Sponsored by:

Best lap timer or data collector?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 12:10 AM
tar6day
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best lap timer or data collector?

I will most likely get into club racing (club C class) down the road, so should I get a good computer or just a plan lap timer? Which brand?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 06-17-2004, 01:17 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Hotlap kind of dominates the market, at least at track events on the west coast. I've heard about a lot of the units having intermittent problems, but there's almost always somebody there with a sender. Overall, I'm happy with mine.

Data loggers will give you lap times, but not while you're driving. At a certain point, it's helpful to get the immediate feedback of knowing if some particular trick made you faster or slower.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:38 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

AMB is different in that you don't get the results right there in the car. It just occurred to me: I have all three variations. The DL-90 datalogger is good for analyzing sessions after the fact. The Hotlap is good for working on laps, right then when you're doing them. The AMB transponder is good for making it clear that there isn't any tomfoolery going on when you beat the Viper.

But if I was only allowed one, it would be the Hotlap I'd keep.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally posted by JackOlsen
AMB is different in that you don't get the results right there in the car.
Are the i-Card systems too hard to read while on track? I personally would prefer not to have that little projectile in the car but I would have thought it would be usable as such.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:10 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Data logger!!! They start at about the same price, about $300 or so for the AIM systems. The AIM systems DO give you laptimes as you're driving!!! I haven't used mine yet for non-racing-related issues (haven't been out yet this year), but I've got all kindsa crazy Blinkenlights (shift lights and warnings), data display, lap times, etc., etc.
http://www.aim-sportline.com/

The basic MyChron3 starts at about $300 (RPM, 1 temp, lap time), I got the Gold Auto XG which lists for under $1k (no, of course I don't pay retail); it adds 4 analog channels, more memory, more functions, and lateral g's. I plan on adding more accelerometers on the additional channels. Furthermore, IMO the calibration/setup and data analysis software package is second to none. Way cool. No question in my mind, being able to not only see accurate lap times, but to analyse and compare the data afterward!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:30 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AIM data acquisition systems are a great bang for the buck. I ran the Mychron 3 Gold Auto and have now just received their new MXL Pro.
They are very easy to use and setup and give good info...

They do full track mapping...

I have used many different systems and this one is easy to use. It does not do a few things that the high end systems do, but it is a good value and gives me enough of what I need...

Plus, they look cool.

They cost more than a lap timer, but provide great info...
M3 Gold Auto approx $900, MXL Pro $1500...

No affiliation, just a happy customer...

Norm
Old 06-19-2004, 12:16 AM
FormulaOne10
Pro

I'll also back the Aim Sport DAS systems. I installed one in my car and it is terrific. Totally customizable, easy software to use and a great display that can show anything you hook a sensor up to. Laptimes are shown as you make them and can be accessed along with track maps and other analysis tools after the data has been stored. Great value. The only piece of reliable italian automotive equipment that I have seen!
Old 06-19-2004, 02:16 AM
Rene
Racer

I have a hotlap with a few issues but nothing major. Bad battery, eye, shifted, ect. I only bought the in car portion because someone always has a beacon at our events.

Rene
Old 06-19-2004, 08:52 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Another Aimsport fan. Waiting for my MXL Pro. If you are technical, you will love a DAS. If not, you probably won't use it.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:43 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just received my mxl pro and am about to install it...

Norm
Old 06-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I'm on the wait list for an MXL Pro and hope to get it in another week or so (promises, promises). Their literature says the MXL Pro works with Bosch ECUs but does anyone know if it will work with the Bosch ECU in a 2001 Cup car (non-CAN bus)?

Karl
Old 06-19-2004, 10:18 PM
prg
Pro

My formula car came with a Motec system installed. Its a terrifically powerful system but honestly I think its probably overkill for 95% of club racers. (Me included.). The cost/benefit ratio peaks at a lower price point IMHO.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:18 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Karl - I'll try and see if I can find out for ya. I think I still have some contacts over in Powertrain. My AIM sales rep was trying to sell me on that setup too, I had to keep reminding him that my car doesn't even have any computers, let alone a CAN network!

Norm - I'd love to check out some of your data from Mid-O sometime, if you're in the sharing mood. Are you going to be there for the GTS race in August?
Old 06-20-2004, 02:42 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vaughan - I will indeed be at the GTS race in August - MidOhio...

See you there...

Norm
Old 06-23-2004, 10:30 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Karl, you have email...

Quick Reply: Best lap timer or data collector?