Sponsored by:

HPDE - First classroom - expectations

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 03:19 PM
JOG
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE - First classroom - expectations

Before anyone says "use the search function" - I did and there is no topics that address:
  • What to expect for your first Drivers education course with PCA
  • How to be prepared for the class
  • What to bring to the class
I have not done anything like this before, and as an introvert, I want to remove any anxiety of being outside my comfort zone.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by JOG
Before anyone says "use the search function" - I did and there is no topics that address:
  • What to expect for your first Drivers education course with PCA
  • How to be prepared for the class
  • What to bring to the class
I have not done anything like this before, and as an introvert, I want to remove any anxiety of being outside my comfort zone.
I think that's a very reasonable question. Take a deep breath, relax. Read everything included in the links/material sent to you and come in with no expectations.

You'll get all the information you need, in the order you need it and with an opportunity to ask questions. NEVER hesitate to ask questions.

The classroom is a great resource because it gives you the opportunity to think about important things without the distraction of conducting the car around the track and the direct instructions coming from the right seat.

You'll have a great time!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
saksride (01-27-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 04:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Best thing you can do is watch videos of people driving the track so that you learn the ebb and flow of the track. In addition it is good to learn the number of each corner or if they have a name, that way you can follow the instructor better.

Most of all, as Peter was saying above, don't over think it, relax, and ask questions.
saksride (01-27-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 04:44 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,003 Likes on 2,274 Posts

@JOG , I think you said the classroom training was PCA. Check out your region's website. You will see who the Chief Driving Instructor is, as well as the Chief Classroom instructor. Sometimes its the same person, many times it's different people. Reach out to them and ask them if they can send you the materials in advance or recommend where to go to do some prep work.

Believe me when I tell you this, they love a highly motivated student and they want you to keep coming back. No room for egos in the classroom or DE training. Just a bunch of new drivers that are nervous as he'll and want to learn the skills.

The classroom training will be low key and informative. All they are trying to do is get you acquainted with the concepts. Make sure you go to the autocross school as well before you do your first track event. It will give you an understanding of your brakes and tires.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:22 PM
JOG
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@GC996 Autocross school? I don't see that on my site chapter, I guess i could go direct to SCCA. I have reached out to the chapter members before with no response. I have been a member for almost 3 years and only been to one event. My PCA chapter doesn't update their site and not very active on Facebook (either am I honestly).

I will take a look and try to reach out again for any materials they can send ahead of time. So far all the feedback is great! I appreciate it very much.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:32 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Some of the regions are very good and others are not. Hope you have one that is a sleeper that comes alive.

Depending on how you signed up, most regions use clubregistration.net for event sign up. If so, sometimes they will attach documents inside the system for the event. It may be worthwhile to take a quick look.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:55 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Google "Road Course Techniques - PCA Chicago Region"

It's a great entry level summary of key concepts. It should help get you started.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:41 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

For the classroom I always carry a little notebook /pen and track map with me. making notes helps me remember key points. Always a bottle of water to keep up with hydration.
ProCoach (01-17-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 07:23 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 175 Posts

First step, relax and remember this is supposed to be fun. Every single person there was new to this hobby at one point.

Small notebook and pen for jotting down notes is useful.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Small notebook, a bottle of water and track maps to class is a great idea.

There’s enough variance in the way the information is presented between programs that in order to avoid confusion, I would recommend not spending a lot of time previewing information or going out of your way to study other information than what is sent to you or links on the site of the organizing chapter.

Have fun, sit back and enjoy!

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-17-2024 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:52 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Relax and enjoy the experience. By finding your way here (rennlist) and asking the honest question, you are farther ahead then most first timers already!

While it will be your first classroom, others in the room will have attended this classroom before, and soon so you will too. The "beginner" class room is typically targeted for drivers who have done up to 10+ weekends. There will most likely be a second or third classroom session on the same weekend for you and other drivers (green/D, yellow/C - or some other run group designator). Each follow on classroom session on a weekend will cover more advanced topics. So over a 20+ weekend journey, you will rinse and repeat to a point that you could possibly give part of the classroom content to a first timer yourself. The progression will be from safety / procedures on track - to performance driving techniques - to car dynamics. Rinse and repeat.

