Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: When should go/no go be decided?
8 weeks before
9.72%
6 weeks before
16.67%
4 weeks before
52.78%
2 weeks before
19.44%
1 week before
1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

When should organizers cancel an event?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 08:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Most tracks I know of have closed through April. I am guessing that May is looking a little sketchy now as well. I have signed up for an event in May.....they will do Virtual Driver's Meeting. Might have to buy a Porta Potty, and bolt it down for the trailer....what a gross thought, but not sharing a bathroom with anybody.
Here in the East, VIR is, by the Governor's order, unable to hold events tentatively until June 10. Not good, for sure.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-01-2020, 10:18 PM
will968
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not signing up anything until things are under control.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:12 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 110 Posts

Realistically, I don’t see us race again this year.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:53 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We cancelled our early May DE at LRP apx 6 weeks out. As an organizer I can say it’s a very difficult decision. As pro coach said the financial ramifications are significant. We looked at what was going on in Italy (my daughter lives in Milan) and decided that we would not be in the clear by then. That looks like a good call now, but was not easy 3 weeks ago. The other ramifications of how to maintain social distancing, hygiene and instructed students seemed daunting. Our next scheduled event is in July. Hard to say what will be happening then.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deadeye:
K964 (04-04-2020), Paul Solk (04-12-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 05:12 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 594 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm on our local SCCA BoD and Competition Committee. We have a call tonight to discuss our June 5-7 Majors race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. As noted above, one of the biggest concerns is the financial implications. Tracks will allow the event to go on (especially one owned by Bruton Smith) as long as the state allows it. BUT...what will the attendance be? Will we make enough money to cover our costs? What is the cancellation policy? We know what it has always been, but what about the current extenuating circumstances? LOTS of questions to be asked...We have not given them the $30,000+ deposit yet ...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-02-2020, 06:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
We know what it has always been, but what about the current extenuating circumstances? LOTS of questions to be asked...We have not given them the $30,000+ deposit yet ...
Yep, I'm on the Comp Board as the CI for NC Region SCCA. The State made the decision for VIR. VIR made the decision for SCCA. Majors are not able to be rescheduled this year. I think they've added a Pitt Race Majors later in the year to try and make up for this one.

Big problem is date equity. It's hard getting a date at any track, let alone Charlotte and VIR. If you decide against it, and don't give them the deposit, do they give you the date next year?

If you DO go ahead, it's going to be tough to get the "engine" of racing started quick enough to have a good turnout. Plus there are the restaurants, hotels, etc. Hope for the best for CCR and this event, for sure. Taught SCCA school there in the early Nineties. Fun track!
Old 04-04-2020, 04:34 PM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Perfect answer
Old 04-04-2020, 10:41 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

edit

Last edited by VRYALT3R3D; 08-21-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:27 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly right. As the organizer of the PCA Zone 2 Club Race at VIR, we're planning on the event happening on 19-21JUN. Current Virginia restrictions set to end on 19JUN - just a week before the race. We want to hold the race and don't want to cancel. If we did cancel now, but the track is allowed to open by the Governor, we would lose our deposit. I'll be posting a short survey later to gauge interest in the VIR race. More later.....
Old 04-12-2020, 02:50 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Registration for the wgi metro event preceding the zone1 club race opens tomorrow. I have trouble registering for anything needing overnight travel for the foreseeable future ....ignoring that the engine is out of my car.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:39 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 272 Posts

Looks like they're going ahead with the May CR @ Mid-Ohio (MOR).....not sure about the DE portion (NNJR)....

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-cup-...l#post16542235
Old 04-12-2020, 05:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbuff
Looks like they're going ahead with the May CR @ Mid-Ohio (MOR).....not sure about the DE portion (NNJR)....

Wow. More power to them...
Old 04-12-2020, 06:12 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff

Be nice if the Race and DE both happened, but I can't see either happening at this point. Hope I am wrong and hope you guys at least get to race.
Wonder what the attendance would be like if the race actually happens. We're talking about a month from now, and we are nowhere near being safe yet.
Maybe, just maybe. Fingers crossed for you racers. Not sure my family would let me go to a DE unless I've been tested and have the immuning antibodies.
Went to the grocery store this morning to shop for the family needs for the next couple weeks (there are 6 of us and I filled up 2 shopping carts) and felt like I was taking my life in my hands by going.
Would be awesome to safely go to the 3 days at Mid-O....
Old 04-12-2020, 08:27 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

The PCA Zone 2 Club Race Committee is working on plans for the June 19-21, 2020 "Rumble at the Oak Tree" race at VIR. First of all, we truly hope that you and your families are safe during the incredible situation we all find ourselves in with the Covid-19 pandemic. Everyone's lives have been affected by this crisis but some certainly more than others.

We have considered moving the VIR race to an alternate date but there aren't any reasonable alternatives. The race at VIR is still on the calendar in June and registration opens on Monday May 4th!!

We would like some feedback from the PCA Club Racers who have attended the "Rumble at the Oak Tree" in the past couple of years to help us plan the 2020 race. Baring any changes, the Covid-19 restrictions in Virginia are set to remain in place until June 10th. Of course, the restrictions could be lifted earlier but if they are extended the track will have to stay closed and the race canceled.

1) Have you already made a decision not to race at VIR in June?
2) If the restrictions are not lifted until June 10th, only one week before the race, will you plan to attend the "Rumble at the Oak Tree"?
3) How many weeks prior to the race do you consider your "minimum decision point time" to register and make preparations to attend?
4) Will your local restrictions impact your ability to prep your car at the dealership or independent shop? Are the shops open?
5) When do you expect your local restrictions to be lifted and allow you to "move about the country" again?

Thanks for your feedback and we hope to see everyone in the paddock in June!!
Old 04-12-2020, 09:02 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
With the travel restrictions in place, I can't even cross the border to go to an event. I was hoping to go to Sebring.
......and I've got a pile of events at Mosport coming up......

Quick Reply: When should organizers cancel an event?