Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rub Out? What is your definition for PCA Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 05:05 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Sonoma is a "low margin" track as well. But we don't seem to see the carnage there that is seen at Watkins Glen. Maybe because we don't have a lot of PCA Cup Car racers out here on the west coast...
Old 04-09-2023, 05:26 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Sonoma is a "low margin" track as well. But we don't seem to see the carnage there that is seen at Watkins Glen. Maybe because we don't have a lot of PCA Cup Car racers out here on the west coast...
Doubt it.

From what I understand, median track driving level goes down a tenth for every state west of the Mississippi until you get to California, so depending on which route you take from Louisiana to Cali, you guys are only driving 5 or 6 tenths. That would explain the lack of carnage at Sonoma…..
The following users liked this post:
M13S (04-10-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 05:32 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

^ is that why there are no race tracks in the pacific northwest? 10 states away from mass. = screw the track, just build a damn parking lot because no one can drive?
Old 04-09-2023, 05:51 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Doubt it.

From what I understand, median track driving level goes down a tenth for every state west of the Mississippi until you get to California, so depending on which route you take from Louisiana to Cali, you guys are only driving 5 or 6 tenths. That would explain the lack of carnage at Sonoma…..
That's okay....from what I understand, every state your cross east of New Mexico increases the delusions of grandeur experienced by DE drivers by 20%!

Please come out here, drive Sonoma, and show us how a DE driver from the east will go faster than all the racers out here at Sonoma his first time out....
Old 04-09-2023, 05:53 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
^ is that why there are no race tracks in the pacific northwest? 10 states away from mass. = screw the track, just build a damn parking lot because no one can drive?
Unless the Mississippi runs through Waltham, then no.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:56 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

That's okay....from what I understand, every state your cross east of New Mexico increases the delusions of grandeur experienced by DE drivers by 20%!

Please come out here, drive Sonoma, and show us how a DE driver from the east will go faster than all the racers out here at Sonoma his first time out....
Sonoma is on the list, as is Laguna and a few others out there.
I will gladly school you when I finally get there.

You wanna return the favor and have me kick your a$$ at VIR and The Glen as well? Happy to do it if you make it to any right coast tracks…
Old 04-09-2023, 07:57 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Doubt it.

Are you guys compounding with each state calculation?

I'm trying to do the math and figure out how slow the west coast drivers are and what my delusion of grandeur percentage is. I know it is pretty high, but I need to plug the right info into my spreadsheet.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

I'm trying to do the math and figure out how slow the west coast drivers are and what my delusion of grandeur percentage is. I know it is pretty high, but I need to plug the right info into my spreadsheet.
You're the lawyer. You go back to arguing the rules and rubbing things out. I'm the data guy. In the 4,000 customers I've had on both sides of the Mississippi (this is where you argue the Continental Divide is a better measure), 100% have utilized made up statistics to do things better or worse, depending on the East/West stratification of their lateral and longitudinal movement in relation to the predefined curb and/or edges of the track with regards to their momentarily and instantly measured roll out from start finish. I have only found one driver who has never made a mistake, at either Sonoma or Watkins Glen. I'm not calling out anyone, but his name does have an M and an S in it.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:31 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I’ve been on the track with you and you are a great driver, although it was the SPC at the time. No idea how well you drive the Cup Car, but I assume you’re not slouching.

As for your question concerning my post, do it the easy way. Start in Nawlins (hence the Mississippi River reference), at 10/10ths, and when you hit Texas, drop a 10th, when you hit New Mexico, drop another 10th, same for Arizona and Nevada. When you finally get to Sonoma, if you don’t go a bit north and hit Nevada, you’ll be a 5/10th pace driver, like winders. To keep it HPDE related, he’s probably driving at the CVR Yellow or Blue run group pace.

Winders probably drives at 4 or 5/10ths of what you drive at, and maybe 6/10ths of what I drive at.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:13 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

I thought "rubbing out" was a mob thing
Old 04-09-2023, 10:59 PM
winders
Race Car

My math has you driving at just under 6/10ths after 5 states based on what was said....5.3/10ths after 6 states...
Old 04-10-2023, 09:03 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

My math has you driving at just under 6/10ths after 5 states based on what was said....5.3/10ths after 6 states...
Geesh…..

At the very least, hopefully your driving is better than your math (and your sense of direction—Just so you know, if you are going from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean, you are going west).

You’re welcome.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:34 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

I see this thread has taken a predictable turn from bumping and grinding to dick measuring.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdistefa:
dgrobs (04-10-2023), ProCoach (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 09:40 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I see this thread has taken a predictable turn from bumping and grinding to dick measuring.
It did start out talking about rub outs.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:27 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Hey I’ve got a picture,…

Quick Reply: Rub Out? What is your definition for PCA Racing?