The PCA Niagra Region has published the following PDF that may be of interest and answer a lot of your questions. HPDE-1st-Timers-Guide.pdf

So you will get multiple reviews of the classroom material (over multiple weekends) and will most likely see different versions of the material in your journey (each PCA region can have their own flavor of the material, as will other HPDE programs). Also you will have (PCA) an in car instructor who you can ask further questions and clarification of, who will guide you thru on track implementation / execution of some of the topics covered in the classroom.

There is always something to learn and improve in HPDE, so always be open to more learning and coaching, even when achieving "solo" status.

Welcome to you next hobby!
The following 3 users liked this post by Kein_Ersatz:
993944S2 (01-17-2024), MetroNYHPDE (02-04-2024), ProCoach (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Best thing you can do is watch videos of people driving the track so that you learn the ebb and flow of the track. In addition it is good to learn the number of each corner or if they have a name, that way you can follow the instructor better.

Most of all, as Peter was saying above, don't over think it, relax, and ask questions.
2nd this. Many far more experienced folks than I are giving you great info but do not under-estimate the value of learning the track...WELL. There are so many things going on (like learning to swing a golf club) that you want to eliminate thinking about as much as you can. If you know how the track flows and even what turn number you are on, it will allow you to listen to what the instructor is telling you to do (track out, turn in, brake, gas, point by, etc). I would spend hours watching videos and learning a track when I first started HPDE. The one time I did not prepare like this, it was much harder to take in info from the right seat because I wasn't sure what was next on track/info overload.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:51 AM
lgusto
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

My response is narrowly focused on the OP's question about "first class" rather than first day. Just absorb whatever basics you can glean from the class and avoid trying to learn everything at once. It's too much and will lead to more anxiety. For example, trying to learn the nuances of every flag and every action you need to take when you see one and where the flag stations are located is critical....but not in the first class. Your instructor will know all that and guide you accordingly if a flag appears.

After class, open your mind and listen to your instructor. FWIW, I spent dozens of hours preparing for my first class and event with books, videos, Rennlist, etc.. I would have been much better off starting with a clean slate and paying 100% attention to my instructor.
ProCoach (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 11:39 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

One more addition - ask the question that you are afraid to ask because you are worried it is stupid. Chances are many other people have the same question but don't want to show their naivete by asking. Who TF cares what other people think? Ask the question.

The corollary of this is listen to other people's questions and the instructor's answers as you can learn something.

ProCoach (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 12:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lgusto
My response is narrowly focused on the OP's question.

After class, open your mind and listen to your instructor. FWIW, I spent dozens of hours preparing for my first class and event with books, videos, Rennlist, etc..

I would have been much better off starting with a clean slate and paying 100% attention to my instructor.
^^THIS^^

Since drivers can spend their whole lives learning the basics, not to mention the nuances, of a specific track (ask me how I know), that is really well down the order of priorities for a FIRST event, ever.

The lovely benefit of a good instructor in the right seat (and the Niagara program practically guarantees that) is that starting out gently, adding speed slowly allows plenty of repetition in order to learn the order and severity of the corners, as well as the more important factors in staying safe.

Ross Bentley and I have sold more than six thousand Speed Secrets Virtual Track Walks, so there is clear benefit to a vetted, professionally presented and validated study of the track, before and during an event but AFTER you have the basics in place.

Ross and I are in the process of recording and assembling handouts for the new, updated V2 VTW, the most up to date versions of fifteen existing, plus twenty or twenty-five more tracks currently. Tighter, targeted and more information expressly presented is the main focus for these.

Thanks to all the RLers who have supported our Virtual Track Walks, available at the Speed Secrets website. www.speedsecrets.com

OP, relax your shoulders and hands, take a deep breath, stay safe and have fun!

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-18-2024 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: HPDE - First classroom - expectations