Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL 2024

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 09:14 AM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
Default HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL 2024

Updated poll for 2024. Last time in 2018 the poll was 105 closed to 42 open.

Rational for windows UP: safety-keep your limbs inside the car, hands on the wheel for control of steering and shifting, keep debris/water from entering car, better communication with instructor/student with less noise, easier visibility of turn signals compared to smaller hand signals for passing contract.

Rational for windows DOWN: safety-easier for track crew to extract you in an accident, hearing tires and better feel, easier point-byes, this is how it always been done
Old 05-26-2024, 09:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Quote: Oliver Berg, Manager GT-Product Porsche
One option that is not recommended if you ever want to sell the car is air-conditioning delete. “Only 20 the 5,000 first generation 991 GT3 RS owners ticked the box for a/c delete,” said Oliver. “The fact is that while the 14kg weight saving might sound good on paper the discomfort you will experience when wearing a race suit and helmet on track in summer is simply not worth it. You will be hot and bothered and slower because you cannot concentrate as well compared to when you are cool and comfortable.”

Only in the US. In most the rest of the world mandatory windows closed for safety and comfort.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRAKCAR:
d-- (05-26-2024), ragerard (05-27-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 12:03 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Either at the discretion of the driver. The local PCA region does that. No windows open "mid-way," though. Either all the way down or up within 1" of the top.
The following users liked this post:
ragerard (05-27-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 12:30 PM
d--
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I was at a recent CHIN event and we were expecting some heavy rain in the afternoon. The Organizer allowed us the option of rolling up our windows and using turn signals in case of inclement weather. It was a reasonable accommodation and helped extend track time considerably. For those on the right type of tire, getting experience in the rain was quite useful. I personally turned quite a few laps windows up in a light rain and learned a ton about the wet racing line, braking distances, grip level variance from one part of the track to another etc…

At a minimum, if the organizer allows you to run in the rain they should allow windows up and turn signal point bys for the safety of drivers and the protection of the electronics inside these vehicles.
Tedster (06-04-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 12:34 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,784 Likes on 976 Posts

I just took a rock in the face yesterday instructing. Big enough that my student was noticed and was like u ok? Small stuff entering is almost routine when following anyone. Big stuff would be rare but it can happen. I almost took a cone in the head once driving but I swerved just enough to avoid it.

I probably prefer down though when instructing as no one likes to run AC on the track cuz that extra 5% of power is really going to make them look like Senna to all the F1 scouts in the stands O_o. Driver fatigue is probably more of a concern than anything else on the track for adding risk for your average driver. Only 1/2 of my students this year I would say didn't suffer significantly from fatigue. I had 2 go home half way through the day because their body wasn't handling it anymore. (I also think driving suits are stupid at HPDEs because they overheat people. Water should be supplied by organizers and encouraged (why isn't this standard practice?). Shade should be provided at tracks too.) There is a good reason why a lot of the major incidents happen in the last session.
ANGST (05-27-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 12:48 PM
d--
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zhao
I just took a rock in the face yesterday instructing. Big enough that my student was noticed and was like u ok? Small stuff entering is almost routine when following anyone. Big stuff would be rare but it can happen. I almost took a cone in the head once driving but I swerved just enough to avoid it.

I probably prefer down though when instructing as no one likes to run AC on the track cuz that extra 5% of power is really going to make them look like Senna to all the F1 scouts in the stands O_o. Driver fatigue is probably more of a concern than anything else on the track for adding risk for your average driver. Only 1/2 of my students this year I would say didn't suffer significantly from fatigue. I had 2 go home half way through the day because their body wasn't handling it anymore. (I also think driving suits are stupid at HPDEs because they overheat people. Water should be supplied by organizers and encouraged (why isn't this standard practice?). Shade should be provided at tracks too.) There is a good reason why a lot of the major incidents happen in the last session.

LOL! I agree!

I think we all know that the AC systems on almost all modern cars will turn off when the car is at 100% throttle to avoid robbing power. You can get plenty of cooling during coasting or braking events to keep the car nice and comfortable. Fatigue is the big underrated factor here. I live in Atlanta Georgia and summer temperatures are routinely in the 90’s and higher with track temps 120+. That effects drivers so so much.

