Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iron rotors and pads on PCCB setup and ABS

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 06:03 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 235 Posts

I've got a lot of experience with this, testing on both my own car and testing with customer cars.

The 3.12 pad is a high torque pad that takes more finesse on application and release than other choices if one wishes to stay in threshold and out of the ABS. May drivers on street tires (Cup 2s) find it easier to modulate on the 1.11 compound than on the 3.12. Switching your pad compound should be a relatively easy route to help mitigate the issue.

Too many drivers simply default to the highest torque they can find because the internet said so, but those pads are often better suited for race application than for HPDE cars (and drivers). When I raced with slicks I ran a very high torque pad. but now that I am doing HPDE with a street car on 200 TW tires, I find that a lower torque pad helps ensure that the grip of the pad does not over power the grip of the tires, which is usually the limiting factor.

Watch this threshold braking event on the 1.11 compound ask yourself if you really think you need more torque than this?

Old 06-07-2024, 04:25 PM
build.bat
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
RS braking performance is pretty mind boggling coming from more normal performance car platforms like M.

Provided you have the tires for it, aero in maximum attack, proper alignment -- considerably deeper into a high speed brake zone, smooth but very aggressive initial application, then the trail is pretty accelerated as well. Overall less time under braking than you're used to. RS returns to equilibrium for turn in so quickly, efficiently. It doesn't respond well to any half hearted braking techniques Also allow the front axle to work on turn in similar to an M car.
yea makes sense. note i do not have an RS, just a regular plain gt3 (992).

Originally Posted by steveP911
Last thing. Are you regularly checking your alignment? Are both rear wheels equally set with proper toe-in (not out)? I discovered this once and it had played heck with me in max braking zones. Added a toe link locking kit to resolve it.

Good luck.
i have not checked the alignment yet, i have only been out 4 times since i got the car last october and i got the alignment with my break-in service, but i have a few recalls and whatnot, i will make sure have the alignment checked, but currently i have pretty spot on tire wear and i seem to really pleased with my alignment otherwise. had SPL suspension on my g80 m3, so i could look at some toe link locks if its coming out of alignment.

Originally Posted by jakermc
I've got a lot of experience with this, testing on both my own car and testing with customer cars.

The 3.12 pad is a high torque pad that takes more finesse on application and release than other choices if one wishes to stay in threshold and out of the ABS. May drivers on street tires (Cup 2s) find it easier to modulate on the 1.11 compound than on the 3.12. Switching your pad compound should be a relatively easy route to help mitigate the issue.

Too many drivers simply default to the highest torque they can find because the internet said so, but those pads are often better suited for race application than for HPDE cars (and drivers). When I raced with slicks I ran a very high torque pad. but now that I am doing HPDE with a street car on 200 TW tires, I find that a lower torque pad helps ensure that the grip of the pad does not over power the grip of the tires, which is usually the limiting factor.

Watch this threshold braking event on the 1.11 compound ask yourself if you really think you need more torque than this? https://youtu.be/9cv0wkpKycY
yea interesting and pads are super easy to swap and experiment with. yea i have cup2s on now and have goodyear f1s mounted and ready to go next. i have tried cup2r before and given the type of track days i do, in the summer, i found the Rs to great for the first 1 or 2 sessions in the morning and be terrible the rest of the day. so i just find it easier to stick with cup2 and similar rubber. i used these same pads on my g80 m3 with cup2s, never had any issues and that car required a lot harder braking. lol. i have some girodisc pads to try and could try the fredos or less aggressive cobalts, pagids, or girodisc pads. thx!
Old 06-08-2024, 08:19 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 888 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by build.bat
yea makes sense. note i do not have an RS, just a regular plain gt3 (992).
Oh well, there's your problem

Girodisc with DS3.12 or the Pagid equivalent (RSL1) is the go to setup for good reason. Have seen on dozens of track GT cars, GT3's, RS's, GT4's. Good luck sourcing the issue, but it's not incompatibility of pad/disc/software.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:22 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Oh well, there's your problem

