Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a post hiatus return.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 10:10 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Advice for a post hiatus return.

Having failed to listen or even truly garner advice my first time around when I started out in DE's, I now realize the wealth of the collective knowledge here on RL is an invaluable yet free resource I should not ignore. So, I'm curious what advice folks have for me this time around.

Here's the issue:

Two years ago, I had to stop racing and sell my cars because of personal financial issues. Today, happily, I can see an end to my plight, and I foresee, rejoining the world of DE's and or racing in the summer or fall of '21. I haven't done anything track wise for two years, and I'm uncertain how to "get back in the saddle" as it were. Do I attend Autocross events? Go back to Skippy school? Show up at DE's? I am fortunate that I'm still a member of the Lime Rock Driver's Club so I have access to the amazing instructor, Simon K. whom, of course, I plan on leaning on heavily, but I'm curious what the collective wisdom of RL have to suggest. My goal is to return to racing at some point, and I'm not even sure what the rules say about that. I don't know if I should target Fall of '21 or take it slow and target Spring '22. A lot certainly will depend on how I do when I return, but I do enjoy setting goals and trying to reach them. Of course, I also need to decide what group to come back in with. I left as an F class guy and really enjoyed that car, but I'm totally open to thoughts on the class as well. Happily I see most of the same old familiar names are still active here on RL.

I also feel I would be remiss, if I don't say how deeply saddened I am to be returning without the support of Spencer ***. I still get teary-eyed every time I think of his passing. If not for Spencer and Simon, I would never have gotten as far as I did as fast as I did, and I sorely miss his presence.

Anyways, thanks to any and all who take the time to offer their thoughts!

Joe
The following 3 users liked this post by JP66:
mlct (11-25-2020), ProCoach (11-24-2020), Veloce Raptor (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 10:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Fantastic news, Joe!

Lean on Simon. Take his counsel.

But, life is short. Don't dally... Every day, every session on track, is precious.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Mikelly (11-29-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 10:39 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

Its a skill like golf or tennis. If you took a break from tennis for 2 years, would you need to go to tennis school / coaching before re-joining the local leagues? Maybe..I think only you can answer that.

After instructing and racing for close to a decade, I did zero track events for 5 years until I got my GT2 last year and just had to take it to the local DE to see what it would do. It was a bit of a challenge to keep pace with the group at first being so rusty, in a new to me car and track configuration, but in the end, it was all good. Ill bet you can jump right back in, depending on your confidence to do so.

I say consider doing something like that, see how it goes, then research what you need to get your license renewed.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:52 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

Subscribed. I've done very little in '20 and expect to miss most of the '21 season. I'm looking into getting a sim setup (finally) and maybe some autox. My SCCA license will lapse in early 21 and I plan to just retake Comp school.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
But, life is short. Don't dally... Every day, every session on track, is precious.
This!

I may regret my bank account balance on certain days, but I never regret my time spent at the track.

As Peter said, lean on Simon next spring, but driving is like an old shoe and you should feel comfortable again in no time! Sadly, Spencer can only help you from above - today is the one year anniversary of his death. Some of his home spun wisdom - wiggle your fingers on the straights, drive in the rain, and don't be a *****!
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Maxant13 (11-24-2020), Mikelly (11-29-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Ended up with an unexpected 2 season hiatus due to unforseen life events.....deaths in the family, helping to move several houses (including ours twice). When I came back, I actually returned for a race weekend. In some ways I may have felt better because I had spent MANY hours daydreaming about being on the track....visualizing. A day of practice, then onto the race weekend. Also, thanks to a buddy who let me take out my frustrations on his sim. Hit a refresher with your instructor, the rest you'll know yourself. Do what you feel ready for. And, you'll love it that little bit more
ProCoach (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 12:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Welcome back, Joe!!!!
Old 11-24-2020, 12:55 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

There is a big difference between DEs and racing. If DEs, easing back into it is pretty easy. If racing, your licensing body will dictate what happens after your hiatus. Some licensing bodies are giving folks a pass for 2020, because of covid. Some others require an abbreviated re-licensure course after a hiatus. Others, such as FIA, won't cut you any slack.

