Rennbay / Geometry Correction Ball Joint Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Rennbay / Geometry Correction Ball Joint Kits

Geometry Correction Kits are now in stock and ready for sale.
The kits are made for lowered 944 cars with aluminum control arms (1985.5+). They are designed for cars lowered 1" - 2" from the stock ride highth. They fix balljoint binding problem on lowered cars, rebuild both ball joints and allow for easy external servicing via an easy to access zerk fitting. Yes... all that in one kit that you can install in an afternoon.

For information on what the new kits due to combat the ball joint binding issue on lowered cars click HERE

For our Geometry Correction Kit FAQ click HERE

To buy a Geometry Correction Kit just click HERE

If anyone has any questions regarding the kits I will be around for most of the night. Just ask them here and I will reply, or send an email to travis@rennbay.com

For those of you who have recently purchased a Deluxe Double ball joint kit from Rennbay and would like to order just the parts necessary to upgrade your kit to the geometry correction kit please email me at the address above. We have a special discount purchase page just for you where you can order just the parts you need and reuse the ones you already have.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:17 AM
84-944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.......would this product be legal in a stock class as far as PCA stewards would be concerned?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't see why not but you will have to check with the PCA region you are racing in.
You are using the same a arms, same ball and ball joint internals only moving the connection point of the pin up a little bit for safety reasons.
Again, it is only for lowered cars and is not something to be used on a stock ride highth 944. At stock ride highth your arms are parallel to the car. The kit fixes what happens at a lowered ride highth when the arms slant upwards and cause binding of the ball joint.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:53 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

44racer...
Probably the best thing to do is present the kit to PCA Cheif technical steward and see what happens. I honestly can see them saying yes or no to them depending on how they want to interpret the exsting rules and intent.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

If they want technical data on the new ball pins and how they compare to the original porsche pins I can provide that. The stress points are the same as the ones on the OEM short ball pins. When tested head to head ours hold up under the same pressures where the oem ones will start to bend.
I know some SCCA classes will not let you use aftermarket arms. If I interpreted the rules correctly, they conceder the ball joint and arm two separate parts on the car. If this is true, which someone will have to verify for me, the arms would stay the same and only the ball joint would change.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:23 PM
M758
Race Director

The issue maybe that the relationship between the arms and the spindles changes. Sure this what you WANT of the kit, but most stock classes don't like anythng that changes suspension geometry. Remember PCA does not allow camberplates on 944's because they change the suspesnion geometry slightly. If you run them them must be "pinned" so they keep the stock relation between the strut and the body.

One could argue this point and thus say they are not legal since they change suspension geometry. Are bumpsteer correction kits legal in PCA? I don't know.

So bottomline is that I can see scruit considering them illegal. I can also see a bunch of guys using them and the PCA turning around and making them illeagal after a year or two.

So I think the best plan is to present this to PCA for acceptance under the saftey banner similar to the "special allowance" that makes charly and fabcar arms legal. Make good strong case and I think It can happen. Try to slip under the radar and it may be ok for while, but come back to bite you.

BTW... I run steel arms so these parts/issue has not impact on my car nor do I run in a PCA stock class.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I guess it could go the other way also. By lowering the car it is changing the suspension geometry (relationship between the A arm and spindle) and this kit brings it back to its stock settings. They may even start requiring it on lowered cars.

I have to look into it more but those are some good points.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:49 PM
84-944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick up points must remain the same.

I use steel arms regardless, just curious.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To 84-944 and M758

An interesting point. A arms are one of my favorite subjects. I just got back from Rennsport, I talked to several late 944 users, and most that I talked to used FabCar or like arms. (This was in no way a scientific survey) But, I did not talk to many SCCA drivers, most I saw were PCA guys. PCA can use the FabCar arms, SCCA can't. As you may know, I am not a fan of the Alum arms, and on my current car I use reinforced steel arms. (Yes, I know, you can't use them on a late car.) One car had an a-arm failure, and it was not Alum, it was reinforced steel, on an early car. It broke by the pivot point. That's scarry to me. I thought I was safer with the reinforced steel, guess not.

About the legality. I doubt it would ever come up. PCA doesn't really look for illegalities, unless there is a question,and sometimes not even then. I remember a guy that had his AC compressor removed on a late car, and I even mentioned it to the tech guy at a race, and nothing was done.

Also, PCA is pretty good about safety issues.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 04-30-2004, 06:46 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally posted by Bill L Seifert
One car had an a-arm failure, and it was not Alum, it was reinforced steel, on an early car. It broke by the pivot point. That's scarry to me. I thought I was safer with the reinforced steel, guess not.
Bill not completly surprised. Yep the steel arms can crack at cross memeber bushing location. I noticed this on both my original steel arms on my race car.

Nice thing is that I could inspect for the cracks and easily replace them. Since they are about $25 each I can carry a spare set in the truck and repace them in 1 hour (with drilling th hole for weltmeiseter sway bar) and be good to go. Plus my ball joints are $11 each.

At those prices I can afford to replace then quite often and consider them a consumable.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by M758
Plus my ball joints are $11 each.

At those prices I can afford to replace then quite often and consider them a consumable.

I got you beat on the ball joint thing though. We have a race replacement program ($35 one time fee) and you get 2 sets of bushings. Every time you want to replace the bushings you can for $15 each time. You just put in your extra set, send back you old set with a check for $15 and I send you new ones for both sides.

You can also do them on the car to save time and suspension settings.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M758

Very true. My new car, though, is a 1987 944S, so I will have to use the alum arms. So, Mr. Travis, I will be contacting you about your ball joints for the late arms when I get to that point of construction.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Travis - sflraver
I know some SCCA classes will not let you use aftermarket arms. If I interpreted the rules correctly, they conceder the ball joint and arm two separate parts on the car. If this is true, which someone will have to verify for me, the arms would stay the same and only the ball joint would change.
As far as the SCCA goes, these may be legal in the Production classes, but I don't honestly know since I don't really read those rules.

I can say for certain they would not be legal for Improved Touring. There is no allowance for alternate balljoints (as well as most other parts). The is a rule proposal waiting to be voted on by the BoD that would allow aftermarket replacement parts that are exact replacements, but these balljoints would not meet that criteria either.

Nice stuff. Wish it were legal for IT.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

As far as ball joint kits alone go, they would be considered exact replacements. All the bushings are made from the same stuff as the stock ones and look almost identical when put side by side. Down to the cross style grease groove in the lower cups.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Travis - sflraver
As far as ball joint kits alone go, they would be considered exact replacements. All the bushings are made from the same stuff as the stock ones and look almost identical when put side by side. Down to the cross style grease groove in the lower cups.
But the extra length would make them illegal as they are not exact replacement.

Quick Reply: Rennbay / Geometry Correction Ball Joint Kits