Girodisc with DS3.12 or the Pagid equivalent (RSL1) is the go to setup for good reason. Have seen on dozens of track GT cars, GT3's, RS's, GT4's. Good luck sourcing the issue, but it's not incompatibility of pad/disc/software.
You left out one important variable - the driver. 3.12 does work very well with the GT ABS system, but it does require a different level of modulation than the 1.11 pad. Especially with a 200 TW tire, When driver's struggle finding the line between threshold and ABS, we often advise to back off the torque on the pad and see if there is a different result. Especially true when the limiting factor is the tires, not the compound of either pad choice.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:25 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 888 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
You left out one important variable - the driver. 3.12 does work very well with the GT ABS system, but it does require a different level of modulation than the 1.11 pad. Especially with a 200 TW tire, When driver's struggle finding the line between threshold and ABS, we often advise to back off the torque on the pad and see if there is a different result. Especially true when the limiting factor is the tires, not the compound of either pad choice.
Yep, that's sound
Old Today, 01:28 AM
build.bat
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

some new data points, but kinda think we have occam's razor here...

TL;DR; my cup2s were probably heat cycled past the point of being useful even though i had a decent amount of tread left.

did a semi-exclusive private day at high plains raceway at june 19th. weather was actually cool, 72F high, today it 97F. got luckily.

new brake pads, switching from cobalt XR1s front and rear to:
  • girodisc gp40s fronts (bedded in at track).
  • endless me20 rears.
previous cup2s tires on OEM wheels. 20/21 (255 front, 315 rear).

immediately the same behavior. on the very first warmup lap even, started talking with folks and my buddy asked me how many heat cycles i had on the cup2s, and i thought, geez probably too many... i went to a porsche car club weekend to get some good driver evaluations from more experienced drivers and while the sessions are not as intense due to number of cars and whatnot, i didn't realize how many heat cycles i actually had on these tires. the tread was still decent since the PCA event wasn't that intense of driving. so i think, i just didn't realize how many heat cycles i had until i went back through my VBOX data and saw that i had ~16 sessions on the tires (PCA weekend and 3 semi-private 8 hour track days), so many sessions per day and decent amount of breaks in between sessions (tires cool down). i think, the problem was the most obvious (hence occams razor) and that the tires were just absolutely heat cycled to hell. lol.

swapped for goodyear F1s i had on another set of OEM wheels and immediately issue was gone and actually posted my personal best lap time at HPR in the 2nd session with the new tires.

F1s performed the rest of the day great. curious how they hold up in the long run, but unfortunately not many (if any) track days for me in july/august.

girodisc gp40s pads were very good. i would say on these 200 treadwear tires, almost couldn't tell a difference with the colbalt XR1s, as i assume the brakes pads are not the weakest link.

planning on testing out the goodyear F1Rs since there is not much other tires for OEM wheels available. i tried the cup2rs on the g80 m3 and they were great for 1-2 sessions and then were absolute toast. total nurburgring hero tire.
Old Today, 10:42 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,717 Likes on 2,129 Posts

It's tire grip in relation to your braking power. @jakermc gives a good visual.

Assuming your tires haven't heat cycled out (sounds like they did), you may need a few laps to get them hot and grippy, or you just need to go to a stickier set of tires. RE71RS seem to be a pretty sticky compound that warm up fast, can handle braking power and can be driven too and from the track. Not bad for a 200w tire. Don't know how they perform in the rain.

PSC2s are pretty much street tires. If they behave like the original pilot sport cups, they will need 2-3 laps to warm up and get sticky, and then wear pretty fast. I would get about 8 sessions out of them at the most. Don't know the F1s.

As a side note, check your tire pressures. You may need to start at lower pressures to get to the right target when hot. Over inflated tires give you a smaller contact patch and a boatload of problems.

Good luck with finding the right mix.
Old Today, 11:00 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GC996
As a side note, check your tire pressures. You may need to start at lower pressures to get to the right target when hot. Over inflated tires give you a smaller contact patch and a boatload of problems.

Good luck with finding the right mix.

Really great point here and often overlooked in the context of braking!!
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (Today)

Quick Reply: iron rotors and pads on PCCB setup and ABS