Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do the Chin event at Sebring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 08:55 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Anyone do the Chin event at Sebring?

This weekend. wondering how all the logistics went.... along with the drivers meeting length....
Old 05-31-2020, 10:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Hey, are you coming down to VIR, Frank?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-31-2020, 11:39 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

HI PETER. seems the next confirmed VIR event is David Murry Track Days...June 17-18. I am doing the SVRA Road America event that weekend... 18-21. Sure hope to get to VIR on track this year.... if not, will be at VIR for IMSA race on the Rebel Rock team if MPC makes it there this year.. cheers! Frank..
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 04:08 PM
rza75
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and it was pretty smooth. The drivers meeting was the same as normal for the most part. They live streamed it on their youtube channel, but some gathered around outside as well, but with plenty of space between everyone. Face masks were an absolute requirement when outside of your car and they were pretty strict about. The only annoying thing was they only allowed use of every other garage so most of us didn't get one.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:58 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Was there in-car instruction? Weekend before we had Suncoast PCA DE and it was solo and instructor only.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:24 PM
rza75
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they allowed passengers and instructors in cars. I honestly didn't really pay attention if the procedures had changed like face masks or anything else, but it was definitely allowed.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Didn't work at VIR...
Old 06-01-2020, 10:04 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

I was a little skeptical and scared it would be a wild jungle with everyone with withdrawal syndrome like that Toronto event. Quite the opposite, it was a very fun Saturday.

As @rza75 mentioned, they blocked every other garage and I ended up without one. They were really focused on constant mask use (you only could take it off inside your car). Sebring even gave a 10 min penalty to the red group in the afternoon on Saturday for some people not using masks all time. Don’t ask me how they came up with that. Most of the time people had their masks/balaclavas/helmet on. Once in a blue moon you would see someone without. But very rare. At any rate, that was the extent of the penalty and from the tone of Jim’s announcement by the end of the day (happy hour finished 20 min early because of storm with lightning), they seemed relieved it went well. I did not stay for Sunday.

It was pretty hot so it was a little annoying to be working on your car under the scorching sun in the paddock with a mask on and not a soul in 100s yards radius. But I understand the hesitation and was worth it to be back at the track.

They allowed windows up and did not even have to put it down to check the wristbands.

Very well organized as typical Chin with electronic waiver form. I payed for the yearly inspection. So not really sure how inspection went but the line seemed to be flowing well.

Even though red had like 40 something people registered, it did not appear to be as busy as usual. From what I could see there were students on green.

A day before the event they sent an email asking you to submit any guest names as there would be a list at the gate. At the gate they checked my temp with a laser gun Friday night when I dropped the car but never checked the list. When checking the temp they asked some typical COVID questions, had me step out of the car to sign the track waiver, and got a wrist band that was good for all Saturday. The initial email said they would check temp every time you came in but it did not happen. Only had to show the wristband to go through gate.

I stayed at Seven (Chateau Elan) and the bar was open with a little less tables to allow some social distancing. No need to keep your masks on either at bar or restaurant. The hotel encouraged but did not mandate masks inside. The rooms did not have daily cleaning but they would bring towels and leave by the door if needed.

Went to eat at Watering Hole. No masks no nada there.

Signing up for the June 13 event tonight!
Old 06-02-2020, 06:56 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Didn't work at VIR...
I have a buddy at the event. Sounds like an adventure.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:14 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I have a buddy at the event. Sounds like an adventure.
Edit: Nevermind

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 06-02-2020 at 01:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Care to expand on that?
No. No good can come from that.

Quick Reply: Anyone do the Chin event at Sebring?