PS, super sorry about the rock! Sounds like you weren’t hurt which is good. I might have to start closing my visor when I have to run with windows down.
ragerard (05-27-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 02:18 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,784 Likes on 976 Posts

Ya its all good, I use a trac-com for my students so no yelling all day and I don't fully close but usually mostly close my helmet.

I feel like the passenger seat attracts stuff as I am always getting pelted with stuff and I feel like that almost never happens when driving lol.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:48 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

Open, obviously, for safety. Without wind blowing in their faces, most drivers would fall asleep during their track sessions. Check with PCA medical committee if you don’t believe me!
The following 5 users liked this post by facelvega:
ANGST (05-27-2024), Ksdaoski (05-26-2024), ldamelio (05-27-2024), needmoregarage (05-26-2024), SETaylor (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 03:00 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

…I don't fully close but usually mostly close my helmet.

I feel like the passenger seat attracts stuff as I am always getting pelted with stuff and I feel like that almost never happens when driving lol.
From one of my first instructed sessions…..

Zhao (05-27-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 09:34 PM
d--
Instructor

Ya its all good, I use a trac-com for my students so no yelling all day and I don't fully close but usually mostly close my helmet.

I actually went ahead and got a trac-comm system. I too hate yelling, plus I was able to get the wiring to connect my in-helmet speakers to my Garmin Catalyst. That's so flipping good.

Anyway, good tip on lowering the visor a bit. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:43 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

Driver fatigue is probably more of a concern than anything else on the track for adding risk for your average driver. Only 1/2 of my students this year I would say didn't suffer significantly from fatigue. I had 2 go home half way through the day because their body wasn't handling it anymore. (I also think driving suits are stupid at HPDEs because they overheat people. Water should be supplied by organizers and encouraged (why isn't this standard practice?). Shade should be provided at tracks too.) There is a good reason why a lot of the major incidents happen in the last session.

The only times I have seen people leave an HPDE in an ambulance were for heat related issues.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:45 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by d--
I was at a recent CHIN event and we were expecting some heavy rain in the afternoon. The Organizer allowed us the option of rolling up our windows and using turn signals in case of inclement weather. It was a reasonable accommodation and helped extend track time considerably. For those on the right type of tire, getting experience in the rain was quite useful. I personally turned quite a few laps windows up in a light rain and learned a ton about the wet racing line, braking distances, grip level variance from one part of the track to another etc…

At a minimum, if the organizer allows you to run in the rain they should allow windows up and turn signal point bys for the safety of drivers and the protection of the electronics inside these vehicles.
I’m curious: how was the turn signal used? In Europe you signal to the direction in which you will stay. For example, if I’m “pointing by” someone to my driver’s side (left side pass) then I signal to the right and stay to the right side of the track. The signal shows intended direction of the car being passed.

In my experience here in the US, most clubs that use signals want you to signal which side should be passed. So in this case, you’d stay right, and put on your left turn signal (driver side) and the overtaking car would pass on the left because you signaled to the left.

IMO the European method is less confusing and also consistent with how we signal on the road (we signal in the intended direction of travel: if we are going right, we signal right & vice versa).

How did it work being allowed the option? Does this mean some have windows up and use turn signals, while others have windows down and use traditional point-by?

Last edited by needmoregarage; 05-28-2024 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:55 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

A few notes to:

pros - left out the fact that all modern cars have airbags in the doors that generally do not deploy as well when the windows are down.

PCA does not allow this by region (BTDT), PCA National had specific rules requesting hand signals from an open window.

Audi runs with windows up in the US, the signal is used in leau of the hand (point me right, use right signal)

‘’My car has forced windows up and it appears that windows up has many advantages, like not sticking you arm out at 140_ mph while entering a brake zone
Old 05-28-2024, 12:39 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 344 Likes on 235 Posts

up. as noted it is a lot safer to put on a turn signal than it is to stick your right hand out the window and over the car while driving at speed on track.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:57 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
up. as noted it is a lot safer to put on a turn signal than it is to stick your right hand out the window and over the car while driving at speed on track.
Except when someone forgets to cancel their turn signal and it stays on for an entire lap, pretty confusing the car behind.

Quick Reply: HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL 2024