Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone completely lost interest in their street car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts
Default Has anyone completely lost interest in their street car?

So I've been doing regular DEs for about the last three years with my 986. Being an older car that I bought in stock form and developed quite a bit, I've spent a lot of time and energy on it. My buddies are now in the process of buying a car to race AER.

All the while, I have a beautiful, engaging 993TT sitting in my garage that I never use. Drove it maybe twice this year. Its not a low mile garage queen either.

I don't have any urge to go on "canyon run" style drives anymore and its just easier to get in my cayenne to go somewhere.

I still like the 993 and don't really wanna sell it, but I just have no interest in "fun" street driving. Nor do I care about any of the latest/greatest street performance cars.

Do any of you guys who track regularly still like going on fun drives on the street, or is street driving just for the mundane at this point?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:14 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Haven't owned a street Porsche in years ...
Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Funny you should bring this up. I have the 997 in my sig sitting in my garage, i put may be 1k to 1500 miles a year on it. I have been thinking is it better to have the nice street car or track car. I do like blasting around in it once in a while but then again i find myself exceeding speed limits that i shouldn't. If this thread doesnt take off i may ask race/track car vs street car

In regards to the interest in latest performance cars, its not that i lost interest but i feel where are you going with all that power. I see people in some crazy sports cars, may be they like pulling up to a restaurant in them. i was actually thinking of buying an older vintage car with less speed to roam around town in.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:23 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

I enjoy driving my 996 Turbo and would drive it more often if I had covered parking at work. Since I don't, it's relegated to a fun weekend car. I like having it but it doesn't see much mileage because it's not a DD. I've never been interested in "canyon runs", that's just an easy way for something horrible to happen.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:26 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes.. My Battery goes dead after a month of sitting in my streetcar... That being said, Every time I get in it.. the battery is dead.. Pretty much just drive it to the PCA meetings and that's it. After being on the track, the street is boring.. The street is just a means to get to the next track...
Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Having a 911 in my garage makes me smile, driving it on the street/highway leaves me wanting. Hitting the track gets my rocks off. I live for track days!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
FastCarSlo (10-19-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Just sell it.

993 TT is a rare and beautiful that someone will enjoy.Send it to a new home and free up some garage space. I have a street legal GT3 car that spends most of its days in its garage. Because it sits on a trailer, it’s a hassle to pull it out. Shod on Hoosier R7 tires, I Have to change tires before street driving. I hate changing tires. Regardless, I can live with this. The track weekends more than make up for any lack of street driving.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a track E46 M3. My DD is a Ford Focus ST. I had a base 991 but never drove and ended up trading it in to get wife a new X5.

I rarely go more than 1-2 mph over speed limit in my normal travels.

Track car satisfies my need for speed. The Focus is more comfortable than the 911 was, though I miss driving it and the sounds it made.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Totally hear you, sold all the nice street cars and bought a GTI as that's all I need for street duty.

Took the funds and bought/built a SpecE46 and race that with NASA & BMWCCA. I also run an E36 AER car and do the Champ races in an E30 BMW. I have a lot more fun '"racing" than driving anything on the street. Plus, I live in Baltimore where the streets are complete **** and traffic is terrible so a GTI DSG is perfect for me.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

I hear you! Haven't driven a real street Porsche in years but just bought a 1992 C2 to do just that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
dan212 (07-17-2019), GentlemanRacer (10-14-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Totally hear you, sold all the nice street cars and bought a GTI as that's all I need for street duty.

Took the funds and bought/built a SpecE46 and race that with NASA & BMWCCA. I also run an E36 AER car and do the Champ races in an E30 BMW. I have a lot more fun '"racing" than driving anything on the street. Plus, I live in Baltimore where the streets are complete **** and traffic is terrible so a GTI DSG is perfect for me.
This is basically me, though I am still working on the racing part. I lost interest in street cars when I was doing tons of DE when I was in school...

i too have a DSG GTI. Iirc you reverse commute to Va. my current commute is 1.5 miles to old town. Can’t imagine having a nice street car around here....
Old 07-17-2019, 12:25 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Totally! I have a super perfect three pedal red sled that I never drive. I figure when I get old enough and they take my race license away I will do casual track days in it and tell kids in 700hp mustangs about my good old days.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:35 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Used to have a Boxster S drive to the track car, but sold it due to lack of room, big mistake.

Will be selling my 964 Cab -- just picked up a Cayman S and collecting track bits....

Donating a crap-boxster to become a Chump car === so I'll have 4 track Porsches.....

I could care less about street driving -- I have a Cayenne for DD and tow vehicle, SPB and 911 race car, ChumpBoxster to come -- and the Cayman will be my drive to the track car.

Now my wife on the other hand loves driving her P-cars on the street -- but she hasn't caught the track bug, despite my best attempts.

Mike
Old 07-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Racecars are definitely more engaging, from both driving and building/preparing/problem-solving standpoints. Problem is they are a lot more cost and hassle to enjoy, and you are limited by the calendar of events. My racecar isn't street legal, and wouldn't be any fun on the road anyway. I also have an old 911 and while I'd never push it like a racecar on the street, it's still really fun to take out on the back roads and canyons. The driving isn't as engaging as a racecar but it's fun to hang out with friends and go exploring in our old cars. It's also fun to be able to tinker and get instant satisfaction, rather than towing for hours and paying hundreds to test out your latest modifications/repairs. Old cars are so much less capable than the new stuff, you still have to focus to get it right. When I drive 500+HP sports cars on the street it's pretty frustrating (and potentially dangerous) without a lot of open road.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:06 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
So I've been doing regular DEs for about the last three years with my 986. Being an older car that I bought in stock form and developed quite a bit, I've spent a lot of time and energy on it. My buddies are now in the process of buying a car to race AER.

All the while, I have a beautiful, engaging 993TT sitting in my garage that I never use. Drove it maybe twice this year. Its not a low mile garage queen either.

I don't have any urge to go on "canyon run" style drives anymore and its just easier to get in my cayenne to go somewhere.

I still like the 993 and don't really wanna sell it, but I just have no interest in "fun" street driving. Nor do I care about any of the latest/greatest street performance cars.

Do any of you guys who track regularly still like going on fun drives on the street, or is street driving just for the mundane at this point?
I'm in the same boat as you Oliver, only the fleet is a little larger.

Driving on the street is totally "mundane" and the idea of "opening it up" can get you in a lot of trouble fast and isn't worth the risk IMHO. I've been contemplating shuffling things around a bit too, but then I tell myself it is nice to have some variety.

AER does a great job of running the show.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Has anyone completely lost interest in their street car?