Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone completely lost interest in their street car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 12:13 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Never drive the street P cars anymore. Hate stick in traffic. Hate not going fast. Hate cops everywhere. Hate pot holes. Hate speed cameras. Hate wondering if some ahole is going to be in my lane as I round the next blind corner.

Cars & coffee? Boring. Group drive, God no.

One in garage I haven't started it in over a year. The one outside I took to lunch, the bank and a carwash. Three months ago. Its dirty again. Can't sell, this one has rare pccb. Can't sell, that one was my dads.

Used to race NASCAR... Never did autocross. Did lots of DE training the gf until she was ready to race, then went back to racing in pca. Gf got bored (or frustrated she wasnt winning?) so she doesnt race much anymore. I sometimes still race my P cars when there is a chance for competition (too bad pca ruined E class).

But street driving in the P cars sucks.
Ask your doctor if it's right for you.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:51 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles

Been on that for 30 years
Old 07-20-2019, 01:13 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles

I've been on this for about 2 years now. I have noticed a side effect where I spend a lot of money on car parts and track days.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:46 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m in the same boat. Just got back from 2 days at the glen and have a bruise on my left leg from bracing on the door trying to stay in the seat. I don’t really enjoy driving on the streets especially outside of boston with all the crazy people on their phones. So I’m thinking about my options for a race seat and harness which will limit the ability to drive on the street. Maybe i need to look at an old convertible for the street. Days of driving fast on the street are over, especially with how fast modern cars are.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 404 Posts

I haven't been drinking the Porsche Kool-Aid as long as many of you, I suspect. But I definitely get what you're saying. I have tried several Porsches and found myself saying that I felt like a jerk for not loving driving a "Porsche 911."

My first Porsche, a 981 CS in MT, turns out to be my favorite. It feels like my idea of driving a "sportscar." It's plenty fast for me on the street, handles like a dream, sounds better than my GT4 (which I love, don't get me wrong), and has a value that encourages me to put as many miles on it as possible without fretting.

Other Porsches:

997 TT in PTS Meissen Blue with (Fuchs-like) Sport Classic wheels...but PDK, which I found boooring on the street (car now sits in P. Zuckerman's collection)... I likened it to a dumb blonde--gorgeous to look at but not much upstairs.

991.1 C4S with X-51 Powerkit, PDCC, and all the performance AND luxury options ... but PDK...so too grand touring, not enough sportscar.

993 C2...more modern version of childhood dream...stunningly gorgeous to look at...fun to drive because it's just not that fast, so going 60-70 becomes an event. Great smells and decent sounds (all stock so far) but it has some gremlins and I am not mechanically inclined so beholden to paying up to fix stuff that shouldn't need fixing (probably an oxymoron for a 24-YO car, but it's still got fewer than 40k on the clock).

Would love to try a Spyder in 987 or 981 guise ... but truthfully, not really a cab guy.

I've been thinking about a GTI or Golf R and would be curious to hear people's thoughts on the differences. I generally like AWD for DD cars but R is likely an extra 15 grand. (I've always been an Audi guy and have a 2014 S4, but I find it wholly uninspiring, though it's incredibly reliable and a great go-anywhere, do-anything car.)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:50 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

My friend bought a GTi, he couldn't see the value of the R given the $15k price delta.

I drove both and bought the R. The extra power is easily felt but I bought it more for the awd. Even with the limited slip diff in the GTi it still did "one wheel peel" out of corners and I hate that.

The R is just planted, everywhere and it doesn't understeer like the GTi. You do lose the sunroof, but you get the digital dash.

I've had mine a month and 1200 miles and so far, so good.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:49 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Never drive the street P cars anymore. Hate stick in traffic. Hate not going fast. Hate cops everywhere. Hate pot holes. Hate speed cameras. Hate wondering if some ahole is going to be in my lane as I round the next blind corner.

Cars & coffee? Boring. Group drive, God no.

One in garage I haven't started it in over a year. The one outside I took to lunch, the bank and a carwash. Three months ago. Its dirty again. Can't sell, this one has rare pccb. Can't sell, that one was my dads.

Used to race NASCAR... Never did autocross. Did lots of DE training the gf until she was ready to race, then went back to racing in pca. Gf got bored (or frustrated she wasnt winning?) so she doesnt race much anymore. I sometimes still race my P cars when there is a chance for competition (too bad pca ruined E class).

But street driving in the P cars sucks.
so what do you drive on the street? what did you run in nascar? If you dont race or drive what do you do for the fix or are you over it?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:22 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

sold my street car, bought a cup

Old 07-22-2019, 01:09 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
so what do you drive on the street? what did you run in nascar? If you dont race or drive what do you do for the fix or are you over it?
Saturday night local NASCAR Late Model Stock (pavement) on east coast, Virginia and the Carolinas. Denny Hamlin once put me in the wall at South Boston Speedway (track near VIR) - my ignition failed going into a turn...

Bought the gf an S6 last year. She didnt like it because too big and bad mpg, so bought her a little BMW 320ix. Now S6 is my cruiser. Executive rocketship. 500hp. AWD. Paddles are fun sometimes. Great highway car and plenty comfy in city traffic.

Can't get a fix on the street. Can't get a fix at DE. Only way I can get a fix is racing against someone faster than me. Going to Brainerd this weekend. Then Summit Point in September. Dan Martinson will be at those events. We did Rennsport and Sonoma last fall.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:00 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Saturday night local NASCAR Late Model Stock (pavement) on east coast, Virginia and the Carolinas. Denny Hamlin once put me in the wall at South Boston Speedway (track near VIR) - my ignition failed going into a turn...

