Like riding a bike .....
This.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:43 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Like riding a bike .....
But, having said that, I feel it depends on the experience level. I took 2 years off and it took me a day to get back into the grove. I only do DE.
I've had students with a couple years experience and they needed to be retrained after lunch!
Old 11-26-2020, 06:48 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I've taken several 2-3 years hiatuses over the years. When I returned, I just make sure my head is in the right place, and take it down a few notches for the first few sessions. It hasn't been a big deal at all.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:42 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

I want to start by emphasizing 2 points I will make again below. 1) My head is in a different and better place than it was 2 years ago, and 2) all I want now is to build experience in as many races as I can as I have zero interest now in being competitive. I just want experience.

So . . .

. . . having sold my 2 cars I'm in the market for a new car. I kinda assumed I'd go SPB and patiently await the right car in the NE, but I found this online (something I would never have considered possible before):

GTB1 Car

It's complete, tested, tried, built by SST whom I trust completely, and most importantly in my price range. I fully know that WHEN I ultimately try to race I would be at the back of the pack, but I don't think I'd be a speed bump, and I can guarantee that my head is in a better place now than it was 2 years ago so learning to take it slower and build experience is my number one priority now. GTB1 would most definitely not be my first choice, but this just seems like too good a deal to pass up. Someone tell me this is a stupid idea or not because I know I have a strong bias. Trouble seems to be that there are several GTB1 cars on the market, but not much else, and in terms of active large run groups there really are only 2 choices, SPB or GTB1. I have zero interest in being competitive so I'm not intending to join the "arms race" in this category and will be happy to run the car as is, but are there other factors that would make this car way more expensive even if I don't want to be at the "pointy end of the grid"? Would I be an annoyance to the other racers? I also consider that in F class I was already on the track with these cars at LRP and NJMP so it's not like I haven't raced wheel to wheel with GTB1s around.

Anyways, I await the collective wisdom to tell me if this is ridiculous or not, and whether I should should just go back to looking at SPBs.

Last edited by JP66; 11-27-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

DO it!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-27-2020, 07:58 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
I want to start by emphasizing 2 points I will make again below. 1) My head is in a different and better place than it was 2 years ago, and 2) all I want now is to build experience in as many races as I can as I have zero interest now in being competitive. I just want experience.

So . . .

. . . having sold my 2 cars I'm in the market for a new car. I kinda assumed I'd go SPB and patiently await the right car in the NE, but I found this online (something I would never have considered possible before):

GTB1 Car

It's complete, tested, tried, built by SST whom I trust completely, and most importantly in my price range. I fully know that WHEN I ultimately try to race I would be at the back of the pack, but I don't think I'd be a speed bump, and I can guarantee that my head is in a better place now than it was 2 years ago so learning to take it slower and build experience is my number one priority now. GTB1 would most definitely not be my first choice, but this just seems like too good a deal to pass up. Someone tell me this is a stupid idea or not because I know I have a strong bias. Trouble seems to be that there are several GTB1 cars on the market, but not much else, and in terms of active large run groups there really are only 2 choices, SPB or GTB1. I have zero interest in being competitive so I'm not intending to join the "arms race" in this category and will be happy to run the car as is, but are there other factors that would make this car way more expensive even if I don't want to be at the "pointy end of the grid"? Would I be an annoyance to the other racers? I also consider that in F class I was already on the track with these cars at LRP and NJMP so it's not like I haven't raced wheel to wheel with GTB1s around.

