Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: When should go/no go be decided?
8 weeks before
9.72%
6 weeks before
16.67%
4 weeks before
52.78%
2 weeks before
19.44%
1 week before
1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

When should organizers cancel an event?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 10:04 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyF14
If we did cancel now, but the track is allowed to open ...., we would lose our deposit.
^^THIS. This is exactly the dilemma most organizations are in. Not to mention the potential of losing the venue for next year when they fill it with someone else and you lose your 'spot'. But...if you hold the event and nobody comes, you potentially lose even more money. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Just like you're hopefully trying to support all your local restaurants and small businesses, please try to support your track events. Most are run by small groups/clubs that can't afford to lose that kind of money. Take responsibility of your own social distancing. You don't NEED to be close to anyone if you don't want to . At this point, I think all event organizers will be putting in place things to help everyone be and feel safe. Many golf courses are open, why do they get to have all the fun? Go out and have some of your own fun...I think we all need it.

Here in NC we're still discussing our June 5-7 SCCA race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Thankfully the track has given us until May 1 to make a final decision. We can't afford to lose much money but the track has already told us that someone else wants our weekend and if we cancel we may never see a race there again.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-13-2020, 11:05 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,066 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
We can't afford to lose much money but the track has already told us that someone else wants our weekend and if we cancel we may never see a race there again.
Yep, unfortunately true all over the country, now. Use it or lose it. Date equity is a two-way thing.

When I started SCCA Club racing, there were half a dozen SCCA races plus an IMSA pro event every year at Charlotte. Later, there was more than a decade, IIRC, where there weren’t any DE or SCCA races there.

It’s to CCR’s credit that the track has reopened to Club Racing and other events. I hope it can continue. It’s a great facility and fun roval.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-13-2020, 03:50 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Registration for the wgi metro event preceding the zone1 club race opens tomorrow. I have trouble registering for anything needing overnight travel for the foreseeable future ....ignoring that the engine is out of my car.
Currently Metro is planning to run the event but it will be PCA Solo Drivers Only.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:03 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Currently Metro is planning to run the event but it will be PCA Solo Drivers Only.
Yep, signed up for both days, here's hoping.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:46 PM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
You don't NEED to be close to anyone if you don't want to.
The concern (at least for me) is not distancing at the track, but cleanliness, availability, food preparation, etc. away from the track. ie. @Hotels, restaurants, and other areas where guidelines may not be followed can put you at risk. As an example, while on our bi-weekly food shopping trip a small local store had everyone in gloves and masks and the checkers were protected with shields. I felt the food preparation areas were similarly equipped. An opposite example was the staff at the largest Chicago grocery chain did not have gloves, masks, nor protection for the checkers. Still wiped down everything with a bleach wipe before bringing it into the house.

If i was 25 years old I might feel different, but anyone 50+ is at significantly higher risk. And I suspect the hospitals in the area may not be up to the abilities/capacities of the Chicago area medical facilities. The odds may be small, unless you're the one affected.

Another personal concern is the risk to individuals on the teams that support us at the event.

Obviously a very personal decision. I wish I was going.

Greg
Old 04-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

It's looking more and more like May 20th for re-opening in the Tri-State area if you read between the lines and even then it is going to be a slow roll re-opening, not a light switch...

Just myself personally but I don't see myself at the track until at least June, probably July/August realistically. I was out yesterday because we needed a light switch for the pool. Just being out with EVERYONE in masks, Best Buy forcing you to pull up, tell them what type of car you are in and put your order in the trunk without any contact, having to sanitize after I got home, I just don't see myself going from "this" to a race weekend in 30 days... I seem to have a different mindset than most but I am also on calls with FEMA at 5am, Army Corps of Engineers and Medical centers across the country so being in tune with what they are trying to deal with shapes my perspective a bit.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:08 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
probably July/August realistically.
+1
Old 04-16-2020, 09:28 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Perspective

It's looking more and more like May 20th for re-opening in the Tri-State area if you read between the lines and even then it is going to be a slow roll re-opening, not a light switch...

Just myself personally but I don't see myself at the track until at least June, probably July/August realistically. I was out yesterday because we needed a light switch for the pool. Just being out with EVERYONE in masks, Best Buy forcing you to pull up, tell them what type of car you are in and put your order in the trunk without any contact, having to sanitize after I got home, I just don't see myself going from "this" to a race weekend in 30 days... I seem to have a different mindset than most but I am also on calls with FEMA at 5am, Army Corps of Engineers and Medical centers across the country so being in tune with what they are trying to deal with shapes my perspective a bit.

