Sponsored by:

Awkward

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 07:41 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Which is more boring - watching virtual racing or watching Formula E?
Actually enjoy watching the Tag Heur iRacing Porsche Cup Car racing. Would rather watch the real SuperCup racing - but find the iRacing to be a good subsititute. It's also quite clear that Porsche has informed it's drivers that virtual racining is important to the Porsche brand during the pandamic. So you now have drivers like Nick Tandy putting in the time on simulators to be competitive. That's how the Porsche factory works drivers are approaching this current virtual world.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The utter stupidity of the last ~2 months has revealed the real character and personalities of hordes of people we previously thought we knew and respected

Oh, the irony...

Last edited by ProCoach; 05-28-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Oh, the irony...
Lol I didn't claim immunity!
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:43 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Then I was obviously not talking about you!

One of my favorite lines was when interviewing tax attorneys for a business, a partner at a regional firm said "There is black and there is white. We live in the defensible gray."
I have versions of that conversation every day. Usually with my clients and sometimes with my wife.

Originally Posted by brake dust
Actually enjoy watching the Tag Heur iRacing Porsche Cup Car racing. Would rather watch the real SuperCup racing - but find the iRacing to be a good subsititute. It's also quite clear that Porsche has informed it's drivers that virtual racining is important to the Porsche brand during the pandamic. So you now have drivers like Nick Tandy putting in the time on simulators to be competitive. That's how the Porsche factory works drivers are approaching this current virtual world.
I wish I could enjoy it but when you take away the physicality and risk of real racing it becomes just a game for me.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:17 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I have versions of that conversation every day. Usually with my clients and sometimes with my wife.
If I ever pulled that "defensible gray" crap with my wife......never mind.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:42 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

Listen I get the bad stuff that a couple of racers did and they deserve what they get . But I think some of the things that drivers are getting in trouble for is BS .

The long and the short is this is NOTHING like real racing . No real consequences for your driving except if you do or say something stupid outside of the GAME. It might be fun and entertaining for some but its a glorified video game.

Just my 2 cents - tired of hearing about a real driver quieting during a VIDEO game after he was crashed out and now loosing sponsors

Old 05-28-2020, 11:12 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Listen I get the bad stuff that a couple of racers did and they deserve what they get . But I think some of the things that drivers are getting in trouble for is BS .

The long and the short is this is NOTHING like real racing . No real consequences for your driving except if you do or say something stupid outside of the GAME. It might be fun and entertaining for some but its a glorified video game.

Just my 2 cents - tired of hearing about a real driver quieting during a VIDEO game after he was crashed out and now loosing sponsors
There's a difference between an informal irace and a sanctioned event where sponsors are watching and paying you to represent them.
The following 2 users liked this post by sbelles:
Paul Solk (05-28-2020), PGas32 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

That is true

I guess the old days of of flipping the bird and getting better ratings is over
Old 05-28-2020, 01:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve113
That is true

I guess the old days of of flipping the bird and getting better ratings is over
It is a rare race weekend where I do not flip the bird at someone at least once. It's usually a cup car driver on the receiving end!

The way I see the three incidents are:

1. Saying the N word - he got what he deserved.

2. Hiring a "ringer" - make a real apology and have to do some kind of service but you don't lose your ride over it.

3. "rage quiting" - this is a non-event. Ridiculous that the sponsor backed out.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

It is a rare race weekend where I do not flip the bird at someone at least once. It's usually a cup car driver on the receiving end!

The way I see the three incidents are:

1. Saying the N word - he got what he deserved.

2. Hiring a "ringer" - make a real apology and have to do some kind of service but you don't lose your ride over it.

3. "rage quiting" - this is a non-event. Ridiculous that the sponsor backed out.
1. Agree
2. He deserves to get canned
3. The sponsor was a little over-reactive to me, but I'm not forking out a few million a year on someone else's driving.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

1. Agree
2. He deserves to get canned
3. The sponsor was a little over-reactive to me, but I'm not forking out a few million a year on someone else's driving.
Agreeing on one out of three is a start.

It is an unfortunate truth that there is a fair amount of cheating in racing. I understand it somewhat at the pro level, when money is on the line, but think it is ridiculous on the club level. So, in comparison, was this guy cheating? Was there something on the line? I don't know but sim racing is not real racing so I feel like the guy should be cut a break.

Lastly, the sponsor pulling out because Bubba "rage quit" is only a little over-reactive? Again, it isn't real racing and is the internet equivalent to getting out of your car and throwing your helmet (which I personally did a bunch of years ago only to find out you should really buy a new helmet if you bounce it as high as I did, so that was a nice lesson in impulse control for me!) I would boycott the sponsor for their stupidity.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:39 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

It is an unfortunate truth that there is a fair amount of cheating in racing. I understand it somewhat at the pro level, when money is on the line, but think it is ridiculous on the club level. So, in comparison, was this guy cheating? Was there something on the line? I don't know but sim racing is not real racing so I feel like the guy should be cut a break.

Lastly, the sponsor pulling out because Bubba "rage quit" is only a little over-reactive? Again, it isn't real racing and is the internet equivalent to getting out of your car and throwing your helmet (which I personally did a bunch of years ago only to find out you should really buy a new helmet if you bounce it as high as I did, so that was a nice lesson in impulse control for me!) I would boycott the sponsor for their stupidity.
If I'm paying someone to play ball with my name on their jersey but instead they take their ball and go home, I think I'd find another ball player too.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

I don't think of it as he did something in a game, but he did something in the public eye that his sponsor didn't like. No different than if he showed up to a media day drunk, got caught on video doings something stupid in public, etc. It was conduct unbecoming.

There's cheating and there's cheating. He had someone else drive in his place. That's over the line IMHO.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I don't think of it as he did something in a game, but he did something in the public eye that his sponsor didn't like. No different than if he showed up to a media day drunk, got caught on video doings something stupid in public, etc. It was conduct unbecoming.

There's cheating and there's cheating. He had someone else drive in his place. That's over the line IMHO.
I could be convinced on that one because I hate cheating.

In my home office I still have a second place trophy which was handed out Saturday night and when all the cars were inspected Sunday morning the guy had a flashed ECU in a stock class. He was DQed but never gave me the trophy. It's just a stupid trophy but it still burns me. Also explains how he was a second a lap faster than me even though the previous year I was only a two tenths off the lap record in class.

So with that background, and my hatred for cheaters, I can meet you half way and say the guy should have some consequences but still think being thrown out is harsh. Maybe a several race suspension.

But I will stand firm on Bubba. That sponsor should have yawned about what happened because regardless of whether it is sim or real racing getting a little pissed off is racing.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

^^^ Wow! The dude kept the trophy? Let me guess, he was running his Sunday Tune all weekend.

Quick Reply: Awkward