Sponsored by:

Suburban as a Tow Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 10:42 AM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban as a Tow Vehicle

I'm considering a Suburban as a tow vehicle and would like some feedback from anyone with experience.

Here's my situation:

I'll be towing a 24' enclosed trailer with either a load of 3-4 racing karts or my 996 (3,200). So figure my tow weights will be from 8-10K on the high end.

This vehicle will be my daily driver during the week so I prefer the SUV bodystyle. This however rules out the DuraMax diesel which I truly want. In light of this I thought the 8.1 would give me the high towing capacity I want, but I am afraid of dismal gas mileage even when empty. The other option would be to go with the 6.0 but I've been told there isn't much difference in MPG between the two engines. I haven't seen any EPA ratings on either engine and I believe the 8.1 and possibly the 6.0 don't require govt. testing so MPG figures are scarce.

Questions:

1. Can anybody give me real world MPG for both engines (empty and towing)?

2. What are the differences in towing between the 6.0 and 8.1?

3. Can the 6.0 handle the towing I need?

4. Has anybody heard if Chevy will offer the DuraMax in the Suburban anytime soon?

* Any other general thoughts about the Suburban in this role are welcome

TIA
Old 03-05-2004, 10:47 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Why not a diesel Excursion? Right now diesel fuel is cheaper as well.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:06 AM
LanceK
Pro

Mitch that is something I've considered.

I've driven the Excursion with the PowerStroke and liked it, but somehow it felt like too much truck. And this coming from someone who likes big trucks... Somehow the Suburban feels smaller and less bulky. I also prefer the styling and interior of the Suburban slightly more. The seats also seem much more supportive than the Ford.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:42 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lance,

I also recommend the Excursion because of the diesel factor. A racing friend just bought one for $10K off sticker; that was not even with fight to the death negotiating. But if you don't like it, you don't like it. The power is, well........it's like there is no trailer back there compared to my old '94 GMC 6.5TD. Expect 17-18mpg unloaded, 11-12 loaded.

So back to the Suburban. I'm sure you're only considering a 2500. You have to at least get that.

I do not believe there are any plans to put a Duramax in these; but that is only what I heard one year ago when I replaced my truck, and I have not kept current on this issue.

The 6.0 can't even be considered if you're going with an enclosed aero-brick that has a full-weight street car. Done that too many times in the past!

I have a really good friend who bought one of the first 8.1 Suburbans, and they haul a 30' toy box with a full weight 911 RSA. So that's a 12K rig. He's a real conservative guy and never goes above 60. Probably not over 55! (I don't tow fast either, one of my pet peeves.) When I considered going this route last year he showed me his fuel logs--7 towing, 11-12 cruising loaded up for ski trips and such. The only comparison to that I have is another friend in his Tahoe who gets 13 with a 5.7.

I'm sure he'd be happy to give you more insight if you want to go that way.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Also - look into the gears - 3.73 v 4.10. There's a tradeoff with towing capacity, gas mileage, and highway comfort...
Old 03-05-2004, 01:50 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Figure you are going to get between 8-12 with any gas engine.

I have dragged a 24' with a Cup car (say, 6500 on the outside) with both a 5.2 K1500 and a 6.0K2500HD. The Toy Truck would have exploded if it were not replaced. Horrible! The HD is a great truck, and at that weight is a very good choice. It might be a bit marginal at 8-10k though.

The Suburban is a nice vehicle. However, if you look at it from a purely practical standpoint, for hauling stuff to the track, a van is a much smarter option. Ease of loading and unloading is greater because of easier access. You might even be able to get the diesel in a van! You probably won't go that route, but a van IS a much better hauler.

Can't argue with the deisel idea though. Sorta wish I had one instead of my 6.8V10.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

For gas mileage comparison.
Wife has a Yukon Denali with the 6.0 engine and around town she gets 12mpg with a heavy foot. On the road it is around 15-16mpg. Towing an open trailer and car gets me just over 10mpg depending on the terrain.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I tow my race car with a 99 Dodge 2500 2wd Quad Cab. It has the 8L V10. Tows like a champ with my 2450 lb car on an open trailer. Gets about 9-10 mpg towing. Empty it gets 11- 12 mpg. Not really very good. For me it just fine I found used for cheap with only 40k on it a coupel year back. I don't daily drive it as it just uses too much gas.

