Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone completely lost interest in their street car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,497 Likes on 2,559 Posts

Originally Posted by box
Read the post again, carefully.
I did. Read my post again, carefully.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:51 AM
box
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I did. Read my post again, carefully.
Ok Officer, I’ll slow down.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

box discussing his morning commute:

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bull****. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cory M:
box (10-11-2019), DTMiller (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Driving fast on street - no lap timers; fully insured - what could be safer?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:10 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Driving fast on street - no lap timers; fully insured - what could be safer?
This is an excellent point.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by box
Ok Officer, I’ll slow down.
I speak from the experience of doing what you advocate. Despite trying hard to be careful while going fast on the street, I had some scary moments with cars pulling out of driveways, cars stopped on the road, etc. It's easy to be overconfident and I concluded that what I was doing was dumb, so I learned to limit my exuberant street driving to the few locations where I can be sure the risks are very low (good sight distance, no driveways or cross-roads, etc.).
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
box (10-11-2019), phefner (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 05:04 PM
mwneedham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a street 964 C2 coupe for 10 years and did DE's with it. Decided it was too nice and bought a 964 3.8 C2 dedicated track car. Kept both for a year......then sold the street 964.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:47 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I speak from the experience of doing what you advocate. Despite trying hard to be careful while going fast on the street, I had some scary moments with cars pulling out of driveways, cars stopped on the road, etc. It's easy to be overconfident and I concluded that what I was doing was dumb, so I learned to limit my exuberant street driving to the few locations where I can be sure the risks are very low (good sight distance, no driveways or cross-roads, etc.).
Well, let me say that I am not advocating my driving style and if I gave that impression I retract same.

I am simply saying that I drive my 911 like the race car that it is. This isn't easy on the streets, it takes a huge amount of attention and care. It really isn't unlike flying airplanes, which I also do. A slight misstep can kill you, along with others; taking risks is not a part of this equation. When you think about it, those risks are eliminated on the track.

You are absolutely correct when you say "...limit my exuberant street driving to the few locations where I can be sure the risks are very low (good sight distance, no driveways or cross-roads, etc." You don't always drive like you are on the track, but since you drive your 911 daily, you get ample opportunities to do so. That is the joy of this car, at least to me.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by box
Well, let me say that I am not advocating my driving style and if I gave that impression I retract same.

I am simply saying that I drive my 911 like the race car that it is. This isn't easy on the streets, it takes a huge amount of attention and care. It really isn't unlike flying airplanes, which I also do. A slight misstep can kill you, along with others; taking risks is not a part of this equation. When you think about it, those risks are eliminated on the track.

You are absolutely correct when you say "...limit my exuberant street driving to the few locations where I can be sure the risks are very low (good sight distance, no driveways or cross-roads, etc." You don't always drive like you are on the track, but since you drive your 911 daily, you get ample opportunities to do so. That is the joy of this car, at least to me.
You originally said: "I have to laugh at this thread. My 911 is my 'street car' because as far as I am concerned, every street is a track." In my area, there are pretty much no streets where it's safe to drive anywhere near the limits of the car for more than a few seconds here and there.

I don't see how you think you're not taking risks when driving on the street, flying planes, and driving on the track (do you have track experience?). There are ALWAYS risks.

A 911 street car isn't a race car. The difference is apparent when you drive an actual race car.

Last edited by Manifold; 10-12-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

You originally said: "I have to laugh at this thread. My 911 is my 'street car' because as far as I am concerned, every street is a track." In my area, there are pretty much no streets where it's safe to drive anywhere near the limits of the car for more than a few seconds here and there.

I don't see how you think you're not taking risks when driving on the street, flying planes, and driving on the track (do you have track experience). There are ALWAYS risks.

A 911 street car isn't a race car. The difference is apparent when you drive an actual race car.
just disengage from the troll
Old 10-12-2019, 09:49 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

After street driving and D.E in my 997RS from 2009-2015, I decided to move into a 2016 GT4 Clubsport instead of the road going 2016 GT3RS. (It was time for a full cage car).

I have not felt the need to have the latest greatest D.E/street car ever since.
I still have my 997RS which I have been slowly putting back to stock. I occassionly use it for communting and I like to drive it in anger once and awhile. They are nice 911s to own even if rarely used.

With the focus on race car, you could care less about a new street car even as nice as they are. (once you had hard drugs, the soft drugs just dont cut it anymore).

That being said, i dabble in vintage Porsches which i enjoy using on the street. (More of a side hobby to the racing hobby) But i still enjoy wringing their necks on the street as they are not as fast as the new stuff so you can enjoy them more at the limit on the street compared to the new stuff. They keep the street driving experience "interesting".

If i were D.E only, I would be in 991RS and use it for everything.
But now that im racing with a track car, i am totally satisfied with a beater street car.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:38 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

There's no excuse for speeding on public roads, yet it happens all the time. Look at the sales of radar detectors, YouTube videos and interstate traffic.

It's crazy how many drivers think they have the skills to drive at high speeds. Two motorcyclists, driving way over the posted limit, have been killed in front of my house after they lost control and struck trees.

I will admit to a hard acceleration in 2nd gear, when there's an open straight, good sight lines and no traffic, every so often. These machines are so quick, you can start to lose it very fast, so you need to beware.

Go to a track or controlled environment event to go fast, you will become a better driver.

I'm headed to my second 2-day track session middle of next month and another one, 3-days, in May.

The following 2 users liked this post by BSO:
Manifold (10-12-2019), stownsen914 (10-13-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:52 PM
mwneedham
Instructor

Think I would rather be on track with the green group than on public streets with Box.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:27 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Quad,
You may appreciate a thread I started back in 2015.

Does track/AX/DE day make you feel like any car is just fine for street driving?
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...t-driving.html
Old 10-19-2019, 10:40 AM
tvr-4
Instructor

Used to have a 911 Turbo that I felt I could not drive for what it was built on the street. Sold it for a track car after 3 DEs and never looked back.

Anyone trying to justify pushing a car on a public road is a self-absorbed *******, who I hope only kills themselves and not an innocent bystander.

Quick Reply: Has anyone completely lost interest in their street car?