Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986 Endurance Racer Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2022 | 10:58 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChampRacerJ
Since I have to get a new flywheel, does anyone have a recommendation for a nice light weight flywheel?
Aasco single mass lightweight flywheel is what most of us use

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...iABEgLkgfD_BwE
Old 11-10-2022 | 12:06 PM
ChampRacerJ
Rennlist Member

I'm reading some do not recommend a single mass light weight flywheel. Claiming the vibrations causes crank shaft failures.
Like anything on the internet there are opposing opinions.

Old 11-11-2022 | 10:52 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

I'm reading some do not recommend a single mass light weight flywheel. Claiming the vibrations causes crank shaft failures.
Like anything on the internet there are opposing opinions.
I’ve been racing mine for 7 years. It’ll probably snap any second. :-)
Old 12-18-2022 | 02:34 PM
Wheelman_99
Rennlist Member

Nice thread and build! It was great to see you make the goal of making it to the Glen in May as you planned!

updates on that timing(fly)wheel damage?

Any updates or feedback regarding running the Tiptronic? How was it on track?
Old 12-18-2022 | 05:32 PM
ChampRacerJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wheelman_99
Nice thread and build! It was great to see you make the goal of making it to the Glen in May as you planned!

updates on that timing(fly)wheel damage?

Any updates or feedback regarding running the Tiptronic? How was it on track?
Thanks for your interest. The flywheel is repaired. I measured the flywheel rotation and spring back and deemed it acceptable to repair the bent tooth.
I was able to bend the tooth back into the proper position and place a weld bead on both edges of the tooth then I filed it to size. All is good now. What an ordeal.

As for the Tip we were not happy at all with it. We drove it by commanding the down shift and letting it up shift on it own. We didn't always get the down shift as commanded. Sometimes no down shift at all and sometimes very latent down shift. And we just weren't fast. I think our best lap was a 2:20 and other Boxsters with the manual were running 2:18 and as fast as 2:12. Too much rotating mass with the torque converter and too much loss through the hydraulic coupling. We managed heat ok with an additional trans cooler. Our 944 runs 2:12 (all on 200 TW tires).

We did some test laps at Thompson (in CT) before the whole crank sensor issue reared its ugly head with the manual trans and we easily ran 1:26 Winning car was a Boxster with a 1:22 I think we would have gotten close to that if it weren't for the crank sensor issue.

We are now looking forward to 2023 and figuring out our race schedule. So far its Road Atl with the two 944s WGI with 944s and Boxster, VIR -944s, Pitt Race 944s and Boxster, Mid Ohio 944 and Boxster. We will get the Boxster to a track day before the first event in 2023.
We are currently rebuilding one of the 944 now and will rebuild the second one after Road ATL.

Last edited by ChampRacerJ; 12-18-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2022 | 11:09 AM
Wheelman_99
Rennlist Member

Good job on the repair! Any clues as to how that happened in the first place?

I'm sure more pace will come with time. Those cars drive so differently and seem to make their speed in different places. Is there an effective aftermarket controller for the trans? Or logic to when it would mis behave that could be learned and or worked around? Sorry if I missed that answer above.

You mentioned 944's. I've been to a few races and follow the series a bit when they cover it. Which 944's are your's?
Old 12-21-2022 | 06:25 PM
ChampRacerJ
Rennlist Member

Good job on the repair! Any clues as to how that happened in the first place?

I'm sure more pace will come with time. Those cars drive so differently and seem to make their speed in different places. Is there an effective aftermarket controller for the trans? Or logic to when it would mis behave that could be learned and or worked around? Sorry if I missed that answer above.

You mentioned 944's. I've been to a few races and follow the series a bit when they cover it. Which 944's are your's?
There was a loose bolt in between the flywheel and engine block. When the torque converter was unbolted from the flex plate, which is done from the starter side, one of the bolts fell in there and wasn't recovered. S**t happens.