Given what I use the truck for the 8.0L V10 is good engine. The smaller gas would work with my open trailer just fine, but would push the limits of a the 5.9L. The benefit i gas milage is minimal give that 90% of the trucks miles are towing. Diesel would have been better, but I could not justify the extra cost event used.

I have considered replacing this truck with a new 250/2500 series 4 door diesel 4wd so that I could also replace my Jeep Cherokee (use it for off-road duty), but have been scared away by their cost in the mid 30's. Maybe one day.

Bottom line is GET A BIG ENGINE... The stress level from towing my race with with my 4.0L I6 Jeep vs the 8L dodge is NO comparison. Much easier and worth the 9 mpg.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:57 PM
4master
Advanced

Lance,
FWIW, I just bought a Dodge 2500 Quad Cab with the 5.9 Cummins diesel (305HP and 555lb ft torque) because the Ford F150 Super Crew with the 5.4 V8 just could not handle towing my new (to me) 24' Pace Shadow. The F150 had a tow rating of 8000lbs, which was great with my open trailer but was terrible with the 24 footer. The Dodge has a 13,500 lb tow capacity plus the grunt needed to get things moving.
I admit I have not towed with it yet (Club Race at TWS will be first trip towing with the Dodge) but just got back from driving the truck from N.O. to Houston and back again (about 850 miles this week) and averaged 19MPG which should increase slightly as the truck gets broken in. I know someone who has the same truck, although a 4x4 and he tows a fifth-wheel livestock trailer and says he gets 13MPG all day long.
My advice: get a diesel or get the biggest gas engine and chassis you can live with but be prepared to spend big money on gas. In case you're wondering, diesel is between $1.49-$1.60 a gallon, whereas 87 regular is between $1.55-$1.70 in SE Louisiana.

Good luck - Scott
Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
LanceK
Pro

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I actually do like the Excursion. It's just that the Suburban edges it out with some small details I prefer.

On the 3.73 vs. 4.10 gears. Per the Chevy brochure it looks like the 4.10's buy you about 2,000 lbs. of towing capacity. Pretty good.

I would definately get the 2500 Suburban (6.0 not available in the 1500), and since I prefer it over the Excursion I thought maybe I could get the best of both worlds the 8.1. Although playing this game you never get good gas mileage, I am afraid of truly horrendous mileage from the 8.1. Although someone telling me the 8.1 gets within a mile or two of the 6.0 prompted me to post this thread.

If only Chevy offered the DuraMax in the Suburban...

I am still considering the Excursion with the Powerstroke and after reading these comments I'm leaning more towards the Ford.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:20 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lance, I have waited to respond for many reason, however I feel I MUST add my 2 cents as well. I drive a Yukon XL that is th etow vehicle and my daily driver, however I don't daily drive much. Just try this PLEASE! Go to a Nissan dealership and drive the Armada. 18 inch wheels, 305 hp/387 ft lbs torque. Tow capacity of 9100 lbs. Fold flat 3 rd row and 2nd row. DVD so you can watch your runs between sessions, power lift gate, all 3 rows have side curtain airbags, independent front and rea suspension. This is a beast in sheeps clothing. It will tow whatever you have with ease and it's great to drive around town. I had it up to 120 and it felt very stable. You might not want to do that on the test drive. Good luck, bang for the buck it's ALL there. 37, 500. That leaves enough to get more Pstuff...
Old 03-05-2004, 06:24 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lance, I have waited to respond for many reasons, however I feel I MUST add my 2 cents as well. I drive a Yukon XL that is the tow vehicle and my daily driver, however I don't daily drive much. Just try this PLEASE! Go to a Nissan dealership and drive the Armada. 18 inch wheels, 305 hp/387 ft lbs torque. Tow capacity of 9100 lbs. Fold flat 3 rd row and 2nd row. DVD so you can watch your runs between sessions, power lift gate, all 3 rows have side curtain airbags, independent front and rea suspension. This is a beast in sheeps clothing. It will tow whatever you have with ease and it's great to drive around town. I had it up to 120 and it felt very stable. You might not want to do that on the test drive. Good luck, bang for the buck it's ALL there. 37, 500. That leaves enough to get more Pstuff...
Old 03-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

