Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RL real world racer sim times and practice expectations.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 08:01 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mlct
Carlos,

For iRacing
As mentioned VRS is a popular source for setups etc.
https://virtualracingschool.com/
others are
https://apexracingac.com/ ... no telemetry just setups etc.
https://puredrivingschool.com/
https://craigsetupshop.co.uk/

The data is usually Motec files so you need to install their software
https://www.motec.com.au/home
Here is an article on using Motec data from iRacing converted with the MU plug in.

If you are using AIM then you can use their addon to gather iRacing data.
https://www.aim-sportline.com/simracing/index.htm
Their utility, part of Race Studio 3, can also extract rFactor 2 telemetry. One note, the manual conversion worked fine for me but I had trouble with their automatic feature when trying it with rFactor 2. That bug may have been fixed but I have not tried it in awhile.

I have not tried getting Motec data out of rFactor 2 yet. As an aside, too like/prefer rFactor 2 physics but they don't have a Cayman so I use iRacing for the Clubsport and I have lots of real world Cayman AIM data to review.

I found this on rFactor 2 Motec data
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.p...r-rf2.49363%2F
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSQKE4w9IPc

Z1 is a product set to look at as well as their custom dashboards and telemetry work in rFactor 2, iRacing, and other sims
https://www.z1simwheel.com/analyzer/index.cfm

I have not looked for any rFactor 2 setups, replays, and telemetry sources but I expect they are available.

Good luck,

Mark
https://www.z1simwheel.com/dashboard/index.cfm
Thanks Mark! great info!

Can one get the data from your competitors or the AI ones?
Old 01-05-2021, 09:49 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't think you can get AI or competitor data but don't know for sure. The data I have is from hot laps by Sim Pros that come along with the setups I have purchased. VRS is setup so teams can share telemetry. Their data is stored on their servers but I expect it is not possible to access someone else's data without their permission.

This product - iSpeed
https://www.nessoft.com/ispeed/
can extract some telemetry from replay files but I suspect it is only for the driver's car. Don't know for sure as I have not tried it myself.

I have used Compare My Laps to compare Sim and real world videos people post.
https://comparemylaps.com/
If the videos have speed, brake and throttle info you can get a rough idea of differences between drivers or sessions.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:49 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I have been using craigs setups the past two seasons, they are pretty good plus he has a discord channel where all of the users congregate and help each other.
The following users liked this post:
mlct (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 09:51 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Is there a way to get telemetry and analyze other than just comparing sector times with AI or real players? or watching them drive from the cockpit in replay?
https://www.nessoft.com/ispeed/
mlct (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 09:53 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
I have been using craigs setups the past two seasons, they are pretty good plus he has a discord channel where all of the users congregate and help each other.
Yes, I have tried them too and like that they include the Motec telemetry file from their Pro hot laps.

Discord has lots of great stuff for Sim racing. Something new to me but seems very active.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:53 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Thanks Peter! I realized after taking the video it wasn't the best example of what I'm talking about, and I am keenly aware of throttle position being critical especially when I go from practice with the Mazda to practice with the Cayman GT4, but desired position and reality don't always match, LOL. I guess that's what practice is for I also know I need to spend some time and learn how to get AIM data on the sim practice as well. Just haven't had the time yet.

I am fully aware I am one who needs to work a little harder than most RLers to achieve the basics, and my reason for posting my lap was precisely what you mention. I do not wish to enforce bad habits, but since it may be a while before I meet with a coach, I am very open to suggestions on basics upon which I should work.

So . . . any advice you or other RL folk felt willing to offer is immensely appreciated.
The last corner is a good example but you're doing this throughout the lap. You're using wheel lock to scrub speed thinking you're not gonna make it. You charge the corner full throttle and keep it pinned. At the apex you realize it's not going to work you keep adding steering lock and then adjust the throttle with it.

This will get you in a lot of trouble at pace in faster cars in sim and irl as the car will shift weight, unload, catch and snap. That last turn would have been much faster had you lifted lightly before the apex, tucked the front in and then go WOT uphill while unwinding the wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by RobertR1:
mlct (01-06-2021), ProCoach (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 10:44 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
The last corner is a good example but you're doing this throughout the lap. You're using wheel lock to scrub speed thinking you're not gonna make it. You charge the corner full throttle and keep it pinned. At the apex you realize it's not going to work you keep adding steering lock and then adjust the throttle with it.

This will get you in a lot of trouble at pace in faster cars in sim and irl as the car will shift weight, unload, catch and snap. That last turn would have been much faster had you lifted lightly before the apex, tucked the front in and then go WOT uphill while unwinding the wheel.
I watched "alien" laps and could see that their steering inputs were much less than mine but I thought perhaps there was some translation difference in setup but now I realize it's me for sure so I have something firm to work on. Thank you!

