Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique My Lap of Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022 | 01:32 PM
steved0x
Pro

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I can make it out of Oak Tree in 2nd and get launched out of there. I’ve done it both ways. In 2nd, I need to shift into 3rd almost as soon as the car is pointed up the back straight. If I come out of Oak Tree in 3rd, the car needs to catch up to the revs, even using auto the blip. I prefer a quick downshift into 2nd right before turning onto the back straight.

Sorry for hijacking the Sebring thread with VIR stuff guys. I’ll stop now. Thanks.
In my Cayman, if I go to 2nd for oak tree exit, my vMin is very slightly lower, but overall it is faster. And when I shift from 3->2, the engine braking after the shift seems like it helps to drag the nose right and give me a better exit. If my skills were better and downshiftng I could probably roll the same vMin.

Moving to Sebring, T7 is the only place I go to 2nd. The other spots, like T10 and T13 are just too close to the top of 2nd for me to get a good downshift without overslowing. With a PDK I bet I could pick up 2 bits of time exiting out of these corners. Same for T3.
Old 01-27-2022 | 01:46 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Turn entry gear choice can really make a difference. The engine braking in lower gears can really make it really tough to keep entry speed up. I've worked with a few drivers on this extensively where you have to try both gears, see what is faster in the data, see what is repeatable fast by the driver (i.e. not overslowing in a lower gear), then figure out how to do the best, most consistent thing. Then it's on to the next time savings!

This is also an area where drilling into the data, then developing a deliberate practice exercise and session to do it in makes big dividends. When you learn this skill at this corner you then get to utilize it in other corners and other tracks. It's an area that the real pro drivers constantly evaluate and experiment with. Most of them are amazingly fast at doing it and determining what is better based on not just the min speed and exit, but the difficulty in doing it over the length of a race.

When you make the jump to RS3A, there is a cool trick to make this plot colored by gear so you can see the when the gear shift happens. Even overlaying the shift in your data can start to give you some insight into the timing of the shift and how it affects the rest of the corner.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
@ParadiseGT3 , I think you could DEFINITELY pick up vMin in second. The more precipitous decline at the end of braking is opposite the desired skill execution. Would need to see the RPM trace in concert with this to say for sure. What Matt wrote is the best methodology:

Also, the best execution of a specific approach trumps a theoretical or transitory gain based on better launch or target exit RPM and point of fully achieving WOT. I’ve stopped pushing people on an alternate if they just can’t execute consistently or bring themselves to do it well. Too much other low hanging fruit.

The best drivers do practice two alternate strategies until they’re repeatable and comfortable, then make the comparison in the same session doing a three lap burst one way, then the other. If they don’t want to look at data, they can look at the predictive before and after and gain validation that way.
Good stuff to chew on, thanks guys.

The (probable) overslowing at the end of braking and earlier vMin is the squaring off of the corner. With the lower gear you’re straightening out and shifting the corner exit line rightward, more adjacent to the T10 inside apex curbing. If you were to carry equal vMin in 2nd and track out to the same extent as in 3rd gear – the rounder driving line – I’m not sure that would work. The back end is more nervous at higher rpms, you’d be too far left when you jumped back on the gas in 2nd (it’s bumpy over there too), and then compromised as you attempted to turn in to Collier apex #1.

But if you can get closer to 3rd gear vMin in 2nd and keep it tighter to the inside T10 curbing, seems it’s the right gearing approach. That jump out of the corner is a big-time advantage. Even with a -5 mph vMin in 2nd, gained a tenth vs steady in 3rd.

A similar S. Florida corner is T6 at Homestead, can be taken in 2nd or 3rd. But there it’s pretty definitive advantage downshifting to 2nd and jumping out of the corner before a quick upshift to 3rd.

Newer to Porsches and one of the driving adjustments I’ve had to make, remembering there's endless rear traction. If there’s the option, in most cases it's going to be the lower gear and power exit. In just about everything else I’ve driven both of these corners are 3rd gear end of story.
Old 01-27-2022 | 02:18 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steved0x
In my Cayman, if I go to 2nd for oak tree exit, my vMin is very slightly lower, but overall it is faster. And when I shift from 3->2, the engine braking after the shift seems like it helps to drag the nose right and give me a better exit. If my skills were better and downshiftng I could probably roll the same vMin.