Lance,
I bought an '03 Suburban 6.0 liter 2500 with a 3.73 diff. I too wanted something I could drive around town when needed, plus we have 2 labs. A van was an alternate choice.
I've been towing with it for one full season so far, that's about 12 4-6 hour oneway trips. I tow a 28 ft. box with a 944T and all the spares, wheels, ezup, tables, chairs, BBQ, etc. I usually do 70-80 mph often in hilly terrain with no problems at all and with power to spare. Miles per gallon at those speeds is 9-10.
Having said that, I did once use my friends F350 dually, and that was a pleasure to tow with, especially the final hill just before turning into the Watkins Glen entrance. The Suburban does huff alittle on that hill, but can still easily do the 55mph speed limit there.
The Suburban is just more practicle for my life style right now. If I were to get a truck, it would be the F350 turbo diesel dually.
Good luck.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:45 PM
LanceK
Pro

Sleder...

No worries on the Armada recommendation... It looks like a very formidable truck. I'm almost suspicious about the 9,100 lb towing capacity with an independent rear end. And then if I'm towing a 3,200 lb car in a 4,000 lb trailer plus say 1,000 lbs of tools etc. I feel like there isn't much breathing room.

Interestingly here are the towing capacities for the 2500 Suburban:

6.0 with 3.73 gears: 7,600 lbs
6.0 with 4.10 gears: 9,600 lbs

8.1 with 3.73 gears: 10,200
8.1 with 4.10 gears: 12,000

It's amazing that with a 6.0 liter engine and 4.10 gears you only get 500 lbs. more than the Armada. Maybe Chevy is conservative and Nissan is optimistic with their tow ratings? I'm not sure but I always like to have a little extra even if when not towing it's overkill. Of course driving a 320hp 996 on the road could be considered overkill too... Being a gearhead having the diesel is like ordering the performance package. It's just more interesting and has more personality than a "regular" motor.

* I have heard some rumours that Toyota may build a "Suburban like" vehicle along with it's soon to be introduced full-size pickups. If they did that and offered a diesel (Hino maybe?) that would be a truck to look at. But nobody knows much about the upcoming trucks nevermind whether this full-size rumour is true or not. I'm not in a serious rush but I can't wait 2 years either.

Maybe the way to go is a Powerstroke Excursion and then see what Toyota has up there sleeve?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:50 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bingo - I'm 3 months ahead of you and I bought the 8.1 Suburban with 4.10 rear end and I love it.

I got rid of an 03 Range Rover which has about the same HP & torque ratings as the 6.0 Suburban. I decided to give up the Rover after towing my full trailer (about 6,500 lbs) to CA and back. It was just too slow through the mountains and even on flat I-5 through CA where everyone goes 80+.

While the Suburban doesn't have the luxurious interior of the RR, it is very comfortable and the built in XM radio is great. It just acts like the trailer isn't even back there in all road conditions. I also like the longer wheel base when towing and I encourage you to pay attention to that when looking at some of the other vehicles suggested here. Even with a load distributing hitch you can feel a light front end if your tow vehicle is too short.

Gas mileage? I'm getting 12 during my mostly stop and go highway commute and 9-10 when towing a full trailer. This compares to the 14-15 I got most of the time in the RR (10-11 when towing). In the RR I had to burn premium gas and now it is regular, so my actual fuel costs are about the same per mile.

The Suburban is a real workhorse and, I think, a good addition. This is saying a lot from a guy who has always avoided American made vehicles.

Last edited by MarkPcar; 03-05-2004 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Suburban as a Tow Vehicle