Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Lexan on Street car

Hello,

I guess many of you have experience with Lexan windows on race cars.. Could someone please let me know whether a Lexan rear windscreen mounted as stock (not flush mount) would be noisy and not recommended for daily use?

How bad is it?

Thank you.
Jean
Old 05-06-2004, 11:56 AM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the noise. It's more likely to leak, even with the stock seal... Of course, in your part of the world, torrential rain may not be a problem

Lee in D.C.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexan can discolor and scratch easily.

Honestly in the desert I'd be the sand would scratch it quite quickly.

Race cars use it, but they have to be replaced quite often. Biggest reason racer like it is weight and less damage from flying rocks. Rocks are often picked by race tires at the track here in the southwest and those can destroy glass quickly. Lexan will just pit with that same rock. Eventually you will need to replace the lexan, but probably not every event as might happen from flying rocks.

I don't think it worth the hassle on a street car. In fact some folks don't thing they are worth the hassle on race cars too.

Oh... you are talking about rear window. In that case all the same apply, yet to a lesser extent. Still probably not worth the weight savings, but instead of yearly replacements for the front maybe you can get by with 3+ years depending on how carefull you are.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by M758
I don't think it worth the hassle on a street car. In fact some folks don't thing they are worth the hassle on race cars too.
Yep. I know of some who have gone back to glass.

Pros can afford to replace them quite often. It's a small part of their budget.

Of course, this is pretty easy for me to say because I cannot use Lexan, but I doubt I would anyway.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the quick replies guys..and I thought this side of Rennlist was "slower"

Yes it never rains but hopefully I will not stay here much longer, with the sand and dust in this part of the world I wash my car every 2 days (ok I am a bit maniac) so I would not want water dripping inside.

The reason I want to change it is because my current one is broken, and since I am on a lightweight drive on my GT2 project, I removed the sunroof and mechanism, changing the roof skin and removing the rear wiper and mechanism, so why not a lexan.

I would not mind changing it every three years or so, it costs around $250, the weight savings are not major, but in the right place, the street GT3RS has one. The scratch and discolor part is what worries me more however.

I'll need to think more about it.
Thank you all for your input.
Jean
Old 05-06-2004, 02:18 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jean,

I don't know what your set up is but I have thought about the side windows with the NACA air intakes ducted to the engine.

You could probably count on additional noise with this set-up .
Old 05-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Keith,

I was going to! But other than the roll cage, front EVO bumper, flares, 335s in the rear, GT2 wing etc.. I want to keep it stock.

Old 05-06-2004, 08:03 PM
hatchback
Advanced

You have to be very careful with lexan because over time it will develop micro-cracks that are very difficult to see (from flying debris, washing) and then it can fail in a catastrophic manner under impact. Lexan is lighter than glass, and much more resistant to sudden impacts when new. Many high-speed locomotives use lexan on the front window for safety. But it requires a lot more maintanance than glass, and it can be hard to mount with because it not as stiff as glass. Hard to recommend lexan for a street car.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

This side slow? I don't think so. every time you look out the window of a jet liner you are looking at lexan I believe. To clean lexan and avoid scratches and discoloration, wipe with a clean damp chamois. Let it dry (easy for you I bet) and then wax it! Best is meguiars polish for lexan, yacht supply places have it. Easier to get and pretty effective is Johnsons Pledge. I use the lemon scented one Works wonders on plastic back windows in convertibles too. Never clean with widow cleaners, they contain products which dissolve and discolor lexan and acrylics.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:34 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Gentlemen.

It seems not a wise thing to do on a street car. Problem is I am a contrarian and think I will give it a shot, compared to the amounts I am spending on my project it is worth a shot.. The major problem here would be the effect of the sun on the Lexan maybe, ants walking on the front hood of the car fry in a second at 10 AM in summer.

Hey Bob we must have, what, 100 degrees Celsius difference between us? Merci for the tips on maintenance, very helpful.

I will let you know how it goes, in about 2 months.

Thanks again.
Jean
Old 05-07-2004, 09:09 AM
J.G. Rausa
Advanced

I have been using a Lexan rear window the last couple years on the street with no noise or leaks (the pic shows antique tags). Granted this car only sees rain if I get stuck in bad weather, but even then I haven't had any leaks. At 130 mph I do not have noise, but I keep my side vents open to let cabin air out. There is double sided tape underneath the aluminum straps to minimize vibration. Removing weight that is "high" and in the "rear" is good, although I don't think it makes me any faster. I must admit I enjoy the looks and the statement the car makes on the street. BTW, the pic shows me on the line at the Hershey Vintage Hillclimb, I finshed 15th out of 60 cars. The car is a non sunroof '70 with later model body work.
Regards,
Joe Rausa
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Lexan on Street car