Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RL real world racer sim times and practice expectations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 02:51 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Limerock is a perfect track to practice / learn good habits. A fast lap there is had by being patient on the throttle, trail braking, using all of the track and being committed. You have to use all of those skills to get to the top of the timing sheets. It could be my favorite overall track on the service.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rob in VA:
Gary R. (01-08-2021), mlct (01-09-2021), ProCoach (01-08-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 09:17 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

New day, new problem. So, I finally got around to putting in the Brake Performance kit in my Fanatec V3 brake pedal. It made it much stiffer. So stiff that even if I stomped with all my might on the pedal I couldn't stop the car in a reasonable distance in turn 1 whilst learning Summit Raceway in the Mazda (I was learning that track because a) I think I might race there someday and b) the Global Mazda series is racing there in iRacing now). Anyways, I went back into the calibration and re-calibrated the brakes, but now I just have to tap them and the car comes to a screeching halt. I like this, but it's totally not realistic. There was a website for calculating FOV. Is there some formal way to get brake sensitivity set realistically? Or does it come down to my personal preference?

Thanks as always to any who take the time to answer.

Last edited by JP66; 01-09-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:00 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
New day, new problem. So, I finally got around to putting in the Brake Performance kit in my Fanatec V3 brake pedal. It made it much stiffer. So stiff that even if I stomped with all my might on the pedal I couldn't stop the car in a reasonable distance in turn 1 whilst learning Summit Raceway in the Mazda (I was learning that track because a) I think I might race there someday and b) the Global Mazda series is racing there in iRacing now). Anyways, I went back into the calibration and re-calibrated the brakes, but now I just have to tap them and the car comes to a screeching halt. I like this, but it's totally not realistic. There was a website for calculating FOV. Is there some formal way to get brake sensitivity set realistically? Or does it come down to my personal preference?

I can't speak to your exact set up but the way I went about this with my fanatec pedals was to compare my brake trace from the sim to my brake trace on my real world car for the same track and similar car/tires. I then attempted to adjust my load cell so that I achieved a similar trace for sim and real world car. This got me to a point where the sim was predictable and I had similar ability to modulate.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:09 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I can't speak to your exact set up but the way I went about this with my fanatec pedals was to compare my brake trace from the sim to my brake trace on my real world car for the same track and similar car/tires. I then attempted to adjust my load cell so that I achieved a similar trace for sim and real world car. This got me to a point where the sim was predictable and I had similar ability to modulate.
Thanks. That sounds like a great method of calibration. Once again it comes down to using AIM software on my sim which means I need to finally take the time this morning and reacquaint myself with AIM software and my old F car data. Thanks again

Last edited by JP66; 01-09-2021 at 10:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 02:09 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
^^THIS^^

Words to live by, if you want to go FAST...

This is my fav video of fast drivers that are committed. Look how the first two cars leave the feild behind. They are not afraid to drive it into the corner. And then KEEP DRIVING!
* just don't be the jerk at 6:30 in the yellow/black #1 taking out the red #32.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:59 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 01-09-2021, 04:08 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

install the Fanalab software and use it to tune the load cell in the brake pedal. Currently it’s set to 50%. I normally run then around 88%
ProCoach (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 11:07 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 832 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
https://youtu.be/l14d54j28PQ

This is my fav video of fast drivers that are committed. Look how the first two cars leave the feild behind. They are not afraid to drive it into the corner. And then KEEP DRIVING!
* just don't be the jerk at 6:30 in the yellow/black #1 taking out the red #32.
You can just see my car in few shots during this (Rubystone with a big yellow arrow on hood). 964 cups are tough to drive fast. The suspension is pretty poor and there a lot of bump steer under braking. The GT4 Clubsport is sooooo much easier. But it sure is fun to wheel the older cars.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:15 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

So, as many of the regulars know I recently set up a home sim, and I love it, but aside from the fun factor, the real reason I invested $6k was to get some sort of practice this winter so when I return to the track this spring after a 2 season hiatus I'm not going in cold. Based on excellent earlier recommendations I am trying numerous different cars and have really learned to see some aspects of driving I didn't see before. Now don't laugh - but - as an example - I'm talking about using throttle steering and understanding how some cars have significant under steer when compared to others. Both experiences were something I had before, but ones that I only now truly recognize and can point out and even to some extent control. I learned to recognize these characteristics by comparing a Mazda, a Skippy Car, a Cayman GT4, and a Ford Mustang. All have very different driving characteristics on the sim that I can see and feel, and that is amazing to me. From watching my replays I also learned that I have a terrible tendency to coast between braking and re-application of throttle so that's one thing I can work on for sure. But, here's my dilemma . . .

