Sponsored by:

HPDE - First classroom - expectations

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 01:19 PM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
starting out gently, adding speed slowly allows plenty of repetition in order to learn
I tell people that playing guitar and performance driving are similar (crazy, right?) in that they're both great examples of things you'll never do well FAST if you can't do them well SLOW. Imagine trying to play Jimmy Page's solo on Stairway fast before you can do it slow.

Yeah, physics change with speed. But it all begins with hitting the marks. And that begins with listening to your instructor.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 03:06 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Lots of good advice here and as others have said, just relax and have fun. Not pointed at you but any first timer: As long as you listen, your instructor will keep you safe and feed you information as you are ready for it. No one expects much of you as a first timer except that you show up on-time, listen in the meetings, participate if you have questions and put your ego in check. No one will judge you for being slow and cautions at first, they will judge you if you try to overdrive your abilities, don't listen to the instructor or think you know more then those presenting. It's fairly rare but I've seen all of the above.
The following 2 users liked this post by sbelles:
chartersb (01-18-2024), ProCoach (01-18-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 03:40 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Be ready for new experiences; in that respect the classroom ranks pretty low, as it is a familiar concept and setting from school, business meetings etc.

But driving your car on the race track is not familiar. On my first track day I was practically unable to shift the gears because taking my hands off the wheel seemed too much.
At least it was Watkins Glen and you could drive most of that track in one gear
By the end of the day I was able to shift once from 3rd to 4th and back per lap...

That's why the in-car instructor is so crucial, because they will normalize this abnormal situation for you, and talk in your ear; they will also remind you to breathe as necessary.

So, classroom is nothing to worry about and does not convey any special information that you can't read elsewhere.
In-car instructor: relax and just trust them with your life and your car, it will be great!

Then come back and report to the peanut gallery.

The following users liked this post:
lgusto (01-19-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 11:21 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Maybe focus on some of the basics:
Learn where to check in after arriving at track gate.
Figure out where to park in paddock to unload stuff from car
Learn where the bathroom is.
Learn the schedule of run groups and how the day is run
Learn where to stage on the grid.

Have your instructor help you with corner stations and flags while on track. There's so much going on your first time, you'll sleep like a baby after your first DE.
I also tell new folks to shake out your hands at the straights because everyone is always so tense with a death grip.

Old 01-26-2024, 11:37 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

All good suggestions above so nothing to add other than don’t be this guy:

Quick Reply: HPDE - First classroom - expectations