Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: Post your favorite turns!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 06:42 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, these guys are pretty darn accurate. What lat g's can you pull? If you are running Hoosiers, you should be above 1.25 lat g's. R compound should be close. Street, no way, but even then, 130 at 1.0 g’s in streets? Wow. I really do believe their numbers and have seen it done over and over with different cars on different tracks. They are accurate.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Theory looks a lot different from the driver's seat.

I run Hoosiers, and even fully puckered, I can't run 130 let alone 146 through the Kink.

There's also the problem of having a car that can accelerate from the low theoretical speed in 8 up to the theoretical entry speed of 9. Possibly in an Indy car or IMSA car, but not in F. Not even in a cheater car in F.

But it is an interesting chart to study.

When you (or anyone else reading this) do get to run Road America flat out, you might want to work your way up to those speeds.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic...
Old 03-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Color, theory speed is great but try that kind of speed in your street car, throw in some marbles hanging out on the outside of the turn and look out!
By no means am I an expert or even a good driver. When club racing, I am about 75mph going into the carsoul, squeezing on power to about 88mph at apex. This is in a full monoball set up 993 without race shocks and springs (PSS9's) and Hoosiers. Theory flies out the window when your *** is just begging to be kissed goodbye!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Mike in Chi

You couldn't in my car even if Fishman was driving.
Mike,
I don't think I want to be in any car that is doing that speed thru the kink.
I guess I should re-state my opinion on the kink. It is my favorite because it hasn't claimed me as a victim, like it has so many of my friends and co-racers.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's say Favorite Track Segments -

- The Esses at the Glen, without a doubt. Flat to the floor from Turn 1 for nearly 3/4 of a mile! Super intimidating with 4-high Armco surrounding you in that unique and radiant blue tone. Perhaps the most photographed and recognizable track segment in motorsports next to the Corkscrew.

- Turns 8,9 &10 at Mosport. Screaming in from the back straight into the super fast Turn 8 right sweeper. Keep your courage up and your foot to the floor. The brake/shift zone is still in the turn and is REALLY difficult to get right at the last possible second. DON'T GET YOUR FEET TANGLED! 9 is an immediate 90 degree left and 10 is another immediate 90 degree right onto the front straight. It's a real workout!!

- Turns 4, 5A, and 5B at Mosport. Screaming into the off camber valley of 4, then jamb a heel/toe at the bottom, hit the hill and fly over the crest of 5A, gun the throttle for a split second after the car lands, then jamb another heel/toe to second, crank the wheel right and floor the gas to get out of 5B and onto the back straight. VIOLENT!!!

- Uphill Esses, South Bend, & Oak Tree at VIR. World Cup Downhill Skiing... except uphill! Fast, open, flowing, gut-check, then violent at the hairpin. Wahooo!

- Madness at Mid Ohio. The name says it all!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:05 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

By the way, Z;

Brian is right about the Esses. Getting to the curb in 2 early scrubs speed. Go WAY wide entering 2, wander in VERY gradually, and when you meet the base of the hill, meet the apex. When the guard rail on your right ends (safety vehicle cutout), move IMMEDIATELY to the left curb for 3 and hold it.

A VERY esoteric trick for ultra speed onto the back straight is to only hold the 3 curb until you can see past the bridge. Then release the wheel and let the car cross as though you think you're going to hit the Armco at the horizon on the right going over the bridge. You won't!

You want NO lateral g-force at all going over the bridge. If the car feels like it is floating as you cross the bridge, you did it right. EXCEEDINGLY subtle, but amazingly effective. I learned this from a buddy in the same car. Could see him gain 3-4 car lengths on me in the space of this 100 feet.

Pilot Emeritus!!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

My favorites:

Turn 1 at Road Atlanta
Turn 5 at Road Atlanta
South Bend at VIR
Turn 1 at Lowes MS
Turn 5 at Roebling Road
Turn 8 at Kershaw

all of which I feel I always left something on the table and probably always will but not for a lack of effort.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by RedlineMan
- Uphill Esses, South Bend, & Oak Tree at VIR. World Cup Downhill Skiing... except uphill! Fast, open, flowing, gut-check, then violent at the hairpin. Wahooo!
[/b]
What a great analogy! Although I think it's more like downhill except with the breakaway poles that get used in slalom. If you aren't using ALL of the track and most of the curbing, I don't know how you could go flat out through there. Of course, I don't know if I could can go flat out either - I decided to wait until the morning of the last day of the event to try. Hmm, maybe I should have tried on the warm days.

- Madness at Mid Ohio. The name says it all!!! [/B]
Totally! Although, I also like Turn 1 up to the keyhole.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Greg

I think the 2nd most intimidating/sobering/thought-provoking sight at any track I've been to is the rainbow of color on the inside wall in the Kink. Thousands, if not tens of thousands to apply each color swatch.

