Sponsored by:

RE: Post your favorite turns!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Ted Drake
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of west coast tracks.

Big Willow T8 tempts (and rightly so) you not to lift in 5th thru the right hand sweeper. This is followed by T9 a high speed 4th gear turn that I have maybe done right once and rarely the same twice.
T-2 is a long climbing right turns that require just a quick breathe at turn in.
Then full throttle in 4th to track out. It is a high speed track, even for my stock 3.2 powered early 911 which manages an avarage 97mph per lap.

At Laguna Seca I liked the corkscrew but most enjoyed T4, a 3rd gear right that allows early throttle. The lack of run off areas was evident.

California Speedway, not much else out there like a high speed NASCAR banked turn. T1 and T2 flat out in 5th for what feels like a very long time.

The Buttonwillow esses are fun as are several other linked turns on that track. Spring Mountain raceway T1 and T2 are nice long top of 3rd or 4th gear turns.

I hope to try the Las Vegas big track, Sears Point and Thunder hill this year.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For all of you guys in the Northeast, our region Hudson Valley Region is hosting an advanced drivers event on May 19/20 at WGI and will have 2 professional drivers (last year Boris Said & Bill Auberlin year before Cort Wagner and Kelly Collins) available for 1/2 hour driving sessions. This is an OPEN track event for white, black, red run group drivers (no run groups, drive when you want 8-5).

With that said, I have to say that WGI is my favorite track in the Northeast. I especially love:

Esses - I can't be flat out on entry, but once up the hill I'm flat out until the bus stop at almost 170mph.

NASCAR Turn 5 - get it right and it just pulls you from apex to track out at 100% power

Laces Turn 6 - Again, a late apex downhill turn.

In thinking about it more and reading other's favorite tracks it seems like many of the favorite turns are ones with the added dimension of elevation changes.

Turns I dislike

Uphill at LRP - I just can't seem to be consistent here not to mention my tire hit the qtr panel last year and ruined the paint.

Downhill at LRP - love the turn, but the bumps are terrible...Seems like they just haven't put their price gouging and $750 track repaving fee to use yet...

Quick Reply: RE: Post your favorite turns!