Sponsored by:

The Decline of PCA Club Racing

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,849 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
You mean you have $hitty taste in music as well?

I remember enjoying a meal and some drinks with him outside in Winchester, VA and there was a guy with a guitar playing songs and the whole time Spencer kept yelling "hey now!" which is some hippy dippy Grateful Dead slang to play one of their $hitty songs.

Thankfully the guy did not oblige.
It’s a lyric from Aiko Aiko.
Hippy dippy slang? Really.
And I have chitty taste in music? Wow…
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I’m at Lightning this weekend with my home region NNJR. Everyone here is having a freaking blast. Drivers, students, instructors, guests, EVERYONE.
This is PCA at its finest and why I love it so much.
It may be the cars, but to me, it’s mostly the people. Yes, THE cars and THE people. Can’t think of anywhere else I’d rather be right now and I can’t think of anyone else I’d rather be with.
I just can’t see how this sucks (because it doesn’t). This is the club I fell in love with and the region that got it all started for me to begin with.
It doesn’t suck. It never does.
PCA, The PCA, makes no difference to me.
I love this chit!!!
It sucks as soon as you have an encounter with some grumpy soul sucking no friends guy in authority whos hung up on something that truly doesn't matter and pulls the enjoyment out of it. Given enough people and enough time there will always be one of those guys that exists in an organization.

There are general rules that are definitely imperfect and unnecessary too that sap some enjoyment just from added hoops. One would be requiring instructors to have a mechanical inspection done at a specific approved shop for hundreds of dollars before it can be run at a HPDE. Sorry, that is a dumb rule. 1) I can tech my own car just fine and I am sure most instructors are qualified on experience to know what is ok and what is a death trap 2) it's 2 years old with 5000 on the odometer so not a death trap. 3) I work at a VAG shop where half of us road race and we work on a good chunk of the road race cars in the region, but it can't be done at my shop? Yaaaa, rules lawyering FTL. And there are ways around it because the other PCA region I instruct with allows instructors to self tech.
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
It sucks as soon as you have an encounter with some grumpy soul sucking no friends guy in authority whos hung up on something that truly doesn't matter and pulls the enjoyment out of it. Given enough people and enough time there will always be one of those guys that exists in an organization.

There are general rules that are definitely imperfect and unnecessary too that sap some enjoyment just from added hoops. One would be requiring instructors to have a mechanical inspection done at a specific approved shop for hundreds of dollars before it can be run at a HPDE. Sorry, that is a dumb rule. 1) I can tech my own car just fine and I am sure most instructors are qualified on experience to know what is ok and what is a death trap 2) it's 2 years old with 5000 on the odometer so not a death trap. 3) I work at a VAG shop where half of us road race and we work on a good chunk of the road race cars in the region, but it can't be done at my shop? Yaaaa, rules lawyering FTL. And there are ways around it because the other PCA region I instruct with allows instructors to self tech.
The only region I’ve ever EVER run with that has instructors go through the tech line is GVCBMW.
Never seen that at a PCA DE.
Instructors always self tech or peer tech. Never the tech line.
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,524 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
You could have saved yourself a bunch of words and instead said "PCA leadership" because you just described them perfectly.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

You could have saved yourself a bunch of words and instead said "PCA leadership" because you just described them perfectly.
Just so you know, people say the same thing about CVR leadership, at least as far as the racetrack events go. You know the rep your region has, yes?
And just so you know, I defend your region the same way I defend PCA leadership as a group.
Just so you know….
OK, 5 minutes to checker. Gotta get ready…..
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Just so you know, people say the same thing about CVR leadership, at least as far as the racetrack events go. You know the rep your region has, yes?
And just so you know, I defend your region the same way I defend PCA leadership as a group.
Just so you know….
OK, 5 minutes to checker. Gotta get ready…..
I'm part of CVR leadership so the rep is wrong. Maybe it was that way years ago but CVR is now firmly focused on the "customer experience."

Unlike PCA national, we saw that perhaps there was a problem, and addressed it.

