Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL 2024

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 03:08 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BGA23
Except when someone forgets to cancel their turn signal and it stays on for an entire lap, pretty confusing the car behind.
This happens often. Two weeks ago at Mid Ohio a Cayman clubsport did two full laps with its four way flashers on (normally indicating it was going to pit). It created a train for two laps since no one knew if it was safe to pass. Ridiculous....
Old 05-28-2024, 03:22 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,843 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
This happens often. Two weeks ago at Mid Ohio a Cayman clubsport did two full laps with its four way flashers on (normally indicating it was going to pit). It created a train for two laps since no one knew if it was safe to pass. Ridiculous....
I've seen that same thing happened Windows down and somebody accidentally hit the flashers and didn't realize it....

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 05-28-2024 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:30 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by BGA23
Except when someone forgets to cancel their turn signal and it stays on for an entire lap, pretty confusing the car behind.
that's a driver issue not a safety issue. no one can argue that taking a hand off the wheel and sticking it over the car while on track is as safe as having two hands on the wheel.
The following 3 users liked this post by nineball:
911TurboRules (05-28-2024), Veloce Raptor (05-28-2024), Zhao (05-30-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 04:29 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 653 Posts

Probably should have received a furled/pointed black flag after the first lap
The following 5 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
911TurboRules (05-28-2024), ANGST (05-28-2024), sonorous (05-28-2024), thebishman (06-01-2024), Veloce Raptor (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 05:24 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Any system will work if people learn it and use it. None of this is so complicated.

The choice of signalling a point by with the turn signal as "left to pass on left" is consistent with the by-hand point by. When street driving, both a left hand out and a left turn signal means the driver is moving to the left. On the track, both mean for the follower to pass on the left. (At least in the USA)

I prefer the turn signals as they are visible and can be turned on longer. I have missed, or wondered about, hand passing signals and especially when the signal is the right hand inside the car. The quick left out the window and, possibly, over the top may not coincide with when I'm focused on that driver. Or be clear when my car is to the right side of the track in anticipation of passing on the right.

I've spotted cars with the signal left on. A much more common issue is drivers who just never point you by. Making that easy to do and clear helps.
The following users liked this post:
Ksdaoski (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 06:39 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 357 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenL
The choice of signalling a point by with the turn signal as "left to pass on left" is consistent with the by-hand point by. When street driving, both a left hand out and a left turn signal means the driver is moving to the left. On the track, both mean for the follower to pass on the left. (At least in the USA)
I personally think the Nurburgring system is better, because it matches with your muscle memory. If you're moving the car to the right part of the road, you'd put the right signal on, signaling to pass on the left. To put the left signal on while moving the car to the right goes against muscle memory. It's not a huge deal, and I definitely don't expect anyone in the USA to follow what they do in Germany.

Also, this poll should have an option "Both - driver's choice".
George P. (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 07:31 PM
amurph182
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mthreat
Also, this poll should have an option "Both - driver's choice".
which will be huge problem when someone accidentally turns on a turn signal while preferring to use point bys and the car behind him assumes they’ve been given a pass when the driver in front intended no such thing.

Originally Posted by nineball
that's a driver issue not a safety issue.

false. In most groups I run with a pit-in signal is an implied passing signal. If you’re driving around with your flashers on indicating intent to pit and you have no idea, someone is going to try and pass you when you aren’t expecting it. Any time you’re creating ambiguity on the track, either accidentally or through ignorance, it’s a MASSIVE safety issue.

The reason I’m opposed to turn signals is exactly because of how it’s being discussed here. Do we signal to the “American” or “European” side? What if you accidentally hit your flashers or signals? You can say all of that should be discussed in the driver’s meeting, but how many of those have you been to where people stand around in the back chatting and not paying attention? Earlier this year I was at a drivers meeting and saw a guy standing by his car way outside of earshot of the meeting, and first session that dude is out on track doing dumb crap that was explicitly discussed in the meeting. Hell, people IN the meeting and paying attention do dumb crap all the time. I think that signals introduce ambiguity that really isn’t needed in most “car club style” DE’s. People may throw lame point bys, but there’s no ambiguity when someone points over the top of their car which way they are expecting you to go. If someone can show me data that some outsized percentage of DE accidents occur with somneone’s hand out the window giving a point I’ll change my mind.