Bought the gf an S6 last year. She didnt like it because too big and bad mpg, so bought her a little BMW 320ix. Now S6 is my cruiser. Executive rocketship. 500hp. AWD. Paddles are fun sometimes. Great highway car and plenty comfy in city traffic.

Can't get a fix on the street. Can't get a fix at DE. Only way I can get a fix is racing against someone faster than me. Going to Brainerd this weekend. Then Summit Point in September. Dan Martinson will be at those events. We did Rennsport and Sonoma last fall.

https://youtu.be/MupTzWQm0kg

Sweet, late models seem like a fun time. Good luck this weekend.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Neat to see some of the responses.

I have been tracking cars since 2002. I had a 2001 BMW that I bought new. Didn't want to damage it so I bought a beater car to fix up to be used for tracking. It was then when I stopped really caring about having a fast car for the streets.

I kept my BMW as my nice stock car (still have it today. Most people are shocked at how nice of shape it is in even today), bought a 1997 Honda Accord wagon 5-spd (pretty rare) to use as a daily driver. As it needed work, I started upgrading parts on it. It now has a hodge-podge of Acura CL and Honda Prelude parts on it to make it more fun to drive. People laugh, but I have a blast in it just ripping around town in it. lol

I have a dedicated 996 C2 track car for my fun car.

I also enjoy buying cars that need work, fixing them up, and taking them to the track as well.

I have zero interest in any of the newer cars. I have never been into these high-HP cars with all this new technology..
Old 07-22-2019, 09:18 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 832 Likes on 418 Posts

DD is an Audi RS3. It’s a fun car that I enjoy driving. Weekend car is a 2016 Viper ACR that I DE occasionally too. That car puts a smile on my face every time I see it it, let alone drive it. The envelope is so high that you can’t come close to the limit on the street. But I don’t care, it’s still dang fun. If you’ve lost interest in street cars, maybe it’s time for an upgrade.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
My friend bought a GTi, he couldn't see the value of the R given the $15k price delta.

I drove both and bought the R. The extra power is easily felt but I bought it more for the awd. Even with the limited slip diff in the GTi it still did "one wheel peel" out of corners and I hate that.

The R is just planted, everywhere and it doesn't understeer like the GTi. You do lose the sunroof, but you get the digital dash.

I've had mine a month and 1200 miles and so far, so good.
I am like your friend. But, it is doubly the case where I live that the R would be too much. I am very happy with my SE with the DSG. Best car I have ever owned by far

And, as not yet mentioned, it comes with a lap timer! That means I can go FLAT OUT through my neighborhood on the 25 mph roads between here and my office.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:32 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Very interesting thread. My car interests have ebbed and flowed...but some remained constant.

Started racing in the 90s. Autocrossed once, time trialed a handful of times, then dove deep in W2W racing. Did alright in club racing. Thought I’d catch up to M. Schumacher’s career until I raced with career-aspiring racers. Mid-pack at best. Once into W2W, my cars were either race karts/open wheel cars along with wagons/SUVs/stock 911s. No supercar, hypercar, trackday cars.

Focused on business career in 00s and no racing even as a hobby. Still no supercar/hypercar/trackday cars. Still had wagons/SUVs/street 911s depending on daily functional/family needs. Also for a bit of time got into open-top 80s Italian cars of my childhood. I think DE’s started becoming popular in 00s; tried it once. No thanks. The idea of getting permission from the driver ahead of you to pass (by sticking his/her arm out the window while on a race track!) only on designated sections was not something I got into.

Got back into W2W racing in late 00s. This time, racing was more about having fun with the right car and friends. So I gravitated more to historic race cars with race friends (which, by the way, I think are the best car guys IMO. More down to earth when it comes to what they drive, etc.). Car-wise, I focused on “street-registerable” historic race cars along with a Porsche street car for daily use.

Though I haven’t raced in last 4 years (due to other interests), I still have a race car and am open to getting another one. Street daily is an old 911; I’m finding that life’s too short to drive boring cars even in the street. I like the older ones as they are engaging even if not breaking public street limits. For more cargo or passenger space, there’s Uber, Turo and other family members’ cars. Still no hypercar, supercar, trackday car. If I can help it, a street 911 and race cars only on my side of the garage. Lastly, no offsite garage; this is the kiss of death as one of previous posts mentioned. Lol.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
DD is an Audi RS3. It’s a fun car that I enjoy driving. Weekend car is a 2016 Viper ACR that I DE occasionally too. That car puts a smile on my face every time I see it it, let alone drive it. The envelope is so high that you can’t come close to the limit on the street. But I don’t care, it’s still dang fun. If you’ve lost interest in street cars, maybe it’s time for an upgrade.
I'm not sure an upgrade is the answer. I've spent more time thinking about this, and I think part of the problem is time. Even without kids, I don't have the time to go take the 993 for a ride up through the good roads remotely close to my house (about 45 min away). Nor do I have the inclination to wake up at 6am on a sunday to go do it without traffic. Maybe if I lived in a less congested area it would be easier.

I had a 997 turbo for about four years and while I liked it, I never really loved it. Too fast, too clinical, and too capable to really be fun on the street.

Quick Reply: Has anyone completely lost interest in their street car?