Zip tying brake sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 12:27 AM
humpday
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zip tying brake sensors

Hi all,
I'm about to swap brake pads and rotors on my car. I'm going to track the car a handful of days this year so I want to zip tie the new brake sensors out of the way. I read that some rennlisters spliced and soldered the brake sensor wires together, but if like to try zip tying first.

i read here that someone tied the sensors to the strut, but am I being paranoid that there's too much movement on the strut that could cause problems with the tied up sensor? Wondering if anyone else has experience on where to secure there things. Pictures would be awesome if available. Thanks rennlist pros.

​​

​​​
Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by humpday
Hi all,
I'm about to swap brake pads and rotors on my car. I'm going to track the car a handful of days this year so I want to zip tie the new brake sensors out of the way. I read that some rennlisters spliced and soldered the brake sensor wires together, but if like to try zip tying first.

i read here that someone tied the sensors to the strut, but am I being paranoid that there's too much movement on the strut that could cause problems with the tied up sensor? Wondering if anyone else has experience on where to secure there things. Pictures would be awesome if available. Thanks rennlist pros.
​​​
If memory serves correctly the sensor lines run through a bracket on the strut anyway. Just tie off after that point. It’ll be fine.
The following users liked this post:
Murphey997 (06-14-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

You'll be fine.....this was common practice in the M3 world and I personally never had a issue zip tying mine to the strut...….Phil
Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 AM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
You'll be fine.....this was common practice in the M3 world and I personally never had a issue zip tying mine to the strut...….Phil
That's true and I did that in my M3. But after years of that I got worried that one day the zip will break etc. So for my 997 I cut and soldered them; no loose ends. And replacing the whole set if need be is like $30.

The following 2 users liked this post by roadie13:
dgrobs (06-03-2020), Phil T (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 04:26 PM
RolleiBob
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, depending on old the sensors are, they may be brittle. Mine just broke apart when I tried pulling them out of the slot on the pads. The sensor is embedded in plastic and heat causes them to be brittle. I saw a post about just twisting the wires and using heat shrink over it. I did that because I don't a have a solder gun. Still working 3 years later. Not to be cliche, but if your going to the track, you need to start paying attention to the pads by visually and physically checking them.
BlackOptic (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 03:47 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks for the post, OP. I’m going to be installing a BBK and will be following this thread.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:31 PM
humpday
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RolleiBob
Also, depending on old the sensors are, they may be brittle. Mine just broke apart when I tried pulling them out of the slot on the pads. The sensor is embedded in plastic and heat causes them to be brittle. I saw a post about just twisting the wires and using heat shrink over it. I did that because I don't a have a solder gun. Still working 3 years later. Not to be cliche, but if your going to the track, you need to start paying attention to the pads by visually and physically checking them.
Yes. This is exactly why I want to get rid of the sensors. I don't need them since I'm going to be checking them constantly anyway.

I'll take a look at what it looks like when I take the wheels off. If I can tie to the strut, then that's what I'll likely do. If not, I may just get the heat shrink. If you heat shrink or solder the wires, I'm assuming the slack is short enough such that zip tying is unnecessary?
Old 06-05-2020, 05:52 AM
RolleiBob
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You can unplug the sensor where it connects on the strut and then cut them down to a short length. Strip some insulation and twist the exposed wire ends to complete the circuit. Put on the shrink wrap. Plug them back in. I think I left about 2" or so and they just stick out in the open area around the strut. I'm not the greatest home mechanic. This is one of those easy things to do.
gman3280 (06-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Zip tying brake sensors