The most intimidating/sobering/thought-provoking sight is the catch fencing patches eight feet off the ground just past track out.

Brian, Adam, John
Sounds like I gotta get to VIR

I'm not saying a word (jinx) about Road Atlanta (jinx) and the hill (jinx) -- I hope to be there next month.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:00 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

Originally posted by Mike in Chi
146 through the kink?

You can't in my car.
146 through the kink...eh...dont know about that one...not in a coutach that is for sure. I was on a stock suspension on my 89 turbo with hoosiers last season and I am by no means the best driver out there but not a poor one by any means and I could probably apex out of the carosaul at about 95mph but 110 is all i will play with until i track out at the kink. Now with a suspension this season I will play with a few more mph but 146 is crazy! I dont know about the whole theoretical speed stuff. When you see those walls close in on you going through there you will think twice maybe even three times about trying to hot shoe 146mph through the kink. Maybe I am just a bit chicken through the kink because I have seen two cars taken right in front of me there but that one corner is the one I am very cautious in at Road America!
Old 03-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by RedlineMan
By the way, Z;

Brian is right about the Esses. Getting to the curb in 2 early scrubs speed. Go WAY wide entering 2, wander in VERY gradually, and when you meet the base of the hill, meet the apex. When the guard rail on your right ends (safety vehicle cutout), move IMMEDIATELY to the left curb for 3 and hold it.

A VERY esoteric trick for ultra speed onto the back straight is to only hold the 3 curb until you can see past the bridge. Then release the wheel and let the car cross as though you think you're going to hit the Armco at the horizon on the right going over the bridge. You won't!

You want NO lateral g-force at all going over the bridge. If the car feels like it is floating as you cross the bridge, you did it right. EXCEEDINGLY subtle, but amazingly effective. I learned this from a buddy in the same car. Could see him gain 3-4 car lengths on me in the space of this 100 feet.

Pilot Emeritus!!
I'll have to give that a try. The line I was taught (that I described) did get me through that section quicker than before.
FWIW, here's my track notes from the Glen last summer:
Pick up yellow line on right side of track before turn 2 asap. Hug this line w/ right tires up through apex. You will need to turn in more as you approach the apex. Stay on right, hugging the yellow line as you approach turn 3. Then, pick up yellow line on left side of the track, again well before the apex cone. Follow line with left tires all the way up to the apex. At apex, GET STRAIGHT. That should aim you towards turn 4. No need to 'hug the line' at turn 4, but definately hit the apex and track out points.

-Z.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:14 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Guys, you are great. Let me please clarify ... I AM NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE TRY THOSE SPEEDS! They are strictly theoretical and accurate ... how fast can the turns be taken in a well set up car that can pull those g's. The model does not account for vertical loading or track problems (bumps, fluids ...). So, the numbers shown are theoretical maximums. Now, could Schumi do the kink near 130 in my Countach and through the Carousel at 107 maybe, but could I?

Would I even try? Hell (I want to live) No!

Now, I can come close to some of their other speeds on other turns so, I really think they are close. I will ask them about dead nuts accuracy or other mitigating factors (like suspension, set-up, ...)

I wish I could talk lines at other courses like you guys but no gots the experience! Hell, I don't even know Gingerman well.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:18 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

I think you need to clarify what you think is a "well set up car." As far as I know it I havent seen anyone with my own two eyes drive 140+mph through the kink in even really well set up cars.....Theoretical or not, like you stated a lot more factors go into those speeds then those calculations show and no matter what anyone says 140mph throught he kink in a "well setup" street car is crazy!
Old 03-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

My top three favorite turns or segments are:

Mid Ohio: Madness

Watkins Glen: Esses

Nurburgring Nordschliefe: Wippermann-Escbach-Brunnchen

I like elevation change, either up or down
Old 03-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Here goes:

VIR - Been said but: Esses, Southbend and Hog Pen. Feeding more and more power through the esses is thrilling and culminates in throwing the car into Southbend. Hog Pen keeps me on the edge of my seat.

CMP - Carousel (5,6,7) and turns 11 and 12. I haven't found the limit in the carousel. 11 and 12 have that feeling of wrapping the car around the turn.

Roebling - Turns 4 through 7. Mostly because I've been known to try to go directly from 4 to 7 without 5 and 6. My attempts have failed thanks to the kitty litter and a short stint driving backwards out of 4. Of course there's that tire barrier in the way too. I haven't gotten up close and personal with that.

Lowes - turn 5 (if you use the 3a,b and 4a,b labels) or the left hander before entering the oval at Nascar 1. You know you are getting faster when the walls get closer and you feel like you're driving through a toll booth.

Quick Reply: RE: Post your favorite turns!