Sponsored by:

Critique My Lap of Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 06:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Yes the "accelerate-to" point idea is FAR more productive and better than the "brake-at" point.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Juan Lopez (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:56 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

T17 perhaps my favorite corner at Sebring! or is it 10, no hold that thought 13 or ?

I have been around it many times and in different cars. There is one goal/target no matter which car I have been on. What is it?
Old 01-10-2022, 01:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

BACK to POWER!
Mike Roblin (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 01:27 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
BACK to POWER!
Yes my dear friend!

I like the references to Accelerate to point and I'll add the BACK to POWER point.

One thing to remember (sounds simple enough) but talking to a couple of drivers there in December about "accelerate to", braking points and braking performance.... don't forget that braking performance coming into any turn is affected by how well you exited the prior turn . Freely quoted: "I am doing what you suggested on 14-15-16 wow that segment is much better and easier. Now I must fix my entry to mid point on 17 as I'm running out of space to brake".
ProCoach (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:55 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 312 Posts

Mike's vMin averaged ~70 mph in the best segments of his run.
So, I’ve got a lot of room for improvement eh?

Yes the "accelerate-to" point idea is FAR more productive and better than the "brake-at" point.
Excellent advice that I’ll try when I get up there next week for Winterfest
Old 01-10-2022, 03:57 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PUNKT2
I’ll add my $.02 which echo some of the braking advice above, but put in the simplest term that I’ve ever heard, and for me simple is good! I’ve had two pro coaches ride with me at Sebring, and one of the most beneficial things either taught me was to retrain your brain, and instead of referring to a “braking point”, refer to it as a “stop accelerating point” and then work on transiting from full throttle to full brake as quickly as possible.

The screen shots below made me think of this, as your “braking point” of just past where the surface changes into T7 is spot on, however you begin to lift sooner (first image below) and coast for 1/2 second before moving to the brake. If you were WOT until the second screen shot, you’d eliminate that 1/2 second of coasting, and save .2 in every brake zone.

I lowered my previous PB by over a second immediately by using this tactic, and I had a very respectable lap time prior to doing so.
Also very useful advice, thanks!
Old 01-25-2022, 09:41 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

So... Just finished a great weekend at PBOC's Winterfest and what an awesome event it was! I tried pretty much all of the suggestions above and was able to make quite a few big improvements in my driving (and lap time too!). I experimented with trail braking into Turn 1 and further into Turn 17 and I felt much more confident in both turns as the weekend wore on. In my prior car (much softer suspension) I always felt I had great confidence in these two turns but the 6Cup is a whole different animal that really had eroded much of my confidence and I was struggling to gain it back. This weekend was a turning point for me though and I am really starting to feel much better in the car now. Still room for improvement as always, but I'm really starting to get comfortable with the car now.

The unfortunate part of the weekend was that I couldn't get any data recorded with my vbox but since I do also have a Garmin Catalyst in the car I have that data to look at and review. My best session was my last one on Sunday and I was locked in so well mentally that I just kept going faster and faster. I put in a 2:16.4 and then did another low 2:16 followed up by a lap that I was up almost half a second from my best before getting held up with slower traffic in 14-15-16. The catalyst says my best possible would have been a 2:15.9 and had I not been held up on that last flyer I'm sure it would have been right there! I'll post up the video later this week once I have a chance to download it from the unit, stay tuned...

Last edited by Mike Roblin; 01-25-2022 at 09:42 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mike Roblin:
dgrobs (01-25-2022), ProCoach (01-25-2022), Veloce Raptor (01-25-2022), ydd (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 04:20 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Hey Mike, nice meeting you this weekend.

Sorry I didn't have more time to hang out and chat. Between my student and the provisional Super Solo duties with the flaggers and grid, I just didn't have the time. Next season.

The line I am taking, as well as throttle and brake application, is similar to yours in the first video. You are def better on the pedals than I was.

The best I could muster was a 2:21:06 on Sunday 2nd morning session with 6 cycles on the R-7's, so still plenty of life in them.

The more I tried to break that 2:20 mark all weekend, the slower my times got, so I just stopped even trying, and that's when I had my PB for the 4 days, the 2:21:06.

Considering I started Thursday with 2:24-2:26's, I am happy with the 2:21:06 I got to on Sunday.

Next season at Winterfest, hopefully I can get below that 2:20 mark.

I think if I lose another 30 lbs., that will help...lol.

Great driving on your part. Nice meeting you.

Last edited by dgrobs; 01-25-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs

The more I tried to break that 2:20 mark all weekend, the slower my times got, so I just stopped even trying, and that's when I had my PB for the 4 days, the 2:21:06.
dgrobs, this was stolen from another instructor, but is apt, in this case. "Going fast is not a skill, it’s an outcome."

Sounds like a great event, it sure is a great track!
Old 01-25-2022, 04:33 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

dgrobs, this was stolen from another instructor, but is apt, in this case. "Going fast is not a skill, it’s an outcome."

Sounds like a great event, it sure is a great track!
Great track? Yes.

Me going fast(er)? Not so much.

I think someone in my right seat would've helped a lot, but just didn't have the time to find someone.

Next Winterfest, for sure!!
Old 01-25-2022, 05:54 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Great track? Yes.

Me going fast(er)? Not so much.

I think someone in my right seat would've helped a lot, but just didn't have the time to find someone.

Next Winterfest, for sure!!
It was nice meeting you as well, glad you enjoyed the event.

I’ll be happy to jump in the right seat with you next year Bruce, we’ll get you into the teens for sure!

Last edited by Mike Roblin; 01-25-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:55 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
I’ll be happy to jump in the right seat with you next year Bruce, we’ll get you into the teens for sure!
Woohoooooooooo.....................

I just don't know the track as well I should yet. I also suck. Both will change.....
Old 01-25-2022, 06:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Woohoooooooooo.....................

I just don't know the track as well I should yet. I also suck. Both will change.....
You just won the lottery. Mike will surely help get you there.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:56 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Ok, here are the laps... The first one is my complete personal best lap of 2:16.39 with the lap delta set to see my current time vs. the theoretical best.

In the second one the lap delta is set vs. my actual best time above and I'm actually up by 6 tenths exiting Turn 13 but then held up by the Viper... Oh well, gotta go try again!

Old 01-25-2022, 08:58 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

You just won the lottery. Mike will surely help get you there.
Thanks for the compliment Peter! I agree too, I'll get Bruce there

Quick Reply: Critique My Lap of Sebring