Also, I should say that IRL I never used dramatic steering input like that, and I only started trying it in the sim world because I found it let me take a corner much faster than before, but clearly that is an example of a bad habit I was picking up.

Last edited by JP66; 01-06-2021 at 10:46 AM.
mlct (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

I can this within a few tenths every time, but it feels really wrong because I just feel like I'm on the edge the whole time. Look at the curb I take on the Uphill. Is that normal?
Paging Clarke...
ProCoach (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Clarke is one of the most naturally talented drivers I've ever seen. Put him in a well-prepped car and he would be unbeatable, in any of the top flight pro series... But, he relishes that underdog challenge...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-06-2021, 09:21 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Paging Clarke...
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Clarke is one of the most naturally talented drivers I've ever seen. Put him in a well-prepped car and he would be unbeatable, in any of the top flight pro series... But, he relishes that underdog challenge...
All right who is this Clarke and how do I find him????

I've been working all day trying to run the Skippy car at Watkins Glen without the sound of tire slip. I got down to 2:14 regular laps, but that's still many seconds out. I NEED help here guys
Old 01-06-2021, 09:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

All right who is this Clarke and how do I find him????

I've been working all day trying to run the Skippy car at Watkins Glen without the sound of tire slip. I got down to 2:14 regular laps, but that's still many seconds out. I NEED help here guys
Clarke Simpson is a legend, in both E and big cars. His girlfriend is very hot. And a very good driver, too. @GT3DE is his RL tag.

He splits his time between DC and Florida, I believe, and doesn't put a lot of stock in anything but his exceptionally well calibrated "butt gyro." It works for him, for sure!

Joe, If you export your .ibt from that lap and send it to Jonathan, I will help him show you where the time is.

But, I GUARANTEE you that it's mostly in the longitudinal axis. In your feet...

Last edited by ProCoach; 01-07-2021 at 11:58 AM. Reason: brain fart...
Old 01-06-2021, 10:33 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Peter, thanks for your kind words.
Hmmm, haven't spent any time on, nor do I own, a sim. Tried a few times at friends places but extricated myself before i threw their machines across the room. Lol
I know nothing about sim racing. And I suck at it.
In the real world I don't use data. Only have an old gopro because rules require it. Sometimes I even watch the video if something funny happened or there was very close racing...
Track limits? Ha! Curbs? Of course. Grass? Yes.
Shorter track is faster lap.
Here is a short funny video from a few years ago racing against Evan at VIR in E class PCA (old junker 911 from late 70s and early 80s).
Happy to give free advice anytime. You usually get what you pay for.
Curbs, grass, dirt, it's all good (but not good for the car).
To go faster is just bending your mind into believing the car will make it and then just not slowing down for turns.
How I learned was by following a faster car/driver right on his bumper - seeing is believing.
Fastest I ever went was at night at Sebring. I couldn't see anything so didn't know when to slow down. And couldn't see the walls so wasn't worried about them.
If you are scared, its ok. But if you are worried, you'll never go fast enough.
That BS they taught you at DE about smooth inputs? That was just so you wouldn't kill the instructor. There is nothing smooth about driving fast. Fast is violent.
Clarke Simpson (not Lincoln)

Last edited by GT3DE; 01-06-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:44 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

If you go through a turn thinking you nailed it, you did it perfect and it felt really good - well, you are wrong. You were too slow.
If you went through a turn wondering if you were going to make it and then you barely did make it? Now you are on the right track. Do that again next time and get used to how the car feels slipping, barely staying on track and not wreaking. See if you can do that all the time, turn after turn, lap after lap, track after track...
ProCoach (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 11:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GT3DE
If you go through a turn thinking you nailed it, you did it perfect and it felt really good - well, you are wrong. You were too slow.

If you went through a turn wondering if you were going to make it and then you barely did make it? Now you are on the right track.

Do that again next time and get used to how the car feels slipping, barely staying on track and not wrecking.

See if you can do that all the time, turn after turn, lap after lap, track after track...
^^THIS^^

Words to live by, if you want to go FAST...
mlct (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 03:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GT3DE
To go faster is just bending your mind into believing the car will make it and then just not slowing down for turns.

If you are scared, it's ok.

But if you are worried, you'll never go fast enough.
Beautiful. Wonderful way to say it.

In the last couple decades, I've watched tens of thousands of drivers trackside at thousands of events.

It is instantly clear who is going fast, and who is just riding around.

So MANY drivers THINK they're doing something different and then are disappointed when they discover they weren't going any quicker.
Gary R. (01-08-2021)

Quick Reply: RL real world racer sim times and practice expectations.