Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL 2024

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 01:52 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Not sure it's ben mentioned here yet, but I worry about glass windows being up and shattering all over the driver in the case of an impact. I'd rather have them down in the door sill, Yes, I understand the trade-off of a body part exiting the cockpit and doing worse damage, but the broken glass seems more likely to me. (Though I have no data and could be completely wrong about this).

Race cars have lexan and window nets. This issue highlights one of the many compromises made when tracking a street car.
What about your windshield or your rear windows? Have you swapped those out for lexan on the track?
The following users liked this post:
nineball (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 02:10 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
What about your windshield or your rear windows? Have you swapped those out for lexan on the track?

Of course not, but I'm good at math and 2 sides of glass is less than 4 sides.
Ksdaoski (05-29-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 07:51 AM
amurph182
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
and again, everything you posted (and i bolded) is a driver issue.

since we are not in europe, at least most of us, why would we use their methods when they differ from ours?

what about the guy who points straight up in the air instead of over the car? should i drive on top of him?
basic things like passing when a car is coming out of the pits differ from club to club and they all insist that’s the way everyone does it. I guarantee you there are differing perspectives on which way to signal with blinkers, and what to do when a car has its flashers on. When someone I’m on track with does something weird and I go talk to them after the session to see why they did what they did, half the time the answer is “well, that’s what we do in the other clubs I run with.”

you can dismiss these as “driver issues”, but they create confusion on the track. And confusion on the track is a safety issue. Someone giving a point straight up in the air is the same thing, but at least it’s a deliberate action. You can drive around with your blinker on and have no idea, you can’t drive around with your arm accidentally pointing to the sky. Maybe if you don’t use your CPAP I could see that happening but otherwise it’s on purpose.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 851 Posts

Personally, I prefer the windows up. It keeps my weed smoke in the car better while I'm driving.
The following 4 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
d-- (05-31-2024), maschinetheist (06-08-2024), needmoregarage (05-30-2024), thebishman (06-01-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 09:44 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 534 Posts

Windows up. CPAP machine works better that way.
The following 2 users liked this post by ldamelio:
maschinetheist (06-08-2024), needmoregarage (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 10:06 AM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 61 Posts

If you're driving around with the blinkers on the track you should not be on the track. Black flag and off you go. Similar to if your car is dropping fluid, off the track you go. In my 20+ years of HPDE, I have not seen a car with its blinkers stuck on for more than a few corners. Just as confusing as trying to look for their tiny arm out the window or pointing inside the car with tinted windows and they're going slow as heck, are they giving me a point by and I can't see it? Should I pass them? That's confusing.

Back to safety, I can't up shift or down shift, drive the car, and stick my arm out the window all at the same time. I'd need a third arm. I definitely don't want any flying debris or car to rip my arm off. I still don't get why there is a debate about sticking your arm out of a car going 100+ MPH is safer?
The following 3 users liked this post by 911TurboRules:
d-- (05-31-2024), Ksdaoski (05-30-2024), nineball (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 10:09 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by amurph182
basic things like passing when a car is coming out of the pits differ from club to club and they all insist that’s the way everyone does it. I guarantee you there are differing perspectives on which way to signal with blinkers, and what to do when a car has its flashers on. When someone I’m on track with does something weird and I go talk to them after the session to see why they did what they did, half the time the answer is “well, that’s what we do in the other clubs I run with.”
which is yet another example of driver issues - not listening to the rules and not executing them.

you can dismiss these as “driver issues”, but they create confusion on the track. And confusion on the track is a safety issue. Someone giving a point straight up in the air is the same thing, but at least it’s a deliberate action. You can drive around with your blinker on and have no idea, you can’t drive around with your arm accidentally pointing to the sky.
i think an sane, reasonable person would agree they are driver issues. sure, they can be the root cause of something safety-related down the line but they are what they are - driver issues. pointing to the sky is just as effective as leaving a blinker on, and both examples of... you guessed it - driver issues!

in the end one point remains the same - no one should suggest taking your hands off the steering wheel and sticking your arm out the window while on track is in any way, shape or form safer than keeping them on the wheel at all times.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:16 AM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 61 Posts

How about performance? I bet the car would go faster down the long straight if the side of my car isn't like an air brake with the windows down? The wind buffeting is really annoying on the modern 911s.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911TurboRules:
d-- (05-31-2024), Ksdaoski (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 11:47 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,814 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Probably should have received a furled/pointed black flag after the first lap
That's asking a lot of flagging to not put Stevie Wonder in the tower.

Every random track day I instruct at except for my primary one always has some car leading a conga line for lap after lap, session after session, usually with an oblivious instructor in it. My last track day I actually pulled my student into the pits because we couldn't see a single car on track at any point anywhere for lap after lap and thought they might have black flagged the session (they didn't keep the flagging lights on green for some reason). As soon as we pull into the pits we can see literally the entire session stuck behind someone with an idiot for an instructor.

I'm pretty vocal at driver meetings at the ones I know a bunch of people, but it still happens. I generally say if you were caught, anywhere, at any time, that means you 100% are slower and are not going to magically get faster so gtfo out of the way. If you think you are faster, they'll then GTFO the way themselves.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:03 AM
amurph182
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
which is yet another example of driver issues - not listening to the rules and not executing them.

i think an sane, reasonable person would agree they are driver issues. sure, they can be the root cause of something safety-related down the line but they are what they are - driver issues. pointing to the sky is just as effective as leaving a blinker on, and both examples of... you guessed it - driver issues!

in the end one point remains the same - no one should suggest taking your hands off the steering wheel and sticking your arm out the window while on track is in any way, shape or form safer than keeping them on the wheel at all times.
If that’s the case then I’m sure there’s an ample supply of incident reports where someone crashed because their hand was out the window
Old 05-31-2024, 08:09 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 245 Posts

If that’s the case then I’m sure there’s an ample supply of incident reports where someone crashed because their hand was out the window

you know what they say about people who assume... no one ever said it results in more crashes however sticking a hand outside your car while on track is not as safe as keeping two hands on the wheel. i guess i could be wrong and you may be the odd man out who thinks one hand out the window is safer. i am not making that assumption though.
911TurboRules (06-01-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 11:11 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,927 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Question.

Anybody aware of PCA regions that allow passing anywhere on the track including while cornering at their DE events for novice, intermediate and advanced run groups?

Sure, nothing would suprise me, but I doubt there are any. The reason is DE is not Club Racing its Drivers Education. Passing is typically allowed at pre-determined areas of the track that are not corners. The argument of pointing coming into and thru a turn is not a valid argument.

But no question, sometimes you will see a courtesy point and pass in the fast run group in the corners. But, if you are running in that group, you should have advanced skills and strong arms that should be able to handle the physical dexterity needed to point and do it safely.

If you are running a car that has fixed windows, no need to point because your should be faster than everybody else anyways. If not, you should get a different car.

Old 05-31-2024, 12:21 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
But no question, sometimes you will see a courtesy point and pass in the fast run group in the corners.
I do this...with my turn signals.
Old 05-31-2024, 05:29 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 197 Posts

Endless arguments on which is better. Can't we talk about motor or something?
Old 06-01-2024, 08:43 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Question.

Anybody aware of PCA regions that allow passing anywhere on the track including while cornering at their DE events for novice, intermediate and advanced run groups?
almost every region i run with has pass anywhere with point in the black group. There r some exceptions in specic areas in some tracks. One if the biggest issues i have with pca instruction is they dont teach this skill.
The following 2 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
GC996 (06-01-2024), thebishman (06-01-2024)

Quick Reply: HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL 2024