Tire cording Q

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:44 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Unhappy Tire cording Q

Last fall at CMP I ran the old Hoosiers on my 993 with stock suspension (it has Eibach sport springs). The car was aligned the week prior to the race by a well known race shop for the purpose of track only use. I then went to VIR and ran the Fall Fling. I corded three of the four tires (not real bad but I could see the thread). They were corded on the inner 1/8th of the tire. The affected tires were the two fronts and the left rear. No sweat, I was glad to finally cord a race tire on the inner edge.
4 months later I return to CMP for the club race weekend with one set of wheels. First thing I did was put on four of the new Hoosiers. Couldn't heat cycle them because of I did not have a chance to get my extra wheels out of storage.
Ran the early practices but not hard as the track was wet/drying. I did run them in the afternoon pretty good and then they obviously sat overnight (not really heat cycling but under the circumstances the best I could do). Ran the sprint race and the practices and enduro on Sunday. Get home and look real close at the tires and notice the left front and left rear are corded. It looks like they delaminated on the outside 1/16th of the tire (about the width of a pencil). They are delaminated on the very edge of the tire. The right side tires have mucho tire left on the outer edge.
My questions are:
1. Why did they cord on the outer edge this time and inner the last time?
2. Should the tires have "peeled" rubber away like they did? Is this a manufacturing issue?
3. If I had spent money on Motons, ape-like springs, sways, spherical bearings, etc like I should have, would that result in better wear, or at least more predictable wear?
4. Should I get the alignment checked again? I am at a loss as to how to stop this crazy rate of tire wear. The inner half of the left tires seem to have little wear.
5. Can/should/would you, flip the outside edge to the inside and use them for a DE?

Bottom line is I am wondering if running on the stock suspension is costing me money on tires. I can't afford $1K a weekend on a set of tires.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

If you bought them from Woodman, I would show the tires to him at the next race, he's always helpful.
We had a problem with blistering on the inside rears, when running a 993 tt at de's and he sent them to hoosier and got a new set under warranty.
It's kind of peculier that a front and rear from opposite sides got corded, when was the last time you had the car corner balanced? What kind of camber are you running?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:57 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Whoops, I edited the original to say the new tires that corded were the left front and rear. Sorry. Also added a question. I plan on keeping the tires but I don't know when I'll be able to get to an event Woodman will be at as I live in Ohio.

I had the Tech guys check the weight for me last fall and they then put me in the car and wrote out the corner weights for me. I can't remember the exact numbers but I was really impressed with Jon Wright of Wright Tuning's corner balancing (they put a guy in the car they thought was my size). I have the alignment numbers and corner weights at the office and will post later today.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

John,
That doesn't sound right. Double check that the alignment is right and that all the suspension bolts are tight.

Maybe your car is getting positive camber as you compress the suspension?
At most tracks I swap the tires side to side so that I get even wear.

Yes, you should get Motons.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

At a local DE this past wknd, there were at least 2 cars (including my own) that had premature cording problems with the new Hoosier S04s.

They seemed to wear out both the inner and outer shoulders, with very little to no wear in the center of the tire. I never saw this with the S03s.

One of the cars, a 993, corded both the inside and outside edge on one rear tire, and the inside edge on the other rear.

The other car, a 944T, corded the inside edge of a rear tire. But again, both the inside and outside shoulders were shot. This was after only three 20 minute track sessions.

Anyone else have any problems with the new S04s like this?
Old 04-28-2004, 01:47 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all;

Judging by the wide array of cars and instances, and that it is unlikely that everyone is running the same pressures, alignment specs, and driving styles, but the results are similar, I would say that it may indeed be a problem with the new tires themselves.

Now, there could be vast differences in the S03 and S04 tire's construction that could be a factor. Remember the old no-camber-needed Comp TA R1s? They would fry the insides if you cambered much past -2, and fry the middles if you under inflated them.

Like you I find it very suspicious that one model would inside cord, and the other outside. That would indeed be an awfully big difference in construction, eh?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:24 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

we have seen this happen before.

what PSI were the tires when you went out on them? and what is the pressure when there hot?

we think this happens because the pressure sint hgh enough when you go out and it rolls the tire over.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally posted by kingleh
we have seen this happen before.

what PSI were the tires when you went out on them? and what is the pressure when there hot?

we think this happens because the pressure sint hgh enough when you go out and it rolls the tire over.

You have seen this with S04s?

I cant say for the others, but I was running 35-37 psi cold, 41-44 psi hot.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

This is the problem Hank had. It appears the tire is breaking belts internally and then it shows itself in this fashion. I would really spend time with Hoosier getting an understanding of the failure prior to using the new ones....
Old 04-29-2004, 02:57 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

check old posts. there are issues with so4's. they are chunking etc. and under recall by hoosier. this has been on rennlist and alfa romeo bulliten boards.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:03 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

oops....my bad. It was the new kumhos that had the problem on recall not the hoosiers. I had a brain fart.

Quick Reply: Tire cording Q