not cup.
Old Yesterday | 09:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
I thought he was referring to the 996 GT3 street car and not cup.
Oh? If so, my mistake
The following users liked this post:
multi21 (Today)
Old Yesterday | 09:19 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Am I the only one that thinks the OPs Carrera T is plenty capable for the track?
Nope, it's still overkill IMO. IMO a 3rd gen miata is where it's at, and a toyota 86 can be made to be very quick in the corners by just adding good suspension and wide tires. A fast driver training car to me would be 2800lbs/250-300hp. aka a 987, or a base cayman 718, but the 718 could run into heat issues being turbo so ideally a non turbo car.

The GT4 will take whatever you can throw at it though and do it all day IMO though with no risk of overheating, so there is something to be said for just not having to deal with a car you absolutely need to modify just to run more than 5-10 laps in hot temps. A lot of modern cars have heat issues, and some cant be solved well.

Last edited by Zhao; Yesterday at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Best "affordable" GT car for a developing DE driver