Sponsored by:

Critique My Lap of Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 09:15 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Hoping it will help the discussion I will add a nice (not perfect) lap on the 997 GT3R. How I would have liked to have more practice time and an accelerator pedal not as touchy. My lines through some turns are different than what some of you take (T16 for example). Don't if better or not but fast for sure!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-RLYza-60Y4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-28-2022, 09:22 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

One day I will figure out how to embed videos....
The following 2 users liked this post by Juan Lopez:
ced357 (01-29-2022), ProCoach (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 09:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Hoping it will help the discussion I will add a nice (not perfect) lap on the 997 GT3R.

My lines through some turns are different than what some of you take (T16 for example). Don't if better or not but fast for sure!
Oh, man! You already know how I feel, but your T1, T5, T10, T16 and T17 are AWESOME!

Oh, that T1! SUCH good discipline, such early throttle pickup...

Still, done braking too soon if you have that double-pump the gas after you first go back to it. Like T5 a touch, T7 and T13.

Yes, I know the throttle mapping is not optimal!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-28-2022 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Juan Lopez (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 09:55 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks sir! Throttle mapping is so touchy, especially since I was right foot braking. The transition back to gas would result in a little blip. On the new car I will train myself to only left foot brake.

Braking you are spot on. We were trying a new compound (great stuff) which I found out that especially at 7 and 13 would allow for deeper braking.

Let's see how all of this translates to the R8 (you read that right! R8 LMS GT3 Evo). I should have video of some fast laps on the 991 GT3R. I cant remember my fast lap on that one but if memory serves me right it was a high 1 or low 2.

I wonder how much different it could be on Michelins.

Kind regards Peter!!!!!

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Oh, man! You already know how I feel, but your T1, T5, T10, T16 and T17 are AWESOME!

Oh, that T1! SUCH good discipline, such early throttle pickup...

Still, done braking too soon if you have that double-pump the gas after you first go back to it. Like T5 a touch, T7 and T13.

Yes, I know the throttle mapping is not optimal!

Last edited by Juan Lopez; 01-28-2022 at 10:01 PM.
ProCoach (01-28-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 01:46 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 328 Posts

Just finished re-reading this whole thread again in preparation for getting back to the track Friday and Saturday. Looking forward to getting back out there and practicing the newest comments from everyone in this thread. I am also excited to have my VBox working again so I can see much more specific data
ProCoach (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 04:29 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 222 Posts

Ill be there Saturday!

Mike
Mike Roblin (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 06:56 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Hoping it will help the discussion I will add a nice (not perfect) lap on the 997 GT3R. How I would have liked to have more practice time and an accelerator pedal not as touchy. My lines through some turns are different than what some of you take (T16 for example). Don't if better or not but fast for sure!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-RLYza-60Y4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Incredible lap and so much to learn from based on your video! I am back at Sebring this weekend in the Trofeo and our speeds are very similar but your way more committed than me. Throttle mapping and bouncing on and off the gas pedal is my biggest issue, wish I could change the mapping but its locked.
Juan Lopez (06-01-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 09:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hsb1001
Incredible lap and so much to learn from based on your video! I am back at Sebring this weekend in the Trofeo and our speeds are very similar but your way more committed than me. Throttle mapping and bouncing on and off the gas pedal is my biggest issue, wish I could change the mapping but its locked.
That’s it, in a nutshell, for most drivers. Speeds similar but low speeds last for a way longer duration than the quicker driver’s low speeds.

JLS, like most of the quickest drivers, works out in exquisite and excruciating detail (for every direction change and acceleration phase) EXACTLY where he wants to go, and EXACTLY what he’s going to do when he gets there. NO WASTED TIME.

If he overcooks it slightly, he recognizes early and fixes it, but then goes on to the next goal.

