Sponsored by:

Critique My Lap of Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 03:46 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mike, regardless of which system you use, with the proper focus, it is easy to take a quick after each session to look for low hanging fruit and/or gauge how you performed in a specific area where you had an objective. The key is picking few (and the right) parameters. I can show you how to do this
Thanks Dave, what I was taught was to start by reviewing the combined G and use that as a gauge for the overall grip available for the tires/car. Obviously if a corner has helpful camber or an uphill braking zone that can give more grip - you have to adjust how much you are looking for. Generally speaking, I'm seeing a maximum 1.35G lateral from my data so I was working to review where I was less than this but not at WOT to find the lowest hanging fruit to work on. Once I have that ironed out I'll start looking at other channels of data to further refine things. This seems like the best path for me so far!

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Well, you know how to do this and what you're looking for more than most!
I still think back to the session in your office where we reviewed the lap of that GT4. And you asking me to generate 1.7G decel in the uphill braking zone going into Turn 13! I really just need to spend more time with it and to dedicate myself to the regiment of pulling the data as soon as the session goes cold. Easier said than done when I am running around as the CI for the event, but still doable if I set my mind to it.

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I’d love to work together with you at a few events comparing data, maybe sharing a coach like Peter or Dave! From then we get in touch with Roger Penske and see if we can help him bring another podium. :-))
Mark, I'd be glad to do an event where we can work together with a coach. We'll have to coordinate for the next time! I'm sure Mr. Penske will be thrilled with our progress
Old 01-29-2024, 04:07 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

I think that’s a GREAT graph, right there!

THIS is where people can improve the most, IME. They get so fixated on the vMin that they don’t realize that they’re at or around it for WAY too long.

Drivers usually feel the urgency around the same time to go to WOT, and can if they don’t take too shallow an entry trajectory. Think unwind instead of stay wound or having to wind in more steering.

Then, the obvious area to improve upon is the entry, moving the vMin closer and closer to the point where you can go back to power, instead of the dreaded, extended periods of “maintenance” throttle through long corners like T1 and T17.

Good analysis that anyone can do just reviewing video with speed on it. Count off at 2 mph above vMin from entry to progression to WOT begins. I see some with SIX seconds at or near vMin at T17, and still turning sub 2:12 laps.
Larry - Thanks for the great graphs, too bad I can't give you data these days. Excellent point though.

Peter,
Working to get away from "maintenance" throttle (or shortening it as much as I could) is what I was working to improve in T1 and T17 during this event. It really struck me when I was at VIR how much being in positive throttle affected the steering of the car over bumps or curbs and that was when it clicked for me that holding the car back was actually making the bumps WORSE than if I got back to WOT and held on. Another place where this was apparent was clipping the inside curb coming through T3, if I wasn't thrust positive it would really upset the car - but if I was, I could feel it but the car remained stable.

My goal in T1 and T17 was to arc the car in while dragging the brakes but then once having the right sight picture getting back to WOT as soon as possible. In my review of the session data over lunch today, it is apparent that I reduced my time between EoB and getting back to WOT, now I just need to work on pulling my vMin up a few MPH at a time until I get to a speed that correlates to a higher gSum. In the braking zone for T17 I initially get to a gSum of ~1.3g but as I quickly bleed off my brake pressure my gSum drops away more than necessary and my vMin of 63 MPH corresponds to a gSum of about 1g instead of my target of 1.3g.

What this tells me is that I'm on the brakes too early, bleed off too much pressure too soon (trying not to overslow too much before the second turn-in point), and over slow for the corner. My goal based on this is to move my BoB deeper into the corner (a little at a time!) and to raise my vMin just before crossing perpendicularly under the bridge while getting back to the throttle with more discipline to staying at WOT!

Next time...
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 04:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Bingo, Mike! And people spend thousands with pro coaches to find this out.

j/k, there’s a lot more than that to it, but you have the crux…

I’ll say only that the next goal for you is to carry more speed DEEPER into the brake zone, so that you have more energy in the car when you finally needs to turn.

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-29-2024 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Roblin (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 04:44 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Bingo, Mike! And people spend thousands with pro coaches to find this out.

j/k, there’s a lot more than that to it, but you have the crux…

I’ll say only that the next goal for you is to carry more speed DEEPER into the brake zone, so that you have more energy in the car when you finally needs to turn.
Thanks Peter, hopefully I can figure out a day to get back up to Sebring in February so I can put this into practice. Probably a bit optimistic though as I need to find a new truck to replace the one some @$$hole stole out of my driveway last week...
Old 01-29-2024, 04:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Thanks Peter, hopefully I can figure out a day to get back up to Sebring in February so I can put this into practice. Probably a bit optimistic though as I need to find a new truck to replace the one some @$$hole stole out of my driveway last week...
Where is the sad button?

To practice, brake in the normal place, just not so hard. Strive to roll more speed deeper (further) into the brake zone by either beginning your brake release sooner and slower, or just don't maintain pressure so hard. Audit the gSum to make sure it's never below 1.1 or 1.15.

Sorry to hear about the truck.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-29-2024, 05:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
now I just need to work on pulling my vMin up a few MPH at a time until I get to a speed that correlates to a higher gSum.

In the braking zone for T17 I initially get to a gSum of ~1.3g but as I quickly bleed off my brake pressure my gSum drops away more than necessary and my vMin of 63 MPH corresponds to a gSum of about 1g instead of my target of 1.3g.

What this tells me is that I'm on the brakes too early, bleed off too much pressure too soon (trying not to overslow too much before the second turn-in point), and over slow for the corner.

My goal based on this is to move my BoB deeper into the corner (a little at a time!) and to raise my vMin just before crossing perpendicularly under the bridge while getting back to the throttle with more discipline to staying at WOT!

Next time...
I agree your goal is to preserve your good, efficient and high-decel braking by moving your BoB further in, but it's a tricky place to do that. So, just go easier. Maintain 1.1 or above and distribute that over a longer area, deeper into the corner so you can stay at or above that in the transition to cornering. Your vMin should last only momentarily. That is the goal.

Here is a great heat map of the distribution of forces acting on the car in all axis (gSum). This guy was the first I worked with more than a decade ago who turned, THEN braked and maintained high gSum throughout. Now, he's in a forty-five year old LeMans 2-liter car doing 2:05's (he is a New Yorker with period LeMans experience), but he's DOING it.

gSum heat map, Sebring T17

Color legend for heat map

Good luck, hope they find that truck or you get a new one fast!

Quick Reply: Critique My Lap of Sebring