Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RL real world racer sim times and practice expectations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 07:19 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Aaaaaa . . . and the angels sang! Holy amazing service . . .

Its a nice tool
Choose a corner based on biggest delta to their lap - work to mirror the data
Like real car data it doesnt lie - lots of great improvement opportunities
you can also switch all that the english if you arent a metric person
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

God, this parallels real-life SO MUCH! The damned “double-pump...”
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-14-2021, 09:55 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
God, this parallels real-life SO MUCH! The damned “double-pump...”
Of course you were right . . . It’s all in my feet!
ProCoach (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:07 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Wow, +0.8 plus from just the quality of the entry into the Toe.

Trying to “charge” the corner (roll too much speed too deep at entry), due to braking too hard, too soon and back on the power too soon, right at the cursor point, causes you to have to tap the brake again to get the car to turn and KILLS the momentum.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen this in real life. Sim is really going to help you, Joe.

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-14-2021 at 10:08 AM.
JP66 (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 01:23 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Wow, +0.8 plus from just the quality of the entry into the Toe.

Trying to “charge” the corner (roll too much speed too deep at entry), due to braking too hard, too soon and back on the power too soon, right at the cursor point, causes you to have to tap the brake again to get the car to turn and KILLS the momentum.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen this in real life. Sim is really going to help you, Joe.
Question for you Peter. Feel free to send a bill along with the answer 😀. I realize most folks are left foot braking. I feel learning to left foot brake would be adding one too many variables and for now I should simply focus on braking properly and at the right time with my right foot. What say you??
Old 01-14-2021, 01:40 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Question for you Peter. Feel free to send a bill along with the answer 😀. I realize most folks are left foot braking. I feel learning to left foot brake would be adding one too many variables and for now I should simply focus on braking properly and at the right time with my right foot. What say you??
Fastest guy I know on sim doesnt left foot brake btw (and hes faster than VRS laps)

Sure it helps, but thats last 3/10s to a VRS lap you are getting there with that skill

build the brake skill with right foot - build pressure quickly bleed it off to apex every single time period

Late hard braking doesnt work except for movies
Old 01-14-2021, 01:52 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Were you in the PCA eDE prelude last night at the Glen? I was there. Last night and the night before was my first time running with other cars. Total n00b. Nerve racking but most embarrassing was not knowing how to manage the iRacing controls. Fueling, quick repair, tire changes, pit lane limiter, how to change views to watch the track walk, etc...hell I sat staring at the screen for 25 min the first night waiting for someone to let me in when all I had to do was click a button.

But I had a blast and looking forward to doing it again. PCA SIM guys have been super helpful and patient!!
Old 01-14-2021, 02:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No bill, this time!

I would say "most folks" are not LFB, not even in the simulator. Folks raised in karts or those that do it on the street anyway are a higher percentage of LFB. Some of the fastest pros I've ever worked with are right foot brakers.

The QUALITY of the the execution is more important than WHICH foot you execute with.

Therefore, I would NOT recommend adding LFB to your repertoire until you demonstrate SERIOUS competency right foot braking.
JP66 (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 06:57 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bman
Were you in the PCA eDE prelude last night at the Glen? I was there. Last night and the night before was my first time running with other cars. Total n00b. Nerve racking but most embarrassing was not knowing how to manage the iRacing controls. Fueling, quick repair, tire changes, pit lane limiter, how to change views to watch the track walk, etc...hell I sat staring at the screen for 25 min the first night waiting for someone to let me in when all I had to do was click a button.

But I had a blast and looking forward to doing it again. PCA SIM guys have been super helpful and patient!!
Yeah, I just joined the other day and haven't gotten the nerve up yet to join an eDE. Was thinking I'd do a one on one with someone first now that I know I need to learn things like tire change and quick repair I'll definitely be asking around for a private tour first. Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:05 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Left foot brake is the way to go. Ive been doing it all my life when possible and now with DSG or PDK 100% of the time. It just allows for a different dimension of driving skills. Thats why I feel manual clutches are well dated and obsolete for real racing. No better place to start to learn LFB than the Racing SIM

Old 01-14-2021, 11:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cgomez
Left foot brake is the way to go. Ive been doing it all my life when possible and now with DSG or PDK 100% of the time. It just allows for a different dimension of driving skills. Thats why I feel manual clutches are well dated and obsolete for real racing. No better place to start to learn LFB than the Racing SIM
Agree with sim being the best practice for it.

But, you are one of the best in execution, anyway.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:09 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Try as hard as I can and after several hours of practice; I can't seem to get that smooth trail brake so I'm wondering . . .

1) Can anyone here on RL produce a smooth trail brake trace like shown here by the pro on T7?
2) Would a stiffer or softer pedal help?
3) Is there any practice technique people use to learn to smoothly release the brake?

Old 01-17-2021, 06:43 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Ya most folks anywhere near the front to be honest - it's a lot easier than real life no Gs and heat

Here's the downhill right hander into Nurburgring GP

Huekseveld mid range pedals with grip tape on it

Endless practice fast on slow off fast on slow off
Almost imagine feeling the nose lift as you release the brake smoothhh
Attached Images  

Last edited by audipwr1; 01-17-2021 at 06:44 PM.
ProCoach (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 05:32 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Try as hard as I can and after several hours of practice; I can't seem to get that smooth trail brake so I'm wondering . . .

1) Can anyone here on RL produce a smooth trail brake trace like shown here by the pro on T7?
2) Would a stiffer or softer pedal help?
3) Is there any practice technique people use to learn to smoothly release the brake?

That's a lap of Mugello in the McLaren 650s GT3 in AC on medium tires. The red line is brake position. Different corners need different type of braking application. What works for T1 clearly isn't what's ideal for Casanova or the last turn. Trail braking is just a tool. The end goal is what you're trying to get the car to do.

Here's a zoom in of Casanova where I want the front pinned down longer but I don't need full pressure as the downhill is loading up the front a lot already and I need to roll as much speed as I can. I do another small touch to tuck the front into the following left turn to keep it tight which as you can see by the green line right above lets me be more aggressive with the throttle:

One of the things I always look at is how my steering angle corresponds to my braking. You can then correlate that with tire slip to see if you're overdriving during the entry phase which is very easy to do. It's pretty common to hear drivers feel like they're hauling *** into the corner and going as hard as they could but when you look at the data, they're often just overwhelming the front grip and the losing a lot of time.

Last edited by RobertR1; 01-18-2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:14 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, I just joined the other day and haven't gotten the nerve up yet to join an eDE. Was thinking I'd do a one on one with someone first now that I know I need to learn things like tire change and quick repair I'll definitely be asking around for a private tour first. Thanks for the heads up!!
Don't wait to join a eDE!! They will be happy to answer any questions you have no matter how basic. There are a lot of folks new to sim racing who join those events, so come and have fun!!

Quick Reply: RL real world racer sim times and practice expectations.