Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rub Out? What is your definition for PCA Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 01:05 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I wonder what the hierarchy of clubs is in regards to gentlemen racing? Where is there least contact and where is there most?
Types of racing is more an indication of gentlemen racing than the club IMO.

Vintage racing is generally mint cars old cars that no one gets to close to each other with. I can't recall there being contact in vintage in over a decade with my local club.

Endurance racing is pretty safe too. I've seen enduro class wins decided by a car length (once) but generally no one is winning an endurance race with a single pass or on the same lap so people generally don't fight for position. There are aggressive people like myself in endurance racing taking advantage of people driving to survive, but contacts are almost non existent. I know I'm guilty of bullying people early with scary for endurance racing passes so I train them to jump out of my way on the straights for no time loss to myself rather than making me pass them in the corners for a time loss. Most enduros have zero contact over the entire race that I've seen.

Open wheel sprint racing is fairly safe too but that depends where you run and how close the cars are in lap times. I know some areas have large fields and tight racing. My local open wheel racing really only has single vehicle accidents for open wheel. They're pretty safe too.

Closed wheel sprint racing would be next. 20-45 minute races = you'll see people trying to win the race on the race start in corner 1. If you eliminate the spec classes I'd say there is 1 contact every weekend at least as bad as what bob saw, but it would be very rare to see a lot of incidents like that. Maybe once every 3+ years there is a big wreck that collects and destroys 2-3 cars.

Spec class sprint racing is a disaster. I'd love to do that but I swear spec miata is for people who like to build a new race car every 3-5 years. It seems the rule in spec miata is when you run out of talent just drive like you're playing Gran Turismo.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
fatbillybob (04-02-2023), Nickshu (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 05:53 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I am confused about what is now considered a "Rub Out" in PCA Racing.
IMO, a Rub Out is when you can literally clean/rub the tire marks, dirt, etc. off the car and there is little to no indication that any sort of contact occurred. OK, slight paint and/or wrap damage would fall under that definition too.

But how about 2 damaged wheels, damaged rocker panel, damaged door that doesn't stay closed and a bent (albeit minor) front fender? That's what happened to me Sprint 1 at VIR after a 944 tried an ill advised pass on the OUTSIDE of T11 (the turn just before Oak Tree). Lap 3. Ending my race.
And there's no reason to make that pass since SPC is substantially faster than SP3 on the straight that is 200 feet away, so I would just pass him back.
And something is not right with the suspension. Car did not feel good in Sprint 2. I managed to finish but was slow.

I thought I had seen somewhere, and I know there was a recent discussion about PCA being a little more stringent on incidents because there was a feeling that incidents were on the rise. This doesn't sound stringent.

Am I just not understanding what a Rub Out is?
Funny. In one of the most egregiously ridiculously idiotic decisions in the history of racing by any organization I got a 13 (definitely unequivocally overtly political) when someone tried to pass me on the outside of 11, bounced off me and into the wall. Overturned on appeal

944, who is actually a very nice guy and generally not known to be reckless, is at fault here. People make mistakes. You have to understand that corner and the line coming out of 10. The Cayman is not "drifting" over. The line crosses from track right to track left from 10 to 11. The Cayman is driving the racing line. At the same time the track is fading to the right. What the 44 is seeing is a narrowing wedge as the asphalt goes right and the car in front of him "goes left." Based on where the contact happened on track and on car to car the 44 was behind and had opportunity to not press the pass. He went for a hole that was closing and 100% should have backed out.

Now don't make me bring up PCA's lack of an "overlap" definition . . .

Last edited by Streak; 04-02-2023 at 06:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Streak:
ProCoach (04-03-2023), T&T Racing (04-02-2023), Zhao (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 04:04 PM
M13S
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Avoid NASA. PCA and HSR and SVRA are my favorites (in that order) as any contact is usually sanctioned. It also really depends on the field size as PCA can at times have 60+ cars on track in a single session. HSR is professionally run but has a bias towards their legacy customers over newcomers when things go wrong. In about 150 races, about 125 of those with PCA, I have only been hit twice and neither of them was avoidable from my perspective. I have seen some spectacular single car crashes in HSR, but they certainly happen in other series too.

For comparison, here is a thread with video that someone posted from International GT at Road Atlanta recently. Look at 3:05 and 4:00 and allegedly the contact at 4:00 was considered a "racing incident".