Really been fun watching him do work over the last decade or so.
Juan Lopez (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 09:00 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

From the past weekend at Sebring, so much traffic that I decided to park the car until the fall as the only clear laps I got were warm up or cool down. Huracan Super Trofeo non Evo spec, are far too hot to do DE's now in FL. Allot more left on the table and when the cooler conditions arrive, I plan on some real coaching to find the lost time. I didn't get the data from the Motec or Racekeeper in the car but glad the Garmin was working for this run.

Last edited by hsb1001; 06-01-2022 at 09:01 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by hsb1001:
Juan Lopez (06-01-2022), MC129 (06-02-2022), ProCoach (06-01-2022), roadie13 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 10:52 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Wow - things happen quickly in that car. A bit overkill for regular DE groups I would say. David's Murry has premium events with 25 cars max. That would be a good venue for you because it's mostly IMSA and SRO Race teams.
ProCoach (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 11:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Wow - things happen quickly in that car. A bit overkill for regular DE groups I would say. David's Murry has premium events with 25 cars max. That would be a good venue for you because it's mostly IMSA and SRO Race teams.
+1
ProCoach (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 11:14 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

From the past weekend at Sebring, so much traffic that I decided to park the car until the fall as the only clear laps I got were warm up or cool down. Huracan Super Trofeo non Evo spec, are far too hot to do DE's now in FL. Allot more left on the table and when the cooler conditions arrive, I plan on some real coaching to find the lost time. I didn't get the data from the Motec or Racekeeper in the car but glad the Garmin was working for this run.

https://youtu.be/mS8wyFK6DUM
Holy Crap!!!!
Veloce Raptor (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 12:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I didn't get the data from the Motec or Racekeeper in the car but glad the Garmin was working for this run.
For an experienced coach, the Garmin shows rich opportunities to improve. However, the MoTeC needs to work to get the most from a coaching session and you should ditch the Race-Keeper for a VBOX tied into the MoTeC for the best tools to work with, get coaching and then to self-coach effectively.

Agree with a car that fast you need a better venue, less density, quicker cars, to have an environment where you can put it all together.

However, the VBOX can put together pieces parts of the track (fully configurable) to find and focus on you best execution, even if you can’t get a clean lap, as long as you’re able to do each corner or corner complex well at least ONCE during the entire session.

Congrats. Great car and you’re knocking on the door of a good improvement. I have worked at Sebring with Gallardo and Huracan Super Trofeo (most recently some EVO) drivers and they are fantastic, very quick cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Juan Lopez (06-01-2022), Veloce Raptor (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 01:46 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
For an experienced coach, the Garmin shows rich opportunities to improve. However, the MoTeC needs to work to get the most from a coaching session and you should ditch the Race-Keeper for a VBOX tied into the MoTeC for the best tools to work with, get coaching and then to self-coach effectively.

Agree with a car that fast you need a better venue, less density, quicker cars, to have an environment where you can put it all together.

However, the VBOX can put together pieces parts of the track (fully configurable) to find and focus on you best execution, even if you can’t get a clean lap, as long as you’re able to do each corner or corner complex well at least ONCE during the entire session.

Congrats. Great car and you’re knocking on the door of a good improvement. I have worked at Sebring with Gallardo and Huracan Super Trofeo (most recently some EVO) drivers and they are fantastic, very quick cars.
I have a VBOX but haven't had time to install it yet, the other stuff will be thrown out The goal is to get up to speed in this car and then off to the races we go in 2023, Im told I qualify for the old man class in the Trofeo series even at 45. My first season of racing next year but the plan is to do some lower level races in this car before I move into a newer one. I will also do some Porsche things next year too but PCA stuff is the plan as Porsches are so much easier to drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by hsb1001:
Juan Lopez (06-01-2022), ProCoach (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 02:32 PM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
For sure, open pit lane days suck at Sebring too as its 40+ cars on track and navigating Miata's is dangerous. On Sat I only did 2 runs and called it a day as far too dangerous, plus it gets annoying as your burning expensive gas and tires for no reason.

Quick Reply: Critique My Lap of Sebring