Moving to Sebring, T7 is the only place I go to 2nd. The other spots, like T10 and T13 are just too close to the top of 2nd for me to get a good downshift without overslowing. With a PDK I bet I could pick up 2 bits of time exiting out of these corners. Same for T3.
Agree, at Sebring I only used 2nd gear right before turning into T-7, then it's a quick pop into 3rd almost as soon as I'm out of 7. That's the only place on the track I am in 2nd, and it's only for a second or two if that....

My Cayman S (981S), in sport plus PDK, would probably drop into 2nd gear if I mashed the throttle at turn in for 7. I can't confirm that, but I think I'd be going slow enough for the PDK to downshift into 2nd right there, and only right there. Again, can't confirm that.....yet.
The following users liked this post:
steved0x (01-28-2022)
Old 01-27-2022 | 02:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Different cars with different redlines.... Cup motors will wind out a lot farther than a street Cayman, and most of their power is way up the RPM's
Old 01-27-2022 | 03:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

+1 to VR.

The idea that one gear methodology fits or is optimal for each track is why a lot of folks don’t improve.

Most DE drivers do not use or even study the potential of their specific car.

Make the gear make sense for the exit speed of the corner.

Make the vMin early, but not too early.

If you have to shift up using MAXIMUM revs before track out, you are going down to low in gear.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Matt Romanowski (01-27-2022), Veloce Raptor (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022 | 06:06 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think most tracks are challenging to go truly fast. However, IMO, for most newcomers, Sebring LOOKS deceivingly easy. They look at the track map and the fact that it is flatter than Danica Patrick, and they think "easy peasy".
After all the years driving Sebring there are still a few corners I still don’t think I’ve mastered. Turn 1 16 and 17 are three right off the top of my head that I feel I leave the most time but I’m sure most of the others could stand some improvement also. This track is so epically fun. I feel grateful to live only 2 hours drive from it.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mark Dreyer:
Juan Lopez (06-16-2022), Mike Roblin (01-27-2022), ProCoach (01-27-2022), steved0x (01-27-2022), Veloce Raptor (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022 | 09:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Who's going to be practicing with David Murray Tuesday/Wed? See you there!
Old 01-28-2022 | 01:52 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Nice 2:06 by Mike Skeen in 991.2 Cup. 4:00 minute mark starts fast lap.

Veloce Raptor (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022 | 02:10 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Nice 2:06 by Mike Skeen in 991.2 Cup. 4:00 minute mark starts fast lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e66XmvsoMrM
Amazing......
Old 01-28-2022 | 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Too bad the brake bar wasn’t set up right. But, you can see the gSum and the relative brake application under the red bar on Skeen’s video.

Here’s something a little quicker (well, a LOT quicker):

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-28-2022 at 03:00 PM.
9114609048 (01-28-2022), Veloce Raptor (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022 | 06:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Using all of the track and then some. Driver?
Old 01-28-2022 | 06:40 PM
txbdan
Pro

I had Skeen as an instructor long ago and he took me around VIR in his E30 318. I swear it felt like he never touched an input, the car just magically went around the track smoothly and perfectly and very quickly. I'd love to see those Gsums.
ProCoach (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022 | 08:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by txbdan
I had Skeen as an instructor long ago and he took me around VIR in his E30 318. I swear it felt like he never touched an input, the car just magically went around the track smoothly and perfectly and very quickly. I'd love to see those Gsums.
Ask and ye shall receive!

Traqmate doesn't have gSum, but this is Skeen's record lap in that car, a SpecE30 he won the NASA Championship with, from 2008. Track was four seconds slower then than now. Narrower, more hazardous...

That speed trace is beautiful... We decided he could do better in T11 into Oak Tree, more a single downwards stroke in speed throughout the entire braking zone. He did it, next time out.

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-28-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2022 | 08:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nizer
Using all of the track and then some. Driver?
Fred Makowiecki. Q3, R1

https://us.motorsport.com/imsa/news/...value%5D=12423
Old 01-28-2022 | 08:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I love Sebring because it's really hard to learn, as a consequence it's hard to commit, it's possible to lose your bearings sometimes and it's (relatively) flat, which makes it hard to pick out references.

Just the ability to learn the order and severity of the corners, the disclpline required in T5, T15 and T17 and committing to the HUSTLE required in both T3-T5 and T15-T16 is REALLY rewarding.
9114609048 (01-28-2022), ParadiseGT3 (01-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Critique My Lap of Sebring