Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni strut setting for 951 w/250 lb. springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:42 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Koni strut setting for 951 w/250 lb. springs?

I bought a set of Koni Yellow struts for my 951, thinking that "adjustable" meant that they had a **** on the top of the shock. Unfortunately, "adjustable" only applies if you take the shock off of the car, which for all intents and purposes means that I'll be setting them once and then forgetting them.

That being the case, does anyone have any recommendations on how they should be set? Track performance is my only criteria; I'm not concerned about ride comfort. The car will be riding on 250 lb./in. springs in front and 28 mm torsion bars in back, both at roughly 1" lower than stock height, and R-compound rubber slightly wider than stock sizes (either 225F/245R or 245F/R).

I'm thinking to just set them to full stiff -- does anyone else have any more nuanced suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-01-2004, 10:01 AM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question.

I have been wondering the same thing except I'll be using 400# springs and 30mm t-bars. I have heard NOT to set them at full stiff because it will cause "jacking"??? Sorry I can't really help but from what I've heard, with those spring rates, full stiff may not be the way to go.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:09 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definetely dont just crank them to full stiff.
Are you sure the fronts need to be removed to be adjusted? All the newer koni adjustables for the front can be adjusted with it still installed in the car.

I would start at 25%-40% stiff and go from there.

It is a rebound adjustment only.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 400lb springs and 30mm bars as well. Ride height is 5" at the seams. I run mine at 50-60% with Kumho 225/50/15's and 2.75 neg. camber and the car rides like its on rails.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:16 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice, guys. Keep it coming.

Comments:

I ordered the struts from Pelican Parts, and they came in Porsche, not Koni boxes; I wonder if they're old stock. They're definitely only adjustable off the car. If other vendors sell more recent shocks that are adjustable on the car, maybe I should return these ones and order from another place. Any recommendations?

As for the "jacking" comment; I'd be surprised if off-the-shelf Konis are stiff enough to cause jacking with higher-than-stock spring rates. For the record: jacking is when the rebound damping is too stiff relative to the spring rate and compression damping, which prevents the shock from returning to its normal extension between bumps. This can reduce available suspension travel and even cause the shock to bottom out.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, driver/course differences aside, I believe they are stiff enough to jack down the front end on a 250lbs. spring. I run a 400 lbs. spring up front w/ OE front bar - 944S - and IIRC run it backed off from full stiff (don't know how much, its been a couple of years since I really played with them). Curious that the adjuster isn't accesible from the top - is it under the hat? Were they converted from something else?? Sounds odd but I am only familiar with those (the KONI Yellows) that I got from Paragon a few years ago. You may want to speak with Jason (Paragon) as I'd think he'd have more valving information on them.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:06 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I run 350lbs/front 30 mm tbars in back on my 944-spec car. My externally adjustable Koni's run about mid way. Full stiff in the rear, but mid way in front. I had them stiffer in front, but the car seemed to run better with them a little less stiff. A little (very little) less understeer.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:12 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run my Konis (350#, 28mm) at ~ 40-50% front, 40% rear.
I thnik they are fairly dialed in for most occasions.

Quick Reply: Koni strut setting for 951 w/250 lb. springs?