Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: When should go/no go be decided?
8 weeks before
9.72%
6 weeks before
16.67%
4 weeks before
52.78%
2 weeks before
19.44%
1 week before
1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

When should organizers cancel an event?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 11:15 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Perspective is everything... No time to feel sorry for myself when I look at what others are struggling with. You are either stuck in the valley looking up at the never-ending hills you have to climb or on the top of the mountain looking to the next peak and ignoring the lows in the valley below....
I try to stay on the mountain top.

Hope you the Mrs and your pit crew are all well!
Old 04-21-2020, 08:36 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

CHIN just cancelled 5/11 and 5/12 at WGI as well... Seems they are just offering a credit for a later event according to their announcement, no mention of refunds.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:05 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

CHIN just cancelled 5/11 and 5/12 at WGI as well... Seems they are just offering a credit for a later event according to their announcement, no mention of refunds.
I saw this on a previous cancellation from Chin as well.

If I read it right, you are only allowed to "roll" your registration fees into a future event without expiration.

No refunds seems to be the case here. Not sure if that will change.

This is from an email from Chin I got on April 3rd re: WGI 5/11-5/12Our venue partners are rolling-over our pre-paid track rental fees to the next downstream event; however, we don’t receive refunds on the $100s of thousands of dollars in pre-paid track rental. In turn, we request parallel courtesy from our valued clientele. Those with paid entries on cancelled events will retain an unrestricted full-value credit on your Chin member account, valid at any future event, without expiration. The scale of our calendar gives you great flexibility. We have events almost every weekend, with multiple downstream dates at most locations.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:19 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I saw this on a previous cancellation from Chin as well.

If I read it right, you are only allowed to "roll" your registration fees into a future event without expiration.

No refunds seems to be the case here. Not sure if that will change.

This is from an email from Chin I got on April 3rd re: WGI 5/11-5/12Our venue partners are rolling-over our pre-paid track rental fees to the next downstream event; however, we don’t receive refunds on the $100s of thousands of dollars in pre-paid track rental. In turn, we request parallel courtesy from our valued clientele. Those with paid entries on cancelled events will retain an unrestricted full-value credit on your Chin member account, valid at any future event, without expiration. The scale of our calendar gives you great flexibility. We have events almost every weekend, with multiple downstream dates at most locations.
That is how I read it as well. Also tells me I wouldn't register in advance with them but hey, that's just me... So if you registered for NJMP and WGI with them they now have a minimum of $1400.00 and only 2 more days in the northeast to use them? Great group to run with, not questioning that at all but if they were holding $1400 of mine right now I'd be pretty upset... They have to do what they have to do to keep the doors open and if it's good enough for the airlines but personally as Peter Griffin would say, "this grinds my gears" LOL

The following users liked this post:
gbuff (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:19 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 281 Posts

NASA is is doing refunds but holding $50 which you can apply to another event through 2021.
I understand the sensitivity here but am not crazy about either policy--not to get too philosophical but who the hell knows what's down the road?
The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:22 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

That is how I read it as well. Also tells me I wouldn't register in advance with them but hey, that's just me... So if you registered for NJMP and WGI with them they now have a minimum of $1400.00 and only 2 more days in the northeast to use them? Great group to run with, not questioning that at all but if they were holding $1400 of mine right now I'd be pretty upset... They have to do what they have to do to keep the doors open and if it's good enough for the airlines but personally as Peter Griffin would say, "this grinds my gears" LOL
Note to self: Continue to run with Chin as always, but if there is a Pandemic looming on the horizon, wait until the day before the event to register...
Old 04-21-2020, 10:26 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

I am an enormous fan of Chin but I really dislike the decision they have made here. I know that the vast majority of the track rat population is relatively immune to the effects of such a policy but there is a nontrivial segment of the customer base that could really need that spare $500 or whatever back right now. (Not me, I haven't paid money to drive on a track in years.)
The following 2 users liked this post by DTMiller:
dgrobs (04-21-2020), Paul Solk (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 11:36 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,767 Posts

What I don't understand is if we are waiting for a vaccine than the whole 2020 season is cancelled. If we un-quarantine prior to a vaccine it will all slowly start to spread again and we go for herd immunity.

I'm not certain there is a third choice.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
What I don't understand is if we are waiting for a vaccine than the whole 2020 season is cancelled. If we un-quarantine prior to a vaccine it will all slowly start to spread again and we go for herd immunity.

To keep it relevant to this discussion that is part of what irritates me most about Chin's decision. There is way to much uncertainty to just hold onto peoples money. Furthermore if the tracks are cancelling b/c of state of emergency they are getting a refund from the track or their deposit is being moved to another later date (unlikely with WGI) so why would they need to hold $700p/p?

In all honesty and not to sound petty but if I paid via Paypal or CC I would be reaching out to them for my money back regardless. Precedent was set with the airlines. (Luigi loves it when I use lawyer words)
Old 04-21-2020, 11:50 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I'm not so sure there is a 2nd choice either.

If we un-quarantine prior to a vaccine, it's gonna be game over, or should I say new game just beginning?

It basically comes down to stay home until a vaccine is developed, approved, scaled up, and sold OR take your chances and risk (with almost certainty) that the virus revamps and spreads exponentially again, killing a lot of people in its wake.

If there is a 2nd choice, it SUCKS just as bad as the 1st choice, but at least you will be alive when the vaccine becomes available.

Remember, there is no evidence whatsoever that having the virus and beating it and developing antibodies will make you immune down the road, and if it does carry some immunity with it, how long are you immune for? We just don't know enough about this virus yet to say that anything is a 100% certainty.

If we wait for a vaccine, then yes, the 2020 driving season here in the northeast is over. Both choices suck, but one sucks a little less than the other. There really is no way to win, just a way to wait.

G-D THIS FUKIN SUCKS!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2020, 02:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

To keep it relevant to this discussion that is part of what irritates me most about Chin's decision. There is way to much uncertainty to just hold onto peoples money. Furthermore if the tracks are cancelling b/c of state of emergency they are getting a refund from the track or their deposit is being moved to another later date (unlikely with WGI) so why would they need to hold $700p/p?

In all honesty and not to sound petty but if I paid via Paypal or CC I would be reaching out to them for my money back regardless. Precedent was set with the airlines. (Luigi loves it when I use lawyer words)
Many of us, including me, just registered for the PCA WGI race on May 29. What is going to be different in the world a month from now that makes this race different from the LRP race which was to take place this weekend?

My point, for once keeping with what the thread is about, is why is any race still on? What condition precedent are we waiting for to cancel each race? Its not like there is going to suddenly be a vaccine in the next couple of weeks.

@Paul Solk If you use words like that you have to provide a link to dictionary.com for @dgrobs
Old 04-21-2020, 02:06 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

@Paul Solk If you use words like that you have to provide a link to dictionary.com for @dgrobs
He's right Paul...

Luigi, GFY!!
Old 04-21-2020, 02:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
He's right Paul...

Luigi, GFY!!
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/precedent?s=t
Old 04-21-2020, 02:11 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Wow, cool. All the big words are in there. Thanks..
Old 04-21-2020, 03:19 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

if you hear a lawyer say " precedent".... run for the hills..... just my experience...

BTW. there is NO way any vaccine will impact us in 2020.. Even if extremely protective and long lasting ( both doubtful). simply time for body to generate neutralizing abs, after prime+boost... not enoygh time

we only have herd immunity to rely on in shortterm

Quick Reply: When should organizers cancel an event?