Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a Cayman for track car, opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 06:45 PM
Chris P Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 57 Posts

You should have kept the Spec E46, I have one. I also just sold the best 987.2 GTB1 car available, and bought a 718 GT4. Your budget is not realistic.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P Lewis
You should have kept the Spec E46, I have one. I also just sold the best 987.2 GTB1 car available, and bought a 718 GT4. Your budget is not realistic.
Wait so i should have kept it because you have one? Thanks for your car history and while i did ask for opinions my budget is absolutely realistic.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:54 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
while i did ask for opinions my budget is absolutely realistic.
pls show us the track cayman you find for 30k lol

Old 11-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fumes
pls show us the track cayman you find for 30k lol

All PDK cars under $30k, and that was just a quick filter. I'm sure if i looked at other sites there are many more. I have a seat and belts but really just need some fluid and pads, maybe tires.
Remember i asked for advice and said i wanted a fun weekend track Cayman. If the car needs cooling, diff, full brakes, exhaust then yeah $30k won't work but don't just shoot me down with the dumb popcorn gif.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1146616
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1167320
Old 11-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
All PDK cars under $30k, and that was just a quick filter. I'm sure if i looked at other sites there are many more. I have a seat and belts but really just need some fluid and pads, maybe tires.
Remember i asked for advice and said i wanted a fun weekend track Cayman. If the car needs cooling, diff, full brakes, exhaust then yeah $30k won't work but don't just shoot me down with the dumb popcorn gif.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1146616
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1167320
dude relax. I wasn't shooting you down. corn icon is 'interested in watching the thread' if someone shoots you down it;ll be w rolleyes lol

Yes a 987.1 or early .2 donor car w pdk can be had for 30k or a bit less - esp if a 2.7 is ok with you. but that is still a LONG way from a safe/decent handling/reliable track car. seats and harnesses good.... but look you asked for opinions on this -- RLers are speaking from experience with these cars neither chris nor me are trying to blow you up we're trying to manage your expectations my friend. a number of us run GTB1 Caymans which are developed to a ridiculous degree (think 991 Cup car money) because the class is so damn competitive its a bloody arms race

so to your question -- you get donor for 25k - then from stock, what about a bar to connect your harnesses to? are they and your seat current? and to avoid ice pedal you need a diff MC and the 996 booster, external trans cooling or the pdk will go south FAST, fresh rubber to run to see how the car works, and then once you're quick you will absolutely destroy tires because stock suspension pushes like crazy so then you're into LCAs, toelinks, and dont forget swaybars if you want to get rid of the big stock body roll -- and that's just the beginning...

look if you're a sunday DE type who just wants to play around, a bone stock car will work. but just saying you're quite experienced so...not for long

wish you the absolute best of luck and post up where you land and what you add to the stable!
Old 11-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fumes
dude relax. I wasn't shooting you down. corn icon is 'interested in watching the thread' if someone shoots you down it;ll be w rolleyes lol

Yes a 987.1 or early .2 donor car w pdk can be had for 30k or a bit less - esp if a 2.7 is ok with you. but that is still a LONG way from a safe/decent handling/reliable track car. seats and harnesses good.... but RLers are speaking from experience with these cars we're not trying to blow you up we're trying to manage your expectations my friend.

from stock, what about a bar to connect your harnesses to? and to avoid ice pedal you need a diff MC and the 996 booster, external trans cooling or the pdk will go south FAST, fresh rubber to run to see how the car works, and then once you're quick you will absolutely destroy tires because stock suspension pushes like crazy so then you're into LCAs, toelinks, and dont forget swaybars if you want to get rid of the big stock body roll -- and that's just the beginning...

look if you're a sunday DE type who just wants to play around, a bone stock car will work. but just saying you're quite experienced so...not for long

wish you the absolute best of luck and post up where you land and what you add to the stable!
thanks and sorry i misunderstood, that popcorn gets me going on any car forum i guess. I'm going to drive a few cars this weekend and see what i think. Your post is exactly what i want to see, seems like lots of areas for fix for the car to be fun, lap after lap. This race car i just sold was super reliable and fun with very little cost in consumables. Track owner has 2 new Caymans i can drive as well to see the difference $50k makes.
Appreciate the reply.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:55 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

caymans are fun track cars.
there are street prepped track cars out there, at what price they vary.
i've seen normal caymans range from $27k-$42k on average lately.
2006-2012.
track mods can be $5k to 10K add ons.
caymans are still one of the cheaper cars to run and work on, but that's just me.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

If you are looking for a PDK car, you are looking for 2009 - 2012. The weak point on the 2009 is the oil pump, which has been upgraded for 2010+. The 2009 oil pump can be upgraded to the 2010+ standard. You won't have to upgrade the brakes unless you are running true slicks and the PDK should have the third center radiator as standard. No oiling mods to worry about. PDKs fail at times and they are costly to exchange. They cannot be repaired. I'm sure you can find a high mileage car for your budget but from my personal experience good cars cost significantly more.