Anyways, I await the collective wisdom to tell me if this is ridiculous or not, and whether I should should just go back to looking at SPBs.
Look at adding some Time Trial events to your schedule. NASA NE has a great program and is local to you. Low stress environment to really focus on building speed without having to think about passing (in most cases).
Old 11-27-2020, 09:03 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 542 Posts

I Someone tell me this is a stupid idea or not because I know I have a strong bias.
Joe, sorry but this is a totally stupid idea. This is a totally untested and uncompetitive car in the most expensive PCA race class out there. Starting out in GTB1, where you are often gridded with the Cups is also not a good place to start if you just want to have fun. Instead of buying your SPB, there are also other places to start if you just want to have fun in racing. For example, once you build up your DE experience again try American Endurance Racing where you can rent a seat in some really good cars (also Porsches) and see how you do before you plunge back into it head first and buy your own.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:28 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Joe, sorry but this is a totally stupid idea. This is a totally untested and uncompetitive car in the most expensive PCA race class out there. Starting out in GTB1, where you are often gridded with the Cups is also not a good place to start if you just want to have fun. Instead of buying your SPB, there are also other places to start if you just want to have fun in racing. For example, once you build up your DE experience again try American Endurance Racing where you can rent a seat in some really good cars (also Porsches) and see how you do before you plunge back into it head first and buy your own.
Frank,
You have more experience on track today than anyone else here so your opinion holds BY FAR the biggest value to me, but let me ask a couple pointed questions:
1) You say "gridded with Cup Cars", but what about the point that in F class I was already gridded with much faster cars?
2) I totally agree this car will not be competitive, but it is most definitely "tested" having been built by SST, but the point is building experience. My preferred car was a Cayman R and this is the closest of the cars I have tried versus the 944 and Boxster S. Is this not closest to my experience?
3) I need a DE car what would you then recommend I try to buy?

I am not disagreeing with you. I am honestly asking for more clarification as to why you think what you do. The primary point is building experience AND buying something that is available today. The bottom line to me is you are saying wait because a better option for building experience will come and assuming for a second that I am stuck on the desire to buy a Porsche and race with PCA and only PCA then what should I look for? If I was on the grid with you would you be grimacing?

Last edited by JP66; 11-27-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:37 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

So . . .

GTB1 Car

That car is not a good choice for GTB1. Both Frank and I have driven Gen1 Caymans in GTB1 and it is hard. I got a podium at LRP and one at Summit point while doing it but those were hard races.

If you want to race GTB1 my Gen2 Cayman is coming up for sale this coming week. It has everything and was built and maintained by SST. The car is simply awesome.

As much as I would love to sell you my car GTB1 is ALL ABOUT THE ARMS RACE. If you don't want to buy at least two sets of tires a weekend than it is not the class for you unless you just want to cruise around as if it is a DE. There are tons of other classes like SPC, G and H were you can still have fun with a Gen1 Cayman.

Also, as Frank stated, GTB1 most often grids with those loathsome Cup cars. You really have to have your eyes screwed to the back of your head because those Cups appear out of nowhere.

If you want to have fun and cruise around go back to SPB or try SPC, G or H. I loved every minute of GTB1, and gained a lot of experience, but it is at the pointy end of the PCA CR classes.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

While I agree the Gen1 car will not win any class Championships, it is a car Joe is familiar with, and it fits his stated desires.

Both Frank and Todd are comparing this car to builds in excess of three times the cost. It'll keep him busy for the re-entry, safely.

I know very well about the arms race. Got to watch it accelerate over many years.

Joe, enjoy and don't sweat it. Buy a car you're comfortable and that you like. That will give it good value. My .02
Old 11-28-2020, 10:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

I guess i dont understand why you want to go racing if you have zero desire to be competitive. I dont think ive met any track drivers that are cool being a back marker. Seems like an open passing de event would serve the same purpose.

Thats a nice price for the cayman but thats probably not going to be a great gtb1 car, but again if you dont care about competitiveness then why not.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:11 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 992 Likes on 595 Posts

I would head Frank and Luigi's advice. They have been there, done that and have no interest other than helping you.

I'd also add "Good beekeepers have to figure some things out for themselves."
Old 11-28-2020, 11:23 AM
will968
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

That car looks like good value for what you want to do. It will be WAY more fun than a Spec Boxster - I agree with Peter's take on this. Get a fresh start and use those LRDC resources.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (11-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Advice for a post hiatus return.