Some important changes we have made over the years -

1. No longer an adherence to spending a certain amount of track days in a certain run group in order to gain a promotion.
2. As a result, while promotions still must be earned, it can happen much faster based on the driver's skill.
3. We have a separate green student paddock complete with donuts and coffee. This facilitates more interactions between students and instructors, as well as more experienced drivers. It also breeds camaraderie among the new students.
4. Starting this year we allow marques other than Porsche at all of our events, while in the past that was limited to our WGI events only.
You have attended our driver's meeting - we don't take ourselves seriously.

We are serious about keeping safe. We are serious about teaching people how to drive. We are equally safe about having fun.

One of my main roles as the assistant track chair is dispute resolution. In my several years in this position I have never had one argument because I listen to what people have to say and speak to everyone with respect. Whenever there is a misunderstanding, or tempers get out of hand, my approach is to get everyone calm and back to having fun. That's why we are here - to have fun.

I wish PCA national had this approach, but sadly, they do not.

As disappointed as I am with PCA national, I am even more proud of CVR's leadership and ethos.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I'm part of CVR leadership so the rep is wrong. Maybe it was that way years ago but CVR is now firmly focused on the "customer experience."

Unlike PCA national, we saw that perhaps there was a problem, and addressed it.

Some important changes we have made over the years -

1. No longer an adherence to spending a certain amount of track days in a certain run group in order to gain a promotion.
2. As a result, while promotions still must be earned, it can happen much faster based on the driver's skill.
3. We have a separate green student paddock complete with donuts and coffee. This facilitates more interactions between students and instructors, as well as more experienced drivers. It also breeds camaraderie among the new students.
4. Starting this year we allow marques other than Porsche at all of our events, while in the past that was limited to our WGI events only.
You have attended our driver's meeting - we don't take ourselves seriously.

We are serious about keeping safe. We are serious about teaching people how to drive. We are equally safe about having fun.

One of my main roles as the assistant track chair is dispute resolution. In my several years in this position I have never had one argument because I listen to what people have to say and speak to everyone with respect. Whenever there is a misunderstanding, or tempers get out of hand, my approach is to get everyone calm and back to having fun. That's why we are here - to have fun.

I wish PCA national had this approach, but sadly, they do not.

As disappointed as I am with PCA national, I am even more proud of CVR's leadership and ethos.
Glad to hear all that, and I love running with you guys, but that reputation always follows you. I know what CVR is and the changes y’all made to fix it, but that rep is there. Is it fair today, no, but that’s the rep CVR has, and I defend you guys to folks the same way I defend PCA.
I personally never had an issue with CVR but I’ve also never had an issue with PCA except for one personal thing that happened years ago, but that was personal, not PCA.
You make valid points, but IMHO, so does PCA.
The way you talk about them bothers me the same way people talk about CVR bothers me n

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear all that, and I love running with you guys, but that reputation always follows you. I know what CVR is and the changes y’all made to fix it, but that rep is there. Is it fair today, no, but that’s the rep CVR has, and I defend you guys to folks the same way I defend PCA.
I personally never had an issue with CVR but I’ve also never had an issue with PCA except for one personal thing that happened years ago, but that was personal, not PCA.
You make valid points, but IMHO, so does PCA.
The way you talk about them bothers me the same way people talk about CVR bothers me n
CVR had some self-awareness and we fixed our issues.

PCA national has zero self-awareness and doubles down on stupid.
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

CVR had some self-awareness and we fixed our issues.

PCA national has zero self-awareness and doubles down on stupid.
Im not gonna have this discussion with you in public.
Stoopid that I even started it.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

The only region I’ve ever EVER run with that has instructors go through the tech line is GVCBMW.
Niagra
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 140 Posts

First Settlers...
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Niagra
Nope
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELange0322
First Settlers...
Nope
Old Today, 12:00 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Nope
They did it to me when we were there together. Remember my story?

Quick Reply: The Decline of PCA Club Racing