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=13146

IGT is a good 8 lap smash fest if that's what your into, I'll never drive with them again. At WGI last year we got 4 clean laps in 2 races. Plenty of yellows, a red and it was such a ****ty experience I didn't do the enduro the following Sunday. Packed it up and went home after making it that far with the car being undamaged.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by M13S
IGT is a good 8 lap smash fest if that's what your into, I'll never drive with them again. At WGI last year we got 4 clean laps in 2 races. Plenty of yellows, a red and it was such a ****ty experience I didn't do the enduro the following Sunday. Packed it up and went home after making it that far with the car being undamaged.
Unusual. Ken runs a pretty good program, or at least it has been.

3:05 in Frank’s Road Atlanta video is just karma coming home to roost on the white car and 4:00 is all on Mike. Not sure how the black car was supposed to see him coming through from behind the first car he passed.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:29 PM
M13S
Instructor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Unusual. Ken runs a pretty good program, or at least it has been.

3:05 in Frank’s Road Atlanta video is just karma coming home to roost on the white car and 4:00 is all on Mike. Not sure how the black car was supposed to see him coming through from behind the first car he passed.
Ken is a great guy, no issues with him. I don't want to be in a race with what I witnessed at WGI, it was so bad (to me and my teamates) we went to the drivers rep and then to Ken. It was decided after the second race (red flagged) to not continue with the weekend and not to race in that series .

YMMV.

I'm not knocking Ken or the series just I chose to manage risk with who I race with and for me, that type of racing is not for me.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M13S
Ken is a great guy, no issues with him. I don't want to be in a race with what I witnessed at WGI, it was so bad (to me and my teamates) we went to the drivers rep and then to Ken. It was decided after the second race (red flagged) to not continue with the weekend and not to race in that series .

YMMV.

I'm not knocking Ken or the series just I chose to manage risk with who I race with and for me, that type of racing is not for me.
I understand completely about managing risk. In the ten years I've been going to IGT and it's predecessor series, I haven't seen that as a normal occurrence.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-04-2023, 04:13 PM
M13S
Instructor

Maybe it was a a one off or just a bad day.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:15 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I think it was more the track. Many PCA Cup Car class races there were just like that.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have seen a LOT of carnage at The Glen in the PCA Club races there between 2011 and 2018, when I was there every year.

Seen a lot of damage at SVRA and IMSA events at The Glen, too.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I am confused about what is now considered a "Rub Out" in PCA Racing.
IMO, a Rub Out is when you can literally clean/rub the tire marks, dirt, etc. off the car and there is little to no indication that any sort of contact occurred. OK, slight paint and/or wrap damage would fall under that definition too.
Am I just not understanding what a Rub Out is?
No dents in the roof, good to go.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gary R.:
LuigiVampa (04-05-2023), NaroEscape (04-09-2023), Zhao (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 10:24 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I think it was more the track. Many PCA Cup Car class races there were just like that.
I have found that some days the track is just hungry and needs to eat.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
9114609048 (04-07-2023), jdistefa (04-05-2023), Zhao (04-05-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 04:59 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Took a nice bite off my 996 cup
Thanks, Michelin!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by analogmike:
9114609048 (04-07-2023), LuigiVampa (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
'77 Sebring had a big appetite.
Early in the 12hr, our right rear Goodyear exploded, then we lost our left rear. Three more after that, but there was no more body work to damage. We tried to make repairs but gave up.
After the finish two teams protested our open wheel RSR, but the officials let the result stand.

The following 3 users liked this post by 9114609048:
LuigiVampa (04-07-2023), R717 (04-08-2023), stownsen914 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 04:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I have seen a LOT of carnage at The Glen in the PCA Club races there between 2011 and 2018, when I was there every year.

Seen a lot of damage at SVRA and IMSA events at The Glen, too.
Truth be told, as you know as well as anyone out there, Watkins has a huge appetite for cars. They must taste really yummy because that track keeps on eating them. Ate one of mine a few years back. Just a very “low margin” track. Probably one of the reasons it’s at the top of everyone’s favorite list.
Deadly but fun. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, about rubbing one out……
Old 04-09-2023, 04:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Just a very “low margin” track. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, about rubbing one out……
Agree 100%!

Quick Reply: Rub Out? What is your definition for PCA Racing?