Sponsored by:

Facom Tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:42 PM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facom Tools

I've been eyeing a set of Facom tools and was looking for some opinions of someone who has or had them.

In particular:

1. Quality, where does if fall in relation to say Craftsman and Snap-On.

2. Best place to buy.

3. Where do you return a broken tool? I recently contacted there HQ in Chicago and I was left with the impression that they have virtualy no dealer network.

TIA
Old 04-15-2004, 11:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you called Griot's Garage? I believe they have expanded their Facom tools in their latest catalog
Old 04-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Facom absolutely rocks, maybe better than Snap-On, far above Craftsman.

Sam
Old 04-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A few years ago, while on vacation in rural France, I walked into a neighborhood hardware store that was having a sale on Facom tools. I bought a set of screwdrivers, a set of metric wrenches and a set of sockets. Back then when the dollar was actually worth something, they were dirt cheap. These tools look so good that I'm happy to just be displaying them in my toolbox. Having said that, I believe that at least their screwdrivers are not as durable as those sold by Snap on but far superior to the junk sold by Sears. By the way, Facom has some kind of associations with SK tools and I think they share some items.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:16 AM
LanceK
Pro

Thanks guys!

Sam can you elaborate on the quality etc.?

Also where is a good place to buy and where do you return your tools if you break one?
Old 04-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's the rub, you need to basically mail the thing to them for replacement, which is rather inconvenient, and is why I use Craftsman, and not Snap-On or anyone else - there's a Sears near most every track for rush replacements.

Mclaren F1's included tool kit is a Facom set. Somewhere on the web I read a real nice comparison of a couple top tool brands with testing and take-apart analysis, but I lost it and have not been able to find it again. Griots Garage carries Facom.

Sam
Old 04-16-2004, 11:45 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Facom are one of our customers and have a factory here in the UK which used to be owned by Britool until Facom bought them out. From what I've seen the quality of their kit is every bit as good as Britool was, but Snap-on take some beating.

Ultimately you get what you pay for and Facom is a good middle ground product

Mike
Old 04-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

So which brand is considered "The Best" in the world?

For my amateur DIY needs, Craftsman is generally just fine, although for certain items such as ratchets and torque wrenches I see value in going upscale as they could last the rest of your life.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:04 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

As someone who uses tools every day for a living, I believe Snap-On tools are top quality. Most of my tools are Snap-On. I have some Matco, and Craftsman. There are some Craftsman tools that are just fine, and like most people they are what I started with.
Crafstman sockets,exstensions,impact sockets, and wrenches (the polished "professional" line is better) are all fine. While Craftsman kits might look like a good way to go, I would discourage you from going that route. You will get Standard tools you won't need as well as some pretty crappy ratchets. Craftsman has some new polished ratchets that are alittle bulky,but much better than thier standard ratchets. So just buy the metric socket sets you need in 1/4'' 3/8'' 1/2''.
You will find that higher quality tools will be less bulky and stronger than less expensive alternatives. You get what you pay for most of the time with tools.
If you use them correctly you will find you will not break many tools. The problem is most tools get abused. Chrome sokets being used instead of impact sockets, and ratchets used instead of breaker bars are just a couple of examples. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you.

Last edited by flatsics; 04-17-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

I normally just borrow someone else's tools.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:56 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used Facom for ten years or so. Steve D'Geralamo (sp?) at ultimate garage sells them, or used to. However, the absolute best place to buy them (and many other tools) is the www.toolwarehouse.net Search for them under SK, who owns Facom. 50% the price of Griots. In my experience so far, Their hacksaws and vicegrips are works of art and a joy to use. Wrenches/sockets are just fine. Ratchets I don't like the reverse design at all: too easy to accidentaly change direction; can't tell at a glance whether you are clockwise or counter. So my ratchets are Snap on lever type. I agree Snap On in general are the "best" but breathtakingly expensive even compared w/SK or MAC. I even have some Home Depot husky brand ( I think made by Stanley) that are pretty good.
I love tools.
Brandon
Old 04-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Steve D'Gerolamo
Advanced

As Facom's largest US distributor, I have access to some special deals. Take a look at the items at http://www.ultimategarage.com/facomspecial-Mar2004.html . SD

Old 04-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, how would I order any of the items on special?

Sam
Old 04-21-2004, 01:50 PM
John Brandt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Facom ratchets and think there are none better

This fellow has taken good care of me

http://www.mototools.com/
Old 04-23-2004, 02:17 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by flatsics
If you use them correctly you will find you will not break many tools. The problem is most tools get abused. Chrome sokets being used instead of impact sockets, and ratchets used instead of breaker bars are just a couple of examples. Take care of your tools and they will take care of you.
That's the beauty of Craftsman. You can abuse them. You can use a screwdriver as a pry bar or a chisel. If you bust it, you just take it in and get a new one.

Quick Reply: Facom Tools