Sponsored by:

987.2 S Mostly Track Car: Ohlins R&T vs KWv3

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 07:08 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 156 Posts
Default 987.2 S Mostly Track Car: Ohlins R&T vs KWv3

Getting ready to pull the trigger on new suspension for my 2010 Cayman S and found a few threads asking a similar question, but they are all quite old so I figured I'd seek any new opinions.

For some background, I drive the car 1-2x per week just to keep the fluids moving and battery happy, drive it 2.5 hours each way to the track (Sebring) and do probably 15-20 track days a year. Both my wife and I drive the car on the track, so it gets 4-5 hours of track time per day. I'm a fairly skilled driver, have had pro coaching, etc, but in recent years have dialed back from driving 10/10ths and focused on every 1/2 second to drive 9/10ths and just have fun (so from mid/high 2:2X at Sebring to low 2:3X for those that the reference makes sense). My wife just recently went solo, so she's in the high 2:4X and getting faster all the time.

Plan on doing sway bars, end links, LCAs, etc. while the car is in pieces already. I'm leaning towards KW mostly for the linear springs as I had those on my last track car and preferred that feel, but just looking for any real-world feedback from HPDE junkies that have experience with either/both?
Old 01-06-2022, 07:38 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 426 Posts

I have the same car and went with the Ohlins and have been extremely pleased. Ohlins have linear springs. You might have seen my car it is Black #61 and I run NASA TT3 and Chin red group.

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 01-06-2022 at 07:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 85Gold:
PTSFX (01-06-2022), steved0x (01-10-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 11:03 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 239 Posts

Spec cayman is moving to a new shock this year. Keep your eye's peeled and there should be some good deals on used JRZ RS coming up. They are great shocks, and perfect for your use case.

Last edited by jscott82; 01-06-2022 at 11:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PTSFX (01-06-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 08:25 AM
drsrock
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Spec cayman is moving to a new shock this year. Keep your eye's peeled and there should be some good deals on used JRZ RS coming up. They are great shocks, and perfect for your use case.
Which shock are they changing too?
Old 01-07-2022, 09:38 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 77 Posts

It’s still a single adjustable JRZ shock. They are switching from a double-tube design to a single tube design and strengthening the housing and bolts. The single-tube design is slightly better suited for track, over street since it operates better in a narrow travel range, which you will get with the track springs. The compression is fixed, already dialed in for the 987. Compression tends to be something teams figure out for the car and then set anyway, adjusting rebound for different environments. you can still buy the older shocks I believe, and the new versions won’t be available to non-racers for a little bit.

I know you have a .2 but the Spec Cayman package (shocks, springs, bars, arms, links) is really well set up! The SPC cars hold their own in club racing 😀. It might be a bit too rough for street driving (dial back that rebound), but with the amount of track events you both attend, it’s nice to get a whole setup that just works, rather than getting different parts and having to figure out how to adjust them all. Tarett sells these.

not affiliated, just have a spec cayman.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:52 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the feedback. My current suspension is shot and my next event is in a few weeks, so decided to pull the trigger on Ohlins. It seemed like a toss up and the Ohlins were available and a few hundred bucks less. See you in Sebring @85Gold !
The following 2 users liked this post by PTSFX:
85Gold (01-07-2022), steved0x (01-08-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 02:18 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PUNKT2
Appreciate the feedback. My current suspension is shot and my next event is in a few weeks, so decided to pull the trigger on Ohlins. It seemed like a toss up and the Ohlins were available and a few hundred bucks less. See you in Sebring @85Gold !
Hopefully BGB will be done with a couple of things by then. If not I'll be in the 911T.

Peter
Old 01-07-2022, 02:20 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Hopefully BGB will be done with a couple of things by then. If not I'll be in the 911T.

Peter
Stop by and say hi! I’m usually in a garage just past start/finish - and I’ll be there all three days as I’m serving as a mentor for their beginner instructors on Friday.

Mike
Old 01-07-2022, 04:57 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Stop by and say hi! I’m usually in a garage just past start/finish - and I’ll be there all three days as I’m serving as a mentor for their beginner instructors on Friday.

Mike
Will do that.

Peter
PTSFX (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 10:01 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I've got the Ohlin's in my 987.2 2.9 Cayman, I love them, I think you made a good choice. I run at Sebring 2-3 times a year with Suncoast so maybe I'll see you down there sometime.
PTSFX (01-07-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 11:17 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 295 Likes on 138 Posts

I'd be curious to see some more feedback.

I have a customer car with non canister double adjustable JRZ's and it seems we have to rebuild one every year. We are looking to switch from MSC2's to Hoosiers and in the process I want to re-spring the car, so we thought we might as well upgrade our shocks but we're not sure to go to Ohlins or possibly some type variant of the MCS SPB shocks...

Another local friend and customer has what I believe are the prototype Ohlins and I thought they looked great, however I do not have much driving experience with them.

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 01-10-2022, 11:53 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RennPart
I'd be curious to see some more feedback.

I have a customer car with non canister double adjustable JRZ's and it seems we have to rebuild one every year. We are looking to switch from MSC2's to Hoosiers and in the process I want to re-spring the car, so we thought we might as well upgrade our shocks but we're not sure to go to Ohlins or possibly some type variant of the MCS SPB shocks...

Another local friend and customer has what I believe are the prototype Ohlins and I thought they looked great, however I do not have much driving experience with them.
MCS are great to work with and will help you customize your set up, if you want them to. Great people. I have the 2-way adjustable non-reservoir system, and like everything about them. The warrantee is top notch and most good shops are resellers. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 987.2 S Mostly Track Car: Ohlins R&T vs KWv3