I looked into re-programmed Tips, BMW, Audi and VW ZFs and didn't find anything. I then searched for a stand alone trans controller and found very little. I did find that Powertrain Solutions sells their controller to Sound German Automotive so I called them. They sell the stand alone trans controller for the ZF5HP19. Its about $1000 but its not fully developed. The base software/calibration is done. Clutch control strategy is done. He sold about 5 units and got no feedback.
This would require calibration development which I would have to do. It would be on track development at an open track day. I'm not afraid of this but its a long road to a solution. And it still doesn't address what I think is still an issue with the Tip and that is the final gear ratio isn't ideal.

Our team is Visceral Racing Group.

Old 12-24-2022 | 10:18 AM
Wheelman_99
Rennlist Member

Ah it was prob a 50/50 shot which 944 team you were. Y'all have had some good success!

At the risk of bringing up a bad subject, the failure at Laguna was heart breaking... I was rooting for you guys!

Last edited by Wheelman_99; 12-24-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-26-2022 | 10:39 AM
ChampRacerJ
Rennlist Member

Ah it was prob a 50/50 shot which 944 team you were. Y'all have had some good success!

At the risk of bringing up a bad subject, the failure at Laguna was heart breaking... I was rooting for you guys!
Laguna.. I think your referring to the Championship that year at Sonoma where we won on Saturday and were leading on Sunday up to about 45 mins to the finish and the fuss contact for the ignition coil decided it had enough. Lost the Championship. Heartbreaker, but racing, like many things of life is not always about the result as it is about the journey. We look back at that (and many other races) with a great story and experience. The Laguna race in December prior also has a tale but that's for another day.
Old 12-26-2022 | 02:54 PM
Wheelman_99
Rennlist Member

Laguna.. I think your referring to the Championship that year at Sonoma where we won on Saturday and were leading on Sunday up to about 45 mins to the finish and the fuss contact for the ignition coil decided it had enough. Lost the Championship. Heartbreaker, but racing, like many things of life is not always about the result as it is about the journey. We look back at that (and many other races) with a great story and experience. The Laguna race in December prior also has a tale but that's for another day.

Yes Sonoma.... I knew that didn't sound right, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

oh my... I didn't see as much of that one. Did you also runover a Tuttle muffler and smoke an engine?
Old 06-16-2023 | 08:54 AM
ChampRacerJ
Rennlist Member

Hi All,

Quick up date. With the car converted to a manual 5 speed and the crank sensor issue resolved, we went back to WGI. Man, I love this car. The braking and handling are just outstanding. So much nicer than the 944's. But not without issues. I think its cursed. We developed a fuel pressure issue. Only getting 40psi from the returnless 65psi system. Looking at pump, regulator or the in tank filter.

We ran the Continental Extreme Contact Force Tires. I could drive this thing anywhere on the track which was handy as there were 110 or so cars on track. I really like these tires. If you want to try these you can use my discount code SOFIANEKVIP You get 4 tires for the price of 3 with this discount. https://trackdaytire.com/continentalpreorder/

But, man is it fun when its running. At less with the 944's we got a 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th with the 2 cars and 2 days of racing.
Old 06-16-2023 | 02:24 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

That's great to hear! Highly recommend changing gear oil at least every 10 hours and installing the steel Tarett fulcrum pins/bolts to lower the odds of it self destructing.
https://tarett.com/products/steel-fu...5-spd-sfp-5spd

With 75K on my gearbox and the past 5 years being strictly track I lost 4th gear at the Glen this past Tuesday, my buddy lost 3rd a couple weeks ago. It's a shame these are pretty much junk after something goes as the aftermarket 3rd gear is not available yet and OE new parts are apparently impossible to find. Used 2.5 boxes are getting harder to find. Treat her nicely
The following users liked this post:
ChampRacerJ (06-16-2023)

Quick Reply: 986 Endurance Racer Build