Last edited by raspritz; 11-24-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:26 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 542 Posts

Welcome back Joe!!! Ease into it and start with DE.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:24 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This!

I may regret my bank account balance on certain days, but I never regret my time spent at the track.

As Peter said, lean on Simon next spring, but driving is like an old shoe and you should feel comfortable again in no time! Sadly, Spencer can only help you from above - today is the one year anniversary of his death. Some of his home spun wisdom - wiggle your fingers on the straights, drive in the rain, and don't be a *****!
Might be the best post you've made in a long time....Kudos
LuigiVampa (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 04:24 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

I took a 9 year break after club racing for several years. Just got back into DEs this year. what I did:
moved myself down from white to yellow group
started in a low hp 99 Boxster on street tires
made a conscious effort to see every flag station every single lap
warmed up for a few laps, and the comfort level gradually increased back to normal by the end of the first weekend

good luck!
Veloce Raptor (11-24-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 11:43 AM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

This is surprisingly easy:

1. Sign up for an HPDE at a track you've never been in the top run group.
2. Drive around with one hand on the wheel and give no point bys all day
3. Blame your tires on your constant spins and slow lap times.
4. Profit!

Everyone in the TX FB group knows what I am talking about
Veloce Raptor (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 12:22 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell

4. Profit!

Do you have to drive a 350z?
Old 11-25-2020, 12:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Do you have to drive a 350z?

Haha or Mustang
Old 11-25-2020, 02:15 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Fantastic news, Joe!

Lean on Simon. Take his counsel.

Thanks Peter! You can bet I will be relying heavily on Simon, but looking forward to employing your skills again someday.

What are your thoughts on hitting the newly revamped Skippy school at COTA over the winter since not much happening at Lime Rock between now and April?

Originally Posted by mchrono
Its a skill like golf or tennis. If you took a break from tennis for 2 years, would you need to go to tennis school / coaching before re-joining the local leagues? Maybe..I think only you can answer that.

After instructing and racing for close to a decade, I did zero track events for 5 years until I got my GT2 last year and just had to take it to the local DE to see what it would do. It was a bit of a challenge to keep pace with the group at first being so rusty, in a new to me car and track configuration, but in the end, it was all good. Ill bet you can jump right back in, depending on your confidence to do so.

I say consider doing something like that, see how it goes, then research what you need to get your license renewed.
I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head in that a lot will depend on me and how I do.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This!

Haha . . . so true. Really, really missed the SST-race trailer time. Definitely one of my favorite parts of racing and can't wait for the day when I can rejoin.

Originally Posted by Bull_D
Ended up with an unexpected 2 season hiatus due to unforseen life events.....deaths in the family, helping to move several houses (including ours twice). When I came back, I actually returned for a race weekend. In some ways I may have felt better because I had spent MANY hours daydreaming about being on the track....visualizing. A day of practice, then onto the race weekend. Also, thanks to a buddy who let me take out my frustrations on his sim. Hit a refresher with your instructor, the rest you'll know yourself. Do what you feel ready for. And, you'll love it that little bit more
Definitely "day dreaming" as well. Honestly, it's most all I think about now.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Welcome back, Joe!!!!
Thanks, Dave. - I'm actually considering heading south this winter to hit a school while the Northeast is in it's off season. Know any good instructors down south

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Welcome back Joe!!! Ease into it and start with DE.
Thanks Frank! I've been watching your videos on YouTube at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock over and over and over. It's really been inspirational.

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
I took a 9 year break after club racing for several years. Just got back into DEs this year. what I did:
moved myself down from white to yellow group
started in a low hp 99 Boxster on street tires
made a conscious effort to see every flag station every single lap
warmed up for a few laps, and the comfort level gradually increased back to normal by the end of the first weekend

good luck!
I'm in total agreement. I think I'm the "take it slow" type for sure. Probably my first DE will be in my wife's Boxster on street tires as well.

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell

4. Profit!

Is there video?? That sounds too funny/horrible

Quick Reply: Advice for a post hiatus return.