Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace these rotors before the next event?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:17 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 663 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
What brake fluid should he use?
Click this link: How to choose racing brake fluid

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 05-26-2020, 10:25 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Yep, I see the gif :-)

Porsche uses Endless in the RSR, Not positive, but that may have when they were running the PFC calipers. I have long used AP Racing / Brembo (same stuff, Brembo ownes or used to own AP), There are those who swear by SRF - but seems a bit pricey to me.

Nickle tour: What is important (IMNSHO) are the wet boiling points - since most brake fluid likes to absorb water, generally from humidity in the air. Water is the problem with brake fluid - it drops the boiling point, and this is all about heat management. Soft brake pedals are largely due to steam pockets being created in the brake lines from water, which are compressible - note brake fluid is not really!

Porsche's have amazing brakes, and there are plenty of good cooling options, if you are tracking your car, you should ensure that you take advantage of these cooling do-dads :-)

A 30 sec blurt, worth what you are paying for it!
Old 05-26-2020, 10:30 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 663 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Yep, I see the gif :-)

Porsche uses Endless in the RSR, Not positive, but that may have when they were running the PFC calipers. I have long used AP Racing / Brembo (same stuff, Brembo ownes or used to own AP), There are those who swear by SRF - but seems a bit pricey to me.

Nickle tour: What is important (IMNSHO) are the wet boiling points - since most brake fluid likes to absorb water, generally from humidity in the air. Water is the problem with brake fluid - it drops the boiling point, and this is all about heat management. Soft brake pedals are largely due to steam pockets being created in the brake lines from water, which are compressible - note brake fluid is not really!

Porsche's have amazing brakes, and there are plenty of good cooling options, if you are tracking your car, you should ensure that you take advantage of these cooling do-dads :-)

A 30 sec blurt, worth what you are paying for it!
No offense to rbahr, but our professional opinion is that wet boiling point is an antiquated yardstick that has very little relevance for anything other than a mom's soccer van. We use AP Racing R4 in NASCAR Cup, it won the IndyCar championship last year, etc. We service all the top teams directly with these products. If you read the article to which I linked, you'll see why. Dry boiling point is the primary concern in a modern road car going to the track.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:14 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I agree, but the fluid gets wet somewhat quickly AND the wet point represents worst case - which is how I usually plan things. Not to mention that most fluids have pretty high dry boiling points, it is how they market them. Always look at and plan with the weakest link in mind...

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Dry boiling point is the primary concern in a modern road car going to the track.
- As long as the system is maintained at the proper level. Individuals don't do that!

That said, I do use AP / Brembo :-)
Old 05-26-2020, 11:24 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Another example of a person knowing what they should do but hoping someone would let them off the hook......
I've been guilty of the same thing. Decades ago I was drinking a beer staring down at a messed up oil pump shaft contemplating if "I could live with it" because of the laundry list of parts like oil pan, transfer case, front axles, etc that would have to come out to change it. Downside of bad outcome from living with it would be a broken timing belt and pistons hitting valves.

Next door neighbor walks up, about 30 years my senior and a skilled mechanic. Offer him a beer and we are both staring at it and he simply says, "if it looks ****ed up, it most likely is ****ed up". Finished my beer and started ripping it apart...

Sage advice and applies to the OP's rotor(s).
Old 05-26-2020, 11:29 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I've been guilty of the same thing. Decades ago I was drinking a beer staring down at a messed up oil pump shaft contemplating if "I could live with it" because of the laundry list of parts like oil pan, transfer case, front axles, etc that would have to come out to change it. Downside of bad outcome from living with it would be a broken timing belt and pistons hitting valves.

Next door neighbor walks up, about 30 years my senior and a skilled mechanic. Offer him a beer and we are both staring at it and he simply says, "if it looks ****ed up, it most likely is ****ed up". Finished my beer and started ripping it apart...

