Tire Camber Settings for Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Tire Camber Settings for Daytona

Does anyone have experience with camber settings for Daytona. I've heard that less is better. I recently increased my camber and the car feels great, now I'm thinking of bringing down the camber guage in case I have to make any adjustments.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Manny,
I am not changing my alignment for this event. IMO we don't have enough track time to really tune the car, or at least I don't and I would rather have a compromise setting than miss a session because I have to keep trying different settings. I think the camber setting would be more critical in a longer race.

Last edited by Greg Fishman; 04-14-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely keep an eye on tire temps, wear.... as the banking will create higher loads then we're used to. I wouldn't worry about changing alignment either though.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:30 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I have raced there several times, I agree about not changing the settings. We won't get enough track time for it to be a problem.

We have raced in a couple of enduros and it alignment wasn't an issue, I think we might have been a tad quicker...but it didn't hurt the tires.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I guess the only issue I'm worried about is safety and not so much performance. I've driven Lowes Motor Speedway alot of times and never had an issue with overheating of the tires. I don't want to mess with the alignment either (lord knows, tire pressures keep me busy enough).

Thanks for the input and see you all in Daytona...I'm sure I'll be paddocked somewhere between the track and Sebring
Old 04-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Manny, whattires and camber are You running currently and I can give You some good feedback from a Pro Team that has run there for years.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

I found some info on the Rennsport Reunion website, it's applies to the 996 cups but maybe it'll be useful for others. What do you guys with 996 Cupcar's run usually?

http://www.gorace.com/rennsport2/tir...mendations.pdf
Old 04-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I just got back from my mechanics shop and getting my car ready. One of the things we did was realign the right rear. Took some camber out of it and re did the toe. He said with every extra inch of compression in the suspension you will pick up 1 degree of negative camber and you are on the banking for so long that it would be a good idea to change the setting.
They had a lot of problems with Dunlops failing at Daytona when they ran too much negative camber and it wasn't just in the longer runs either.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Ted Drake
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience was with a 911 on the California Speedway roval.
My 2 cents.

I think your normal track set up will be fine on the roval unless racing in hour or longer Enduros.
I do agree on longer races a little less camber on the outside rear.

I ran a couple more lbs of air in the outside rear too.
We checked tire temps right off the bank on the back straight before entering the infield road course. The infield road course will cool tire temps dramatically.
I ran Toyo RA 1 tires and had even wear.

After 5 hours and 300 miles including a 1 hour Enduro and a 30 minute sprint race my troubles were with the CV boots.
I had stock boots and 3 of them failed.

The extended high speeds can send the CV grease into the stock CV boot bellows, creating an eccentric. The side load pressures on the long banked turn can cause the axle to plunge more than normal. I don't know why it is but I was told there is a high ozone area near the transaxle that is tough on rubber parts too.

Next time I will be careful to use a prescribed amount of grease on the CV so as not to stress the boot. I also will run the Smart Racing compact boot or the GNK Aero boot in place of the stock boots with bellows.

The bank at the California Speedway is a hoot. My 911 with a 3.2 and close ratio gears tops out at the end of the straight a 135. Then you enter the bank and complete the banked NASCAR turn without lifting until entering the infield on the back straight.

Quick Reply: Tire Camber Settings for Daytona