Thanks Paul. My company is busy so I don't see the news all day. When I tune in at night, I don't believe a word of what I hear. Would you be willing to elaborate on what you hear via the conversation you mention above? I'm currently signed up for Mid-Ohio and WGI, but I have my doubts either will happen.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:47 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Thanks Paul. My company is busy so I don't see the news all day. When I tune in at night, I don't believe a word of what I hear. Would you be willing to elaborate on what you hear via the conversation you mention above? I'm currently signed up for Mid-Ohio and WGI, but I have my doubts either will happen.
I can't get into a lot of details Don but let's just say some of the preparation calls when they start discussing response efforts are like gut punches. We are primarily involved in the planning not response aspect so focused from a technology perspective on setting up the testing centers, field hospitals, enabling current medical facilities to convert to zero touch facilities, we've set aside $50M in free gear for healthcare and first responders and we can't move the pallets quick enough. We are actually donating back our personal video endpoints to have them sanitized, refreshed and redistributed for healthcare workers.

Unfortunately though part of the planning and enabling calls are also listening to the response aspect, the collection process included and that is what gets you, especially when they are talking about going into a veterans home to silently collect the bodies and bury them with no grace, honor, dignity or even their family to say good-bye...

There is also a very real fear of the boomerang impact of this and a rebound in cases. Let's just say there have been numerous calls where you just want to put your head on your desk listening to what people are dealing with...
Old 04-16-2020, 09:55 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,108 Posts

I can't get into a lot of details Don but let's just say some of the preparation calls when they start discussing response efforts are like gut punches. We are primarily involved in the planning not response aspect so focused from a technology perspective on setting up the testing centers, field hospitals, enabling current medical facilities to convert to zero touch facilities, we've set aside $50M in free gear for healthcare and first responders and we can't move the pallets quick enough. We are actually donating back our personal video endpoints to have them sanitized, refreshed and redistributed for healthcare workers.

Unfortunately though part of the planning and enabling calls are also listening to the response aspect, the collection process included and that is what gets you, especially when they are talking about going into a veterans home to silently collect the bodies and bury them with no grace, honor, dignity or even their family to say good-bye...

There is also a very real fear of the boomerang impact of this and a rebound in cases. Let's just say there have been numerous calls where you just want to put your head on your desk listening to what people are dealing with...
Ugghh....
Old 04-16-2020, 10:05 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Ugghh....
I can't complain because relative to the reality some are facing right now 18 hour days are a blessing compared to the alternative but some of these conversations really do to take a toll on you and weigh you down... That's why my couple of hours a week on the sim is so important. Just pushes everything else out of the mind for that period of time but yes, my fiance has seen me walk out of the home office just gutted, speechless and beaten down too many times over the past few weeks...
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Thank you!

I can't complain because relative to the reality some are facing right now 18 hour days are a blessing compared to the alternative but some of these conversations really do to take a toll on you and weigh you down... That's why my couple of hours a week on the sim is so important. Just pushes everything else out of the mind for that period of time but yes, my fiance has seen me walk out of the home office just gutted, speechless and beaten down too many times over the past few weeks...
I have the utmost respect for all our first responders but there are so many positions, like yours, that are necessary to get us out of this hole. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 10:29 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993944S2
I have the utmost respect for all our first responders but there are so many positions, like yours, that are necessary to get us out of this hole. Thank you!
There are SO many levels contributing to getting us through this who are "silent players" but like you my level of respect for all our first responders just can't be put into words.... There are numerous people on this forum fighting this on the front line or with significant others doing the same, we will never be able to thank them enough. Personally, I've never been prouder of my companies leadership, my co-workers and they way we have stepped up as an organization... $225M directly donated to COVID response, $50M in equipment at no cost for first responders, $2.5B in financing to keep partners and customers in business, we've switched to "Social Manufacturing" which means we prioritize orders based on need rather than when we got the order or size of order so a hospital is getting gear over a bank regardless. Truly a model of how corporate America should be responding...
Old 04-16-2020, 10:43 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,108 Posts

my fiance has seen me walk out of the home office just gutted, speechless and beaten down too many times over the past few weeks...
Hang in there. I have found some solace in my sim as well, but I'm clearly not seeing and hearing and feeling what you are.

Hang in there....
Old 04-16-2020, 11:02 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Hang in there. I have found some solace in my sim as well, but I'm clearly not seeing and hearing and feeling what you are.

Hang in there....
Perspective is everything... No time to feel sorry for myself when I look at what others are struggling with. You are either stuck in the valley looking up at the never-ending hills you have to climb or on the top of the mountain looking to the next peak and ignoring the lows in the valley below....
I try to stay on the mountain top.

Hope you the Mrs and your pit crew are all well!

Quick Reply: When should organizers cancel an event?