The 2006 - 2008 cars are well within your budget but PDK was not available yet at that time. Those cars require significant oiling and cooling mods and don't like to be over-reved.

You'll be surprised about the cost of maintenance and consumables cost in comparison to your BMW. Let us know where you come out.
The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (11-07-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 08:52 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Depending on what you really *want* in a street/track car, budget could be totally realistic. I bought my base '11 last Feb to be a street/track car, only mods I did were GT3 front control arms (you'll def. want some front camber) and stiffer/lower PASM springs (which required a 10mm spacer up front and replacing the 13mm spring isolator in back with a 6mm one to fix ride height). Had a blast tracking it this year!
I'd stick with 987.2 for the more suitable engine. Non-S will save you thousands of $$$$ if you can live with 2.9 liters... PDK may be risky. But then again I bought a 6-speed manual and *it* went south, hadda buy a $5500 Porsche reman...
Extensive PPI is your friend of course!

Oh yeah, 240Z, I had one o' those that I should never have let go... Had a 3.1 liter built for it, headwork and big cam and triple 45mm carbs, made 255rwhp. Maybe we could trade yer Z for my Cayman
Old 11-06-2019, 10:11 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
If you are looking for a PDK car, you are looking for 2009 - 2012. The weak point on the 2009 is the oil pump, which has been upgraded for 2010+. The 2009 oil pump can be upgraded to the 2010+ standard.
Does this oil pump apply to the 2.9 6 speed 2009 cars or pdk only? Is it a PDK pump?

For a data point for the OP, I track a 2009 base Cayman 6 speed, car was $24K with 62K miles, then added Ohlins road and track, tarett sway bars and drop links, 3rd rad, seats harnesses and roll bar, camber plates and monoball tops for rear, rear toe arms and front bumpsteer tie rod arms, gt3 arms and shims with tarett monoball ends, I'm probably forgetting some, and while I brought some over from my old track boxster, some spread out over several years and some bought specifically for the Cayman, it added around another $10K (yikes I never added it up before and I don't think I fully did now.. ). Car has 70K miles now and I'm loving it :-)
The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 12:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by steved0x
Does this oil pump apply to the 2.9 6 speed 2009 cars or pdk only? Is it a PDK pump?
it :-)
2009 Cayman S engine oil pump
Old 11-07-2019, 04:08 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by C-gt3
caymans are fun track cars.
there are street prepped track cars out there, at what price they vary.
i've seen normal caymans range from $27k-$42k on average lately.
2006-2012.
track mods can be $5k to 10K add ons.
caymans are still one of the cheaper cars to run and work on, but that's just me.
Agree. 09 or later Cayman s, pdk. Ideal driver's car for track.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:27 AM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by steved0x

For a data point for the OP, I track a 2009 base Cayman 6 speed, car was $24K with 62K miles, then added Ohlins road and track, tarett sway bars and drop links, 3rd rad, seats harnesses and roll bar, camber plates and monoball tops for rear, rear toe arms and front bumpsteer tie rod arms, gt3 arms and shims with tarett monoball ends, I'm probably forgetting some, and while I brought some over from my old track boxster, some spread out over several years and some bought specifically for the Cayman, it added around another $10K (yikes I never added it up before and I don't think I fully did now.. ). Car has 70K miles now and I'm loving it :-)
GREAT question. I doubt very much I know as much as the individual who answered your original question BUT if I were a betting man I’d bet it’s the same pump regardless of S or non S. Both variants share so many components it’s mind boggling. Hell, the only difference in the damn brakes (discs) between S and non S second gen is the non S brakes are SLIGHTLY thinner. They are the same diameter. ALL the transmissions are the same for both variants as well as the water pumps just to name 2 things off the top.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ng-his-cr.html
Old 11-07-2019, 11:48 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

2009’s CS, first gen DFI’s, also experienced issues with HPFP (high pressure fuel pumps). Those pumps have been updated, several times since ‘09.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a Cayman for track car, opinions wanted!