Sponsored by:

Fikse Wheel Weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 12:25 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fikse Wheel Weight

Anyone have an idea what the Fikse Profil Series wheels weigh?? Also, if you have any idea what other brands weigh, I am all ears.

I am looking to purchase a nice, strong set of racing wheels that are exceptionally light. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 04-14-2004, 01:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Rich,

Try this fairly complete site. Unfortunately, they don't list the new Profil series.

I voted for the Fikse FM-10's with my wallet. Fikse has FANTASTIC customer service and is unlikely to give you a hard time if a wheel should crack, despite heavy track use.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:55 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just call Fikse and ask them. I have a set of Profil 10s... they have quality written all over them. They're not as light as you think, but they won't fail under load.

I did a rough comparison of my '02 Carrera 18s with Rossos vs. the Fikses with S-03s. The Fikses were about 1 lb heavier in front and about 2 lbs heavier in the rear per wheel. This is just a rough comparison, especially since the Rossos had some wear on them. The Profil 10s have a lot of spokes compared to the Carreras.

The '02 Carrera wheels are some of the lightest Porsche rims around... albeit with cast construction.

One note... the "race satin anodized" finish is a touch shiny. Not over the top, but it's definitely NOT a matte finish.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:31 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

that weight test might have been a bit off because it is pretty well known that Bridgestone S03s are a VERY heavy tire in comparison to most other tires.

...for example, an S03 in 225 45 17 is 25 pounds whereas the same size tire in a Kuhmo 712 is only 20 pounds...

people seem to forget that tire weight plays a huge roll in overall weight!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:57 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ceboyd
that weight test might have been a bit off because it is pretty well known that Bridgestone S03s are a VERY heavy tire in comparison to most other tires.
I totally agree with you... I didn't even write down the weights since I had different tires with differing degrees of wear.

Regarding the race satin finish, NOTHING sticks to it! It really eases the clean up chore.

Cheers!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:16 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I'll second the race satin (anodized) finish. Just cleaned up my new wheels for the 2nd time and only needed a sponge and a little soap.

They do have a slightly cloudy appearance when up close, so concours participants may not like them as much as the polished finish.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

The race satin is the way to go, but four days of driving at Sebring plus twelve hours of some occasional rain on the way back up ensured that my Hawk Blue compound corroded and stained the surface of the anodization as well as the raw aluminum lip. It took a 100 Q-tips, some Wenol red and a bit of time one weekend to get them back to new.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:51 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wenol? Interesting... learn something new everyday!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

RJ,

Matt at Fikse told me to use Wenol Red. It works wonderfully at getting the mirror shine back to the raw Al rims after water and Hawk Blue dust have etched the surface.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:25 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you this much. My car was 40 Lbs heavier with factory solid 18" twists & PSCs than it was with 18" Fikses & new Hoosiers. I came in 2 Lbs underweight when they called me to the scales @ TWS If I remember right, my FM10s were 21 lbs. for the 18x10s & 19 lbs for the 18x8s.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Mark

What is Wenol Red?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:20 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Mike in Chi
Mark

What is Wenol Red?
yes, please DO tell.. that's a new one on me too.... and I use my 18" FM5s (with satin finish) for track and am wondering how I can clean them up better myself!!! (not for concourse but I like when they are all shiney)
Old 04-15-2004, 12:50 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Mike and ceboyd,

Good question as I had no idea until I spoke to Matt. Wenol Red (and Blue) is a German polish that you can buy online (or maybe at your local auto parts store. None of the local places had it).

Here's some info on the stuff:

Wenol (red) Original Formula All-Purpose Metal Cleaner - Easy to use, Original Formula All-Purpose Wenol Metal Cleaner makes restoring old metals easy. This quick restorer is packed with gentle cleaners that SAFELY reach deep into metals - where stains hide - and get them out! Wenol quickly removes surface rust, oxidation, animal stains, and soap and hard water spots in just minutes. And, there's no need for hard rubbing. Simply apply a SMALL amount of Wenol Metal Polish to the surface, or to the polishing cloth, and rub gently. Then, use a soft, dry cloth and buff the cleaned area to a brilliant new shine. May also be applied with power buffers. On tough stains, rub slightly longer - NOT HARDER. You'll be delighted with the fast, professional results Wenol delivers. Not suitable for coated surfaces. WENOL cleans, polishes, and protects in one easy step to quickly restore your metals to new again.

Wenol (blue) Polish - Auto Wenol's gentle formula takes the worry out of caring for wheels, trim, and equipment - and delivers a brilliance you don't expect from a metal polish. Use Auto Wenol sparingly (a single 100 ml tube can polish as many as 50 wheels). Apply with a SOFT polishing cloth (a microfiber towel is recommended). Rub Auto Wenol into the metal GENTLY, then buff the clean surface to achieve a show quality shine. Auto Wenol provides a protective coating to ensure a lasting brilliance.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:00 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by JW in Texas
I came in 2 Lbs underweight when they called me to the scales @ TWS
JW, next time just head over to the snacky bar for a few of them chorizo thangs before heading to the scales... just be ready for that extra pit.

Quick Reply: Fikse Wheel Weight