Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...oadcourse.html
Old 09-29-2020, 04:15 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd love to see the economics behind their decision. I'm sure the vast majority of the revenue comes from Indy and NASCAR, but I find it hard to believe that with what I heard they were charging for other events, whether it be DE, PCA/POC, or anything else, that the revenue stream from this was insubstantial.

Anyone know anything about race track operations?
Old 09-29-2020, 05:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
I'd love to see the economics behind their decision. I'm sure the vast majority of the revenue comes from Indy and NASCAR, but I find it hard to believe that with what I heard they were charging for other events, whether it be DE, PCA/POC, or anything else, that the revenue stream from this was insubstantial.

Anyone know anything about race track operations?
Back in the day, I had always heard (pretty reliably) that each NASCAR event at NHMS produced about $15 million in profit (not revenue). The track day rentals produced something like $2.5 million in revenue. That was a long time ago, but I expect the general idea is still correct. The club rentals were not that important in the scheme of things.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Back in the day, I had always heard (pretty reliably) that each NASCAR event at NHMS produced about $15 million in profit (not revenue). The track day rentals produced something like $2.5 million in revenue. That was a long time ago, but I expect the general idea is still correct. The club rentals were not that important in the scheme of things.
The latter sounds high for annual club rentals, especially considering the short season. The NASCAR number was for two events, the club stuff for a year. So yes.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The latter sounds high for annual club rentals, especially considering the short season. The NASCAR number was for two events, the club stuff for a year. So yes.
150 to 180 operating days at ~$15k. If you have better data, feel free to share.

The rental market in the Northeast has changed dramatically with the new tracks. I would expect the numbers to be very different now some of the seats removed, less events, etc.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

In addition to the Roval, Auto Club has many other events that go simultaneously on property. Those include the NASCAR experience, karting track outside the Roval that has hosts Los Angeles Karting Club, Tri-C Karting club and the in-house arrive and drive karting series and enduros. They also have a drag strip, Exotic car experience where you can rent high end sports cars for laps on their closed course outside the Roval, Autocross venue that was rented out to BMWCCA, SCCA and others. PCA hosted their annual California Festival of Speed, the largest gathering of Porsche's and racing on the west coast and many other programs.

The land Auto Club sits on was original purchased by Penske in 1994 from a no longer operational steel mill. Now with over a quarter century having passed, the area has grown all around it and I imagine the land it which it sits is incredibly valuable for development.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:20 PM
SkeerRacing
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Feels like watching a home burn down in-front of me.
Incredible amount of memories from the kart track to the roval.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:07 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The economics is the demand for large parcels of land for warehouses in the local market. The larger the plot, the larger the square foot price. I know people offered over $ 1m per acre for bare land. ACS sits on 568 acres.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:28 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

ACS will host a Cal Club SCCA major in January- looks like the last one! Very sad, OMS all over again.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:29 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
ACS will host a Cal Club SCCA major in January- looks like the last one! Very sad, OMS all over again.
And november 14th weekend as the pacific coast road race championship. This event is open to most every race license and most cars can be classes from other organizations. It is the 1 time a year CalClub is more open to intentionally host those outside SCCA. It is a good fun event. The Majors are more serious where many are accumulating points to go to Runoffs.

Quick Reply: Fontana ROVAL is gone