Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 GT4 Clubsport MR Livery

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 01:07 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 763 Likes on 386 Posts

Peter, I am expressing my opinion. If he wants that view, more power to him. But, it doesn't change the fact that it is terrible in my opinion. The track view horizontally is a little bit more than 1/2 the screen and vertically it is about 1/6 of the screen. So, overall, the front track view get about 1/12 of the view seeing the track in front. Heck, the wing takes up just about as much screen real estate as the track in front. Hell the view out the side window has more real estate than the front view of the track.

If that is the only option that system provides for him seeing his hands, it is a flawed system. In conjunction with my rear view mirror, I get a better front and rear view out of my single SmartyCam HD, while seeing my hands, than he gets with two cameras and the system he is using....
Old 07-26-2019, 01:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Peter, I am expressing my opinion. If he wants that view, more power to him. But, it doesn't change the fact that it is terrible in my opinion. The track view horizontally is a little bit more than 1/2 the screen and vertically it is about 1/6 of the screen. So, overall, the front track view get about 1/12 of the view seeing the track in front. Heck, the wing takes up just about as much screen real estate as the track in front. Hell the view out the side window has more real estate than the front view of the track.

If that is the only option that system provides for him seeing his hands, it is a flawed system. In conjunction with my rear view mirror, I get a better front and rear view out of my single SmartyCam HD, while seeing my hands, than he gets with two cameras and the system the way he is using it....
FIFY

Yeah, well, I've seen plenty of 120 degree FOV SmartyCams that look like the same thing (track view a bit more than 1/2 the screen, about 1/6 visible vertically) mounted in the same place.

I agree with your opinion, just said that the way it was designed was to be deployed in a different way than shown.

Alan had a SmartyCam before and he likes this better. That's the best part about all this stuff. To each his (or her) own. He likes it, set it up that way and that's all that matters.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-26-2019, 01:47 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

If that is the only option that system provides for him seeing his hands, it is a flawed system. In conjunction with my rear view mirror, I get a better front and rear view out of my single SmartyCam HD, while seeing my hands, than he gets with two cameras and the system he is using....
The first time I hooked up the VBox at Cota I had the front camera all the way upfront which showed the road really well, but couldn't see my hands and at one time when I spun the car through the esses when I looked at the video afterwards you couldn't even tell I spun, it looked more like I just pulled over and stopped and I had no idea what my hands were doing during this spin.

Also the further back the camera is the more you will see movement of the car, yes the camera angel is a bit wide, and yes the view of the track is smaller but at the same time with my wink mirror, and decal helping block the sun on my front windshield this was the best position I could find to capture what I wanted.

Also I am using the VBox for self coaching, not necessarily for entertainment purposes and so far has been doing a great job of that.

Here is a video of my older CS at Cota, I assume you like this camera position better.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:02 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

One other thing to add when comparing Smarty Cam to the Vbox.

My Smarty Cam worked just fine and was able to capture both the road and hands very nicely, the main reason I switched to the VBox is the higher resolution but also because I wanted a rear camera setup for my races and did not want to deal with 2 SD cards and then having to splice the 2 videos together as that can be a bit time consuming.

If I placed the Smarty Cam in a position that was also capturing my rear view mirror then it was also blocking my view when looking out the back for cars coming.

Also the VBox data and is much more user friendly then the AIM, even though I knew the Aim software pretty well but when comparing laps and segments nothing does a better job then the VBox software.

Plus I think the rear camera is so cool looking when see all those cars behind me, could not capture something like that with your rear view mirror.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I think you are doing GREAT, Alan! Keep posting them up! I do prefer the COTA view, myself, great use of the rear camera.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:15 PM
winders
Race Car

Like I said, if you are happy with the view more power to you. But, that would not work for me as the front view is more important to me than 1/12th the screen......
Old 07-26-2019, 03:07 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Like I said, if you are happy with the view more power to you. But, that would not work for me as the front view is more important to me than 1/12th the screen......
Guess it also depends what you are watching it on.

Smaller laptop or phone not so much but when I put it on my 110in projection TV or Home PC which has a 34in super wide screen its obviously going to be better and with the higher resolution then the SC it's a win.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:12 PM
winders
Race Car

I am MUCH more interested in what is going on in front of me.....
Old 07-26-2019, 03:54 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Old 07-27-2019, 02:41 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

The viewing angle is too wide for the camera location. The view through the windshield is too small. The view should have the left A-pillar on the far left and the right A-pillar on the far right. Instead, on the right we see halfway out the door window. Look at the video in my thread about about the White Group race on Sunday at Laguna. You can see my hands and everything else you might want to see yet the view of the track is great.
Watched part of your video, seems you have your settings on your SC to "Open Cockpit Vehicle" because the outside exposure is really high, might want to try out "Close Cockpit Vehicle" it will balance out the outside and inside a little better.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Clubsport MR Livery