GC996 (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 08:52 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,366 Likes on 831 Posts

And then there are regions that use flashers ON to indicated its an instructed car where a student is being shown next level skill requirements in next higher run group.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:28 PM
d--
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I’m curious: how was the turn signal used? In Europe you signal to the direction in which you will stay. For example, if I’m “pointing by” someone to my driver’s side (left side pass) then I signal to the right and stay to the right side of the track. The signal shows intended direction of the car being passed.

In my experience here in the US, most clubs that use signals want you to signal which side should be passed. So in this case, you’d stay right, and put on your left turn signal (driver side) and the overtaking car would pass on the left because you signaled to the left.

IMO the European method is less confusing and also consistent with how we signal on the road (we signal in the intended direction of travel: if we are going right, we signal right & vice versa).

How did it work being allowed the option? Does this mean some have windows up and use turn signals, while others have windows down and use traditional point-by?
right signal from the driver meant pass on the right side. You indicated to the overtaking vehicle which side you were offering the pass on.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:47 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm assuming that all of the windows closed votes are from people with working AC.
The following 2 users liked this post by Glyndellis:
Gary R. (05-29-2024), needmoregarage (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 11:54 PM
d--
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
I'm assuming that all of the windows closed votes are from people with working AC.

For me, it’s a vote to have the choice, up or down for the windows. Don’t force one or the other.
mthreat (05-29-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 11:58 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 61 Posts

Cup cars have permanent windows up with no A/C. Yes, don't force one or the other. I should have added that as a option for the poll.
The following 3 users liked this post by 911TurboRules:
d-- (05-29-2024), GlenL (05-29-2024), mthreat (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 07:55 AM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 158 Posts

Yeah, that was me. Sorry for the ridiculousness. Button stuck.
Old 05-29-2024, 11:01 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 354 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by amurph182
which will be huge problem when someone accidentally turns on a turn signal while preferring to use point bys and the car behind him assumes they’ve been given a pass when the driver in front intended no such thing.

false. In most groups I run with a pit-in signal is an implied passing signal. If you’re driving around with your flashers on indicating intent to pit and you have no idea, someone is going to try and pass you when you aren’t expecting it. Any time you’re creating ambiguity on the track, either accidentally or through ignorance, it’s a MASSIVE safety issue.

The reason I’m opposed to turn signals is exactly because of how it’s being discussed here. Do we signal to the “American” or “European” side? What if you accidentally hit your flashers or signals? You can say all of that should be discussed in the driver’s meeting, but how many of those have you been to where people stand around in the back chatting and not paying attention? Earlier this year I was at a drivers meeting and saw a guy standing by his car way outside of earshot of the meeting, and first session that dude is out on track doing dumb crap that was explicitly discussed in the meeting. Hell, people IN the meeting and paying attention do dumb crap all the time. I think that signals introduce ambiguity that really isn’t needed in most “car club style” DE’s. People may throw lame point bys, but there’s no ambiguity when someone points over the top of their car which way they are expecting you to go. If someone can show me data that some outsized percentage of DE accidents occur with somneone’s hand out the window giving a point I’ll change my mind.
and again, everything you posted (and i bolded) is a driver issue.

since we are not in europe, at least most of us, why would we use their methods when they differ from ours?

what about the guy who points straight up in the air instead of over the car? should i drive on top of him?
Old 05-29-2024, 01:47 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 258 Posts

Not sure it's ben mentioned here yet, but I worry about glass windows being up and shattering all over the driver in the case of an impact. I'd rather have them down in the door sill, Yes, I understand the trade-off of a body part exiting the cockpit and doing worse damage, but the broken glass seems more likely to me. (Though I have no data and could be completely wrong about this).

Race cars have lexan and window nets. This issue highlights one of the many compromises made when tracking a street car.

Quick Reply: HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL 2024