Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring: Pit lane on backstretch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 06:05 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Sebring: Pit lane on backstretch?

Watching the MPC race just now... anyone know why the pit lane was moved back there? looks like entrance is just before the 14-15 sequence. is it permanent?

Looks like an awkward entrance and not much of a blend coming out.

lightning everywhere...
Old 07-17-2020, 07:22 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

IMSA is trying to keep the teams from the Michelin and Weathertech series separated due to, well, you know.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:05 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Added this pit on the back straight for the WEC race last year. Looks like they are using it to keep the social distancing going.

Also heard that the fans they are letting in are being restricted to certain areas of the track and are not permitted to go to other areas. From what I heard RV's were allowed today and tomorrow and the RV's are being sent to either Hendricks Field or Green Park and then the spectators are restricted to that area and not allowed to go to the other parts of the track. Spectators in cars will only be allowed in the midway area, cars to be parked 10 feet apart, and spectators can not go to other parts of the track.

Sure hope things get better and opened up by November for the postponed 12 Hours.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:12 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 667 Likes on 322 Posts

I live in Sebring but chose not to go to event live based on restrictions, this damn virus takes the fun out of a lot of traditional activities
Rich
The following users liked this post:
txhokie4life (07-26-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 07:42 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 72 Posts

As stated before, it was due to social distancing. It wasnt too bad to get used to. It was very tight though. We barely had room to get the car in if we had a car in front or behind. Merging wasn't a problem. Was kind of cool being back there. Something different for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 11:35 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by uscarrera
I live in Sebring but chose not to go to event live based on restrictions, this damn virus takes the fun out of a lot of traditional activities
Rich
I don't blame you. I having second thoughts about going to Road America in two weeks as I suspect a lot of the cool things fans can do will not be allowed.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

We had less cars on the grid then usual but it was still super tight.
During quali i forgot that it was moved and had to do another lap around the track to get home.

During the race it was red flagged for lightning and some of the leaders passed by the pit in entrance and had to do another lap around.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,106 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Makes us all wish our only problem was Sebring charging a toll to cross the bridge.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:21 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Makes us all wish our only problem was Sebring charging a toll to cross the bridge.
At least for now NASA in June and Chin in July they did not collect any toll for my open trailer.

Peter
Old 07-19-2020, 09:17 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
I don't blame you. I having second thoughts about going to Road America in two weeks as I suspect a lot of the cool things fans can do will not be allowed.
Road America is in Wisconsin... your not in Cali. It’s a bit more laid back. Take a look at the recent Indy race. The track website also has lots of details.

We have been doing HPDEs there since early May.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:39 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phefner
Road America is in Wisconsin... your not in Cali. It’s a bit more laid back. Take a look at the recent Indy race. The track website also has lots of details.

We have been doing HPDEs there since early May.
I'm aware, I drove there over July 4th weekend.

The restrictions wouldn't come from the facility or the state but from IMSA. RA's website says only essential personnel will have access to the garages so I'm presuming fans won't be able to walk through the upper paddock looking at cars. I'm not expecting meet and greets with the teams and even pre-race grid walk could be restricted. I'm going to call the track today to see if they have more information to share.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:52 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Good point @krell . Wife will be disappointed as she likes the open access and up close experiences around the garages. For this year, we'll take some limited access if it protects everyone and ensures we get a race weekend. Would be a mistake for it to become a policy after Covid is over.

Be safe.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:32 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phefner
Good point @krell . Wife will be disappointed as she likes the open access and up close experiences around the garages. For this year, we'll take some limited access if it protects everyone and ensures we get a race weekend. Would be a mistake for it to become a policy after Covid is over.

Be safe.
I just talked to someone at RA and was told IMSA is going to tell them what restrictions are in place a week before the event. Kinda sucks since ticket pricing goes up this Wednesday. She did confirm fans won't be allowed in the upper paddock where the IMSA teams are stationed which tells me there's no way they're doing the autograph sessions.

The incredible access to the teams and cars is part of what makes the event so spectacular so taking that away does sour things a bit.

Quick Reply: Sebring: Pit lane on backstretch?