Sage advice and applies to the OP's rotor(s).
Words to live by.......
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

I would love to get a set of slotted rotors as replacements, but the problem is, I installed the Tarrett caliper studs last year because I was worried about stripping the threads in the uprights, and the studs are not long enough to accommodate spacers for a larger rotor. Seems like all the slotted rotor vendors are using a larger radius as well, which would require spacers, and I don't want to deal with the the headache of replacing the studs (which seems to require heating them to weaken the loctite?) at this point.

Even with the studs at this length, it is already rather awkward to get the caliper onto the studs with the clunky brake line bracket attached. I feel like I am applying more force to the hard brake line than I should be. With longer studs, it would be even worse.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:30 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
I would love to get a set of slotted rotors as replacements, but the problem is, I installed the Tarrett caliper studs last year because I was worried about stripping the threads in the uprights, and the studs are not long enough to accommodate spacers for a larger rotor. Seems like all the slotted rotor vendors are using a larger radius as well, which would require spacers, and I don't want to deal with the the headache of replacing the studs (which seems to require heating them to weaken the loctite?) at this point.

Even with the studs at this length, it is already rather awkward to get the caliper onto the studs with the clunky brake line bracket attached. I feel like I am applying more force to the hard brake line than I should be. With longer studs, it would be even worse.
You should be able to find slotted rotors with same dimensions as your current rotors.

Also, I may be missing something but rotors and calipers go together. I don't think you can simply add spacers to accommodate a larger radius. You'd also need a different set of calipers.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:15 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 491 Likes on 359 Posts

I've had Tarett caliper studs on my last two cars. It sounds like you didn't install the smaller stud for the brake brackets. You should unbolt the brake line bracket to give the extra room to lift the caliper off the stud without potentially damaging the brake lines. The smaller stud makes this easier and repeatable. You should be able to order Sebro slotted in the standard size for you car, front and back from several vendors. I ordered a front and rear set for my 2013 BS from FCP Euro which come with a warranty. I have not warranty, but others indicate you order a new set, send the old ones back and they give you credit.

Like HP you can't have too much brake, but unless you feel the need for upgraded brakes, IMO Sebro slotted with a race pad should be more than adequate for a DE.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:26 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
I've had Tarett caliper studs on my last two cars. It sounds like you didn't install the smaller stud for the brake brackets. You should unbolt the brake line bracket to give the extra room to lift the caliper off the stud without potentially damaging the brake lines. The smaller stud makes this easier and repeatable. You should be able to order Sebro slotted in the standard size for you car, front and back from several vendors. I ordered a front and rear set for my 2013 BS from FCP Euro which come with a warranty. I have not warranty, but others indicate you order a new set, send the old ones back and they give you credit.

Like HP you can't have too much brake, but unless you feel the need for upgraded brakes, IMO Sebro slotted with a race pad should be more than adequate for a DE.
Yeah, I have the brake line bracket studs installed, but the bracket itself is still rigidly attached to the line and caliper and awkwardly gets in the way. Or do you remove the bracket from the caliper and line entirely, in addition to unbolting it from the upright? I don't remember seeing a straightforward way to do that.

I seem to also recall that, when trying to fit the caliper over the studs, the hard brake line itself interferes with the sway bar link, but it's been a few months since I've been under there and I might be misremembering.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:34 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen

Sebro makes direct replacements for 981 cars, IIRC, they are used in SCCA classes that require OEM sized rotors and calipers.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Someone had asked to see a failed rotor:

Old 06-02-2020, 10:20 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Lemme guess, it tore up the hat and the caliper as well. Looks like that cylinder head has an interesting story...
Old 06-02-2020, 10:22 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Someone had asked to see a failed rotor:

Yeah, that would qualify...
Old 06-02-2020, 11:09 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The cylinder head was on a 935 clone. The boost control had 3 settings: $, $$, $$$. I think it was on the highest for a bit to long...

WRT rotor, there was a bit of carnage when it finally went... In general you don't know exactly when, so timing it is not a good thing!

Ray

Quick Reply: Should I replace these rotors before the next event?