Just like I did in the real world when I was racing I'm finding I can't help but compare my lap times to the best. For example at Lime Rock iRacers turn 58 second laps with a Mazda and 53 second laps with a Cayman GT4. I run laps consistently (without crashing) at 1:01 in the Mazda and 57 seconds in the GT4. That's 3-4 seconds of the race pace on a 1 minute track. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my question below, but I'm looking for a little outside input as reassurance.

Question: Is that abnormally off the pace for a person starting out in the sim world? Are there any RL real world racers who have tried the Cayman GT4 at Lime Rock on the sim and can report their lap times? If so what were they?

Anyways - never fear I will continue to plug along and fully plan on hiring a coach next month to come give me an hour or so instruction and provide some structure to my sim practice, but for now I'm curious and it's the holidays so I'm home and hearing from the folks on RL is part of my enjoyment for sure.

Thanks to all who reply!

https://youtu.be/j9rT1kfBaWc
Look up my son Eon Simon on the PCA SIM discord, it's linked at PCA Sim racing site.
He started rookie in Challenge past season, won 6/8 races and walked the Cayman championship.
They bumped him 2 whole classes, just below pro.
He had never Sim raced before Covid.

He has a squad that practice together called "Q CUP" (for quarantine Cup).

Why don't you race a few of the same tracks AI and see how you lap times stack up vs the youtube videos of the 2020 season (series 5), race one was Lagun Seca.
Eon is #87, green/black/white car.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:17 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
You can just see my car in few shots during this (Rubystone with a big yellow arrow on hood). 964 cups are tough to drive fast. The suspension is pretty poor and there a lot of bump steer under braking. The GT4 Clubsport is sooooo much easier. But it sure is fun to wheel the older cars.

is that you driving? Or do you just own that car now?
I've raced a 964 and it's better than the previous 911s as to handling. But the car doesn't matter when you are all racing the same car. When everyone in same car the racing is closer. More fun.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:53 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Look up my son Eon Simon on the PCA SIM discord, it's linked at PCA Sim racing site.
He started rookie in Challenge past season, won 6/8 races and walked the Cayman championship.
They bumped him 2 whole classes, just below pro.
He had never Sim raced before Covid.

He has a squad that practice together called "Q CUP" (for quarantine Cup).

Why don't you race a few of the same tracks AI and see how you lap times stack up vs the youtube videos of the 2020 season (series 5), race one was Lagun Seca.

Eon is #87, green/black/white car.
Thank you very much for that link. I had read the name of PCA Sim in passing, but it never dawned on me they would actually have a separate series. Watching the starts I think that is exactly what I was hoping for, a much more realistic and mature start than you typically see in iRacing Rookie races. Thanks again for the link.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:55 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank you very much for that link. I had read the name of PCA Sim in passing, but it never dawned on me they would actually have a separate series. Watching the starts I think that is exactly what I was hoping for, a much more realistic and mature start than you typically see in iRacing Rookie races. Thanks again for the link.
No problem.
There's the wrath of scrutineers just like real racing in official PCA SIM.
Most of the offs are people stepping over their skill level.

If you can anywhere match the top 10 times at any of those tracks raced in 2020 (Series 5, round 1-xx) then you could probably participate in the upcoming season.
Early in the year, some fields were up to 45 participants.

I saw in your first post about the $$ setup, but, while it's good to have good components that you'll be familiar with as you progress, Eon practically dominated the season in Challenge class with what most would consider "bare bones"....I think he bought the setup used off a buddy for $1k.

