Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolex 24 Hours Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022 | 08:46 AM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Porsche email offer was $1200.00 PP. Had to buy 2 to get a parking pass.
Old 11-24-2022 | 08:49 AM
amurph182
Racer

used to go every year and camp in the infield. Great experience. Book a hotel room ASAP and try to stay as close as you can so that you can go back and forth easily...running back to the room to take a quick nap before spending all night watching the race needs to be convenient or else the nap will turn into "screw it, I'll just go back in the morning.". Some of my favorite moments at the race were roaming around in the early AM hours when almost everyone else was asleep (or passed out) and just taking it all in. The garage access is fantastic and watching a team frantically repairing a car at 3AM to get it back in the race us super cool. Make sure you're there for the fireworks at like 10pm or so.
The following 4 users liked this post by amurph182:
Jickel180 (11-24-2022), Kaybat (12-14-2022), Mike Roblin (11-27-2022), Riptide (12-14-2022)
Old 11-24-2022 | 08:54 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Got the $1200 email offer as well. Cool but would be wasted $ for me since I can't stop moving around the place and geeking on all of the vantage points. Can't beat gen admission for my purposes.

Grandstands are always open with vendors active. Watched every moment of the Porsche GTD battle finale unfold from the top row of the place this year.

Be sure to visit vmax to T1 brake zone at night, close as you can get to the track.

Unless camping, infield parking is much more hassle than benefit in my experience. Can take hrs to get in if arriving at the wrong time. Far easier to just pay cash into one of the stadium lots day of and catch the shuttles (or walk) to infield.

if you strike out on hotels nearby, New Smyrna is a 20 min highway drive away and has vrbo's etc.

'23 looks like the start of a new golden era for sportscar racing. Field is ridiculously good. Cannot wait.

If you've never been, IMSA racing can't be beat as far as in person experience, imo. And the 24 is 100% worth the trip. Since you'll be driving Sebring, put the 12 hr on your bucket list as well.
Old 11-24-2022 | 09:05 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Anyone who can should do it, we love visitors money here in Florida, as a full time Sebring resident we say thank you for the business and welcome.
Rich
The following users liked this post:
Veloce Raptor (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022 | 10:48 AM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Gotta go!!
24hrs Daytona amazing in person
Old 11-24-2022 | 11:54 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

I will be parking in the PCA corral again this year. The cool thing about having a special parking pass, such as the corral or the VIP is that you can come and go as you please. I find it the most convenient thing for a 24 hr race. My usual habbit is to show up early on Saturday morning, do all the pre-race stuff such as walking around in the paddock, then watch most of the race during the day and just past sunset. Then, I will to drive dinner somewhere (just drive out no lines or hassles)- the Chart House usually, then drop off the wife and come back to the track (again just drive back in to your spot, no lines or hassles) and see how long I can last into the night - it is usually very cold. I will get up super early and come to the track Sunday morning to see the sunrise, where the cars and the drivers are all bruised and battered- something like a scene from Saving Private Ryan. As the sun rises the teams catch a second wind and you visably see things getting more serious. Again, since its easy in and out, I will drive back to the hotel, have breakfeast, pick up the wife, and just drive back to the track and catch the last 3 hours of the race.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 11-24-2022 at 11:56 AM.
zmon (01-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2022 | 12:11 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

It would be very helpful if I could leave my trailer and track car after 5 days at Sebring somewhere near Daytona Sunday night and fly home Monday morning, be at work Tuesday and Wednesday and fly back to Daytona Thursday with the wife for the race.

Old 11-24-2022 | 12:15 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Hotels in Daytona are either sold out or crazy expensive.

Take my advise and book a room here, now: River Lilly Bed and Breakfast still has a number of rooms available and Mary, the proprietor does not jack up the prices for the event. I've stayed here for 8 years and works well - particularly like the safe and ample parking.
Old 11-24-2022 | 12:27 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt. I need a place to leave my trailer and track car somewhere between Orlando and Daytona. Looks like much more flight options into and out of Orlando over DAB.

Ideally, if I was able to leave my trailer somewhere really close to Daytona, even north of Daytona, that would settle out a lot of the logistical issues.

I don’t want to drive Sebring for 5 days, tow home and get home Tuesday, then fly back into Daytona or Orlando Thursday.

A place to leave my trailer near Daytona from Sunday 1/22 to the following Monday 1/30 (8 days) would be ideal.

Gotta figure this out.
Old 11-24-2022 | 12:43 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Leave wife in vrbo w/ driveway to enjoy the sunshine while you jet back & forth. Last couple places we rented would have fit a trailer in driveway no problem.
Old 11-24-2022 | 01:18 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
Leave wife in vrbo w/ driveway to enjoy the sunshine while you jet back & forth. Last couple places we rented would have fit a trailer in driveway no problem.
Wife isn’t the issue. We’re checking in somewhere in Daytona Thursday after Sebring. I need a place from Sunday to Thursday for the trailer.

Just dropped a buddy who lives in Orlando a note to see if he’s got room.
Old 11-24-2022 | 02:18 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

nvm enjoy the race.

Last edited by ParadiseGT3; 11-24-2022 at 02:20 PM.
dgrobs (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022 | 03:08 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Thanks Matt. I need a place to leave my trailer and track car somewhere between Orlando and Daytona. Looks like much more flight options into and out of Orlando over DAB.

Ideally, if I was able to leave my trailer somewhere really close to Daytona, even north of Daytona, that would settle out a lot of the logistical issues.

I don’t want to drive Sebring for 5 days, tow home and get home Tuesday, then fly back into Daytona or Orlando Thursday.

A place to leave my trailer near Daytona from Sunday 1/22 to the following Monday 1/30 (8 days) would be ideal.

Gotta figure this out.
If you only knew someone who now lives in Orlando and access to land. I can help you with the trailer, sending text.
Old 11-24-2022 | 03:17 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
If you only knew someone who now lives in Orlando and access to land. I can help you with the trailer, sending text.
Done. Appreciate the help.
Old 11-24-2022 | 07:08 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Definitely worth going to! The access to the historics on display in the fan zone, and at vendor booths, the MPSC race, the Porsches, garage access, the whiskey, and oh yeah, the whole 24 hour race makes this the best race to attend in the states IMO.

I've been going every year with a small group since 2015. Now it's our favorite event all year that we look forward to (so the rest of the year is pretty much downhill lol). We've been RV camping outside turn 4 for most of the years but finally secured an RV spot in the infield for years to come. I'm thinking 2023 will be the year I finally will drive the GT3 from Austin and park in the Porsche Corral. I would say the VIP tickets from Porsche would be worth it for a first-timer so you always have a home base, but GA is just fine for reasons mentioned in this thread already.

Quick Reply: Rolex 24 Hours Daytona