You need to get active in the PCA SIM Discord channel, introduce yourself, ask some questions.
I believe Eon is running another Q Cup series for warm up for the season, maybe you could join up with that.
Note - you will find out sooner or later, these guys have spotters, a friend, usually a fellow racer from another series (pro, etc) that watches the race live and keeps the driver abreast of traffic, pit window, incidents up ahead, etc.
Eon was lucky enough to pair up with Josh Viera, who races in Pro class, thus, Eon was his spotter as well all season.

Anyway, good luck, I'll keep an eye out for you (I watch all 4 series), and if you make your way through that whole series, note the chatter from the announcers after the in race run down of the order during the season ender Daytona race, Pike does a nice little run down of Eon and how he started (father/son) racing in real life. As the father, it was well done and pretty touching (for me.. )

The SIM stuff translates from real life pretty well, Eon is a top tier 944 SP2 racer in real life.
Has 6-7 track records.
Patience, momentum.

To all else reading, these races are VERY WELL DONE, Pike and Burris do an exceptional job casting these races, I would say on the level of real life events broadcast on TV.
You are guaranteed to enjoy.

If you bump into him online, tell him his dad sent you...,

Last edited by 951and944S; 01-10-2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:45 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I did something similar but in a more analog fashion. After installing the stiffer Fanatec brake kit I measured on my real car the distance the brake pedal travels under hard braking, as we all know with race pads and a good bleed that it's not that far, if memory serves me 2" maybe. In addition to the various harder bumpers that come with the kit you can adjust the preload on them by turning the barrel collar that houses them, less preload will increase the available pedal throw, I adjusted this until the travel on the fanatec pedal was the same as the car under hard threshold braking. Then of course went in to the pedal settings to set the min/max and im really happy with the results; same amount of travel and similar amount of braking force needed to reach max braking. Of course the sim has different strengths built in to different types of cars but that's to be expected. I haven't messed with the Fanalab load cell settings yet but will check it out and see what 88% feels like. I installed the alternate brake and clutch pedals that are pictured in the You Tube video's preview still photo and adjusted them to all the same heights/positioning as my car.

I went a step further and even adjusted the gas pedal travel. I measured the throw on my car at the point on the pedal platform that is the same length/height as the fanatec metal gas pedal so the arc of travel would be at the same point, my car's pedal platform is longer then the fanatec. What I found out is the pedal travel on the fanatec is way deeper than the car. I installed the stiffer gas pedal spring and put a plastic tire valve cap in the seat where the spring rests and piston goes in to decrease the travel. Took a couple try's shaving down the cap until it decreased it the right amount to match the car, then again went in to the software settings and set the max at the pedals full throttle position.
ProCoach (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 02:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
I did something similar but in a more analog fashion. After installing the stiffer Fanatec brake kit I measured on my real car the distance the brake pedal travels under hard braking, as we all know with race pads and a good bleed that it's not that far, if memory serves me 2" maybe. In addition to the various harder bumpers that come with the kit you can adjust the preload on them by turning the barrel collar that houses them, less preload will increase the available pedal throw, I adjusted this until the travel on the fanatec pedal was the same as the car under hard threshold braking. Then of course went in to the pedal settings to set the min/max and im really happy with the results; same amount of travel and similar amount of braking force needed to reach max braking. Of course the sim has different strengths built in to different types of cars but that's to be expected. I haven't messed with the Fanalab load cell settings yet but will check it out and see what 88% feels like. I installed the alternate brake and clutch pedals that are pictured in the You Tube video's preview still photo and adjusted them to all the same heights/positioning as my car.

I went a step further and even adjusted the gas pedal travel. I measured the throw on my car at the point on the pedal platform that is the same length/height as the fanatec metal gas pedal so the arc of travel would be at the same point, my car's pedal platform is longer then the fanatec. What I found out is the pedal travel on the fanatec is way deeper than the car. I installed the stiffer gas pedal spring and put a plastic tire valve cap in the seat where the spring rests and piston goes in to decrease the travel. Took a couple try's shaving down the cap until it decreased it the right amount to match the car, then again went in to the software settings and set the max at the pedals full throttle position.

^^THIS^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-13-2021, 07:11 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Aaaaaa . . . and the angels sang! Holy amazing service . . .

Quick Reply: